34 posts / 0 new
Last post
strapped for cash's picture
RE: Sony BDP S-790, Pioneer BDP-450, or alternative?

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

I'm (possibly) going to get a GT50 tomorrow, if I do, I'll be in the same boat as you.

Looking at reviews, the 790 seems to be by far the best choice, but the Pana 310 has twin HDMI, and I've found one here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-DMP-BDT310-Blu-Ray-Player-DMP-BDT310-DMPBDT310-/300837986611?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_DVDPlayers_Recorders&hash=item460b576133 , though you could get a brand spanking new 790 for not that much more.

Let us know if you do get a GT50. I think the post-Christmas price drop makes it worthwhile, as long as the sets we get are largely problem free.

I think I need to audition a 790 to see how noisy it is in operation. Looking at your signature, I also owned a 360, but sold it and bought the Denon because I found the 360's high pitched whine a constant distraction. 

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:
My understanding is that LX55's playback issues were worse than 450.

I thought the latest firmware update fixed that?

I'd read about playback issues with the 55 as well, which is why I hadn't considered it. I'd be grateful if any owners could clarify whether the problems are fixed with the latest firmware. 

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

I'm (possibly) going to get a GT50 tomorrow, if I do, I'll be in the same boat as you.

Looking at reviews, the 790 seems to be by far the best choice, but the Pana 310 has twin HDMI, and I've found one here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-DMP-BDT310-Blu-Ray-Player-DMP-BDT310-DMPBDT310-/300837986611?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_DVDPlayers_Recorders&hash=item460b576133 , though you could get a brand spanking new 790 for not that much more.

Let us know if you do get a GT50. I think the post-Christmas price drop makes it worthwhile, as long as the sets we get are largely problem free.

I think I need to audition a 790 to see how noisy it is in operation. Looking at your signature, I also owned a 360, but sold it and bought the Denon because I found the 360's high pitched whine a constant distraction. 

Have you got John Lewis to thrown in the free Panasonic 3D blu-ray player?  Because I am not sure whether you will need another one just for 3D.  With the Pioneer 55 Home Cinema Choice just done a three page spread on it and highly recommended it.  They were comparing it to the likes of the Pioneer 91 Blu-ray player!

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

gel wrote:

Have you got John Lewis to thrown in the free Panasonic 3D blu-ray player?  Because I am not sure whether you will need another one just for 3D.  With the Pioneer 55 Home Cinema Choice just done a three page spread on it and highly recommended it.  They were comparing it to the likes of the Pioneer 91 Blu-ray player!

There was an offer with a free BDP, but since the price drop John Lewis only sell the TV by itself. I didn't consider this a problem, since John Lewis don't sell any Blu-ray players with two HDMI outs.

That said, my other option is to buy a cheap 3D-ready BDP with an optical out. I'd have to set the BDP to output PCM and in theory I'd lose some audio data. This might be a reasonable compromise, as the great majority of my viewing won't be in 3D. I could then use my Denon 2500BT for all other Blu-ray/DVD duties.

Decisions... I'll try to track down the HCC LX55 feature as well. Should be worth a read!

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

There was an offer with a free BDP, but since the price drop John Lewis only sell the TV by itself. I didn't consider this a problem, since John Lewis don't sell any Blu-ray players with two HDMI outs.

That said, my other option is to buy a cheap 3D-ready BDP with an optical out. I'd have to set the BDP to output PCM and in theory I'd lose some audio data. This might be a reasonable compromise, as the great majority of my viewing won't be in 3D. I could then use my Denon 2500BT for all other Blu-ray/DVD duties.

Decisions... I'll try to track down the HCC LX55 feature as well. Should be worth a read!

No they have done a new offer today on the John Lewis website if you type in Panasonic 50gt50 and search you will see it.  They will throw it in if you give your local one a call.  I have been informed by two really credible sources the 55 is really good, but I have not seen it.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

gel's picture

http://www.johnlewis.com/Search/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=Panasonic+50gt50

It is the one on the right.  And you get two 3D Blu-rays.   Smile  BBB has just got it thrown in too for £999!

gel wrote:

It is the one on the right.  And you get two 3D Blu-rays.   Smile  BBB has just got it thrown in too for £999!

Thanks Gel!

Took a bit of negotiating with JL, but got it all sorted. No free Blu-ray discs, though (unless they're being sent and I'm not aware). Anyway, I'm happy with that. I'll use the cheap Pana for 3D, and my Denon for everything else. Now just waiting for it all to be delivered. Delivery is three days later than originally arranged, but I'm happy to wait and get the BDP as well.

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

Thanks Gel!

Took a bit of negotiating with JL, but got it all sorted. No free Blu-ray discs, though (unless they're being sent and I'm not aware). Anyway, I'm happy with that. I'll use the cheap Pana for 3D, and my Denon for everything else. Now just waiting for it all to be delivered. Delivery is three days later than originally arranged, but I'm happy to wait and get the BDP as well.

Nice one!   Smile  You will have to claim the two 3D Blu-rays via a form here

http://www.johnlewis.com/231612826/Product.aspx

http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/offer/avatar-and-titanic-blu-ray-movie-offer/

gel wrote:

Awesome. I can't stand Avatar or Titanic, but it'll be good to have a few more 3D test discs. Smile

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

Awesome. I can't stand Avatar or Titanic, but it'll be good to have a few more 3D test discs. Smile

Laughing

greycounciller's picture

Just to throw in my lot, I have the Pioneer BDP 450 and primarily, it is a very good player, but it does have some issues. For me, it's been freezing while using DNLA features.

This will definitely need a firmware fix to sort out properly.

Sonically and visually, it's very good and mine is dead silent in operation. Loading is very quick with either Blurays or regular DVD's.

I chose this player as it's a universal player. Had I not needed that aspect, I would have gone for the Sony.

As it stands, I'll rate this 7/10 with 10/10 possible if a firmware update sorts out the DNLA side.

pioneer7's picture

Review of the pioneer 450 in this months mag 5stars, pretty much all players have niggles does not mean which ever player you buy will duff... Wink

Many thanks for the responses. My cheapskate (perhaps temporary) solution will be to use the free Panasonic 120 BDP I'm getting with my soon to be delivered GT50 TV.

It's good to have information on the 450 for possible future reference, though.

duaplex's picture

I have the LX54 and I cannot wait to leave it behind me. The players by pioneer are good when they work. If this pioneer is as sluggish to start up as mine then avoid! Mine takes 4 mins to start one 3D film, god forbid I press power off twice in a row as this will either cause me to wait for ages (eventually resulting in me yanking the power cord) or freeze the player. It's unresponsive and too slow.

In regards to playback - I still cannot watch Prometheus 3D or get through the menu system on star trek the next gen bluray. This is supposed to be fixed with the next update, but how long before it happens again. Imagine how I feel when a £100 old Panasonic has no problems playing the same disc.

Go for either the Sony, BDT 500 or Denton as advised by BB.

duaplex's picture

Denton = Denon  :wall:

Pages