35 posts / 0 new
Last post
davidvann's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 12 hours ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 13:16
Posts: 170
RE: Oppo or not

hi jasper09, i have the arcam bdp 300 ,with my lx508d i find the picture quality fantastic,i know arcam had real problems with the bdp 100 ,but this machine so far no problems load speeds are fast picture and sound is fantastic ,i changed from the pioneer lx08 bluray player to arcam,if you get a chance to check one of these out befor buying a new player it's well worth a look.regaurding calibration i spoke to steve withers about having it done but he said that the pioneers we so accurate out of the box but, other say it does drift over time so it's hard to know if worth having it done as it's very expencive.good luck david

 

ellisdj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2008 - 17:55
Posts: 1388
RE: Oppo or not

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

8 G D65 HDMI Settings.txt

I'm pretty sure these are the settings I used, hopefully the link will work.

 

These look like Bumptious ball park figures to me - might not be though - he always posts get you closeish to a full cal.

your tv will have 2 point white balance controls - at the perfect contrast setting you will most likely get a good greyscale reading and flatish gamma so a good calibarted set.  Out of the box will not compare to a properly calibrated set - no tv comes calibrated and it makes a Big Difference!

Probs best to keep your blu ray - if you wanted faster newer features etc my cousin has just bought the Panasonic BDT500 - top range panny player for £170 big difference to £500 for the oppo.  Only you can tell if you see / hear a difference.

He thinks its very good - he had a Pioneer LX71 before.  He has got a Panasonic 65VT65 TV though to compare on calibrated by me Cool

I am yet to see his new player so cant pass judgement but I am keen to see it.

In contrast to common opinion.  I am going to back to recal my Dads ZT65 - as my new cal method is amazing and the picture quality I now get is ridiculous - it really brings out the quality of these new sets.  Last I went round his and watched my Pacific Rim on his Pioneer LX55 blu ray on a still calibrated 2.4 gamma ZT it did not even come close to what I get from my setup - to me it looked pretty pants.

However I am reserving full judgement until I calibrate it again as that does make a huge difference.

Meridian 861 V4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST - GIK Acoustics

Monitor Audio PL100, GXC 150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA

Custom Audio PC LPSU + Batts, JPLAY, JCAT and PPA Studio

Panny 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, Graham Slee Cables, Isotek, XLO

ellisdj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2008 - 17:55
Posts: 1388
RE: Oppo or not

Just seen the Panasonic bdt500 player as mentioned above, feeeding a.calibrated 65VT65

Using settings suggested in the hd tv test  review of the tv as being the best to feed it i.e 444 and chroma upsampling set to advanced the player was night and day better than the pioneer lx08 player he had before for picture. 

Seems to be a very good player as reviewed and for.£160 ish is a bloody good option, especially if you have a 65 range Panasonic tv

Its the sharpest and cleanest i have seen the tv look

 

 

Meridian 861 V4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST - GIK Acoustics

Monitor Audio PL100, GXC 150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA

Custom Audio PC LPSU + Batts, JPLAY, JCAT and PPA Studio

Panny 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, Graham Slee Cables, Isotek, XLO

jase fox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 24/04/2008 - 17:37
Posts: 1423
RE: Oppo or not

Hi Jasper09

I can't comment on the oppo as never tried one, but if Michael Hoy say's there is a slight improvement then you can take it to the bank.

Now for people who say there is no difference between budget and high end players in terms of picture performance - I do not agree! I don't know where they come up with that conclusion? If there wasn't any difference I would own a budget player.

Besides if they where all the same then Whathifi would be out of a job in reviewing players.

I recently took hold of a Denon 3313ud which replaced my Denon 2500BT and the difference in PQ is there to be seen from the start as soon as the film rolls, didn't even need to look for it.

Now the 2500BT is still a fantastic picture, and still better than most mid market machines, and up until the denon 3313udI didn't find any other player to match it.

If your in need of 3D then yes your going to need to change it, but if your looking for a better picture then the 3313 would give you that, If it didn't I'd still have the 2500BT.

jase fox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 24/04/2008 - 17:37
Posts: 1423
RE: Oppo or not

gel wrote:

michael hoy wrote:

Hi and welcome.

I am not sure of the Darbee element of the OPPO (D), I had the 2500BT for a long time and now own the OPPO 95.

Depending on whether or not you want / need the extra features and of course the HD audio, picture quality wise the OPPO 95 is better but not night and day.

Personally I would change from a 2500BT to an OPPO again, but maybe save some money by not buying the 103D and get the 103.

Can you demo?

 

Agreed, 103 is a good player.

Yes from reviews I've read the 103 is a good player with which is the player I was maybe thinking of getting however, other reviews I read for the Denon 3313ud say that it slightly bettered the 103 and these comments where from other 103 owners. Looking at the quality of the 3313 I'm not surprised! So i was happy with those reviews as I personally love the look of Denon players, as it is my preferred brand.
Mtenga's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/07/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 54
RE: Oppo or not

You ask where people came up with the conclusion that there is no difference between budget and high end then I'll say the answer is by owning them. I recently sold a Denon 3313, and currently own a Pioneer 450, Panasonic 130 and PS3. There is no meaningful difference in bluray between any of them and the difference in DVD is marginal at best. The Denon cost ten times the Panasonic and nearly three times the Pioneer.

