3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Glen12's picture
Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Using both HDMI's or one?
English

I'm about to purchase a Panasonic DMP-BDT500 bluray player. In the manual online it states that if you use the 2nd HDMI output for audio only to reciever (and the main HDMI directly to TV) then the audio will be superior in quality. Has anyone at What Hi Fi? noticed this to be the case? I haven't read a review stating this is true/advisable with any blu ray players that have x2 HDMI outputs. Also would this in turn improve picture quality too? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? (I will attempt to trial and post an opinion) 

Oldboy's picture
RE: Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Using both HDMI's or one?

I've covered this previously in my thread 'my settings for the Panasonic DMP-BDT500EB', as far as i'm aware the manual is refering to the improved sound over current/previous models when connecting the player via this method.

I've carried out a test personally by connecting the player via both methods with my favoured Dark Knight bluray as a test disc and found no difference what so ever between the two different methods of connection in either sound or picture quality. I have my 500 connected with one hdmi as i've 3d capable kit all round and don't wish to introduce yet more cables and after my test it's staying that way, i think that wording in the manual is both unclear and misleading imo.

Of course experiment when you get your 500 but i found absolutely no difference between the two methods of connection, hope that helps...i did mean to send off an email to Panasonic for clarification on the matter, i'm going to do it now you've reminded me and report back.

EDIT: I've just spoken to Panasonic customer support and it would seem that the wording is not great in the manual...what it refers to is that you can receive richer sound by connecting to a non 3d amp via this method, over a digital coaxial connection for example, i was told that you pay no penalty for connecting via one hdmi in either picture or sound quality which makes me feel better about how good my eyes and ears are after my test of the player.

Could it just be that something got lost in translation...it would seem so as it's strange wording on p11 of the manual  :?

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Glen12's picture
RE: Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Using both HDMI's or one?

That's brilliant. Thanks for that.