The only real difference is price, file support, features such as MC analogue and build quality which may or may not be of value. The Pionner at 180 does everything that the Denon at 500 did, since they are both transports, but is not as well built. In fact it works flawlessly which is more than can be said for the Denon which had issues. As others have said upgrading the AVR, TV and Speakers  is going to show more performance gain than buying an expensive player. Bar build quality and features  500 quid plus transports are just about fashion to me.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12964
RE: Oppo or not

My experience is similar to Mtenga.

jase fox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 24/04/2008 - 17:37
Posts: 1423
RE: Oppo or not

Mtenga wrote:

You ask where people came up with the conclusion that there is no difference between budget and high end then I'll say the answer is by owning them. I recently sold a Denon 3313, and currently own a Pioneer 450, Panasonic 130 and PS3. There is no meaningful difference in bluray between any of them and the difference in DVD is marginal at best. The Denon cost ten times the Panasonic and nearly three times the Pioneer.

The only real difference is price, file support, features such as MC analogue and build quality which may or may not be of value. The Pionner at 180 does everything that the Denon at 500 did, since they are both transports, but is not as well built. In fact it works flawlessly which is more than can be said for the Denon which had issues. As others have said upgrading the AVR, TV and Speakers  is going to show more performance gain than buying an expensive player. Bar build quality and features  500 quid plus transports are just about fashion to me.

I've also owned / demo'd high end / budget players also and my conclusion is different to yours.

There is a difference between the Denon 1713ud and the 3313ud in terms of picture quality (to my eyes) so on this subject It's safe to say we'll have to agree to disagree.

The only way of anyone really knowing for themselves is to try do a home demo, people evidently come up with different results, but that's what makes it so diverse, It'd be boring if it wasn't .

And 500 quid for transports is about fashion you say? Or is it about cutting out all the connectivity etc that you'll never need to use and to just give the purist connection possible?? Mine is the latter. Again, different opinions.

I've always thought this with amps. If I could design my own amp and only add connectivity for what I'd use I wander how much I'd save?? All those wasted ports etc that I'm never going to use, not to mention all the silly processing sound effect modes. 

 

 

jase fox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 24/04/2008 - 17:37
Posts: 1423
RE: Oppo or not

When I went from the Denon 1713ud to the 3313ud watching animation was a revelation, the difference in PQ was amazing almost looking 3D, you didn't even need to scrutinise it, eye popping comes to mind.

So when I hear that folk like yourselves say you can't see any differences I'm always amazed by that, I really am  :? Watching Rango and finding nemo for e.g the detail is outstanding, better contrast levels to enhance shadow detail is 2nd to none.

Moving on to a movie like Insidious where the mother goes looking around the attic, I could see detail in the dark scenes I'd not noticed before, whilst at the same time it gave great black levels and not grey looking. The same with Skyfall, whilst bond is in the house again the level of detail in the shadow / dark scenes is fantastic.

Amazed...

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12997
RE: Oppo or not

jase fox wrote:

gel wrote:

michael hoy wrote:

Hi and welcome.

I am not sure of the Darbee element of the OPPO (D), I had the 2500BT for a long time and now own the OPPO 95.

Depending on whether or not you want / need the extra features and of course the HD audio, picture quality wise the OPPO 95 is better but not night and day.

Personally I would change from a 2500BT to an OPPO again, but maybe save some money by not buying the 103D and get the 103.

Can you demo?

 

Agreed, 103 is a good player.

Yes from reviews I've read the 103 is a good player with which is the player I was maybe thinking of getting however, other reviews I read for the Denon 3313ud say that it slightly bettered the 103 and these comments where from other 103 owners. Looking at the quality of the 3313 I'm not surprised! So i was happy with those reviews as I personally love the look of Denon players, as it is my preferred brand.

 

I am quite tempted now to try the Denon 3313 and Frank Harvey look like they are doing a good deal on it at £450.  The only thing keeping me back is the last 4 Blu-Ray players I have tried have all been the same.  I might still be tempted though!   :?

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

jase fox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 24/04/2008 - 17:37
Posts: 1423
RE: Oppo or not

gel wrote:

jase fox wrote:

gel wrote:

michael hoy wrote:

Hi and welcome.

I am not sure of the Darbee element of the OPPO (D), I had the 2500BT for a long time and now own the OPPO 95.

Depending on whether or not you want / need the extra features and of course the HD audio, picture quality wise the OPPO 95 is better but not night and day.

Personally I would change from a 2500BT to an OPPO again, but maybe save some money by not buying the 103D and get the 103.

Can you demo?

 

Agreed, 103 is a good player.

Yes from reviews I've read the 103 is a good player with which is the player I was maybe thinking of getting however, other reviews I read for the Denon 3313ud say that it slightly bettered the 103 and these comments where from other 103 owners. Looking at the quality of the 3313 I'm not surprised! So i was happy with those reviews as I personally love the look of Denon players, as it is my preferred brand.

 

I am quite tempted now to try the Denon 3313 and Frank Harvey look like they are doing a good deal on it at £450.  The only thing keeping me back is the last 4 Blu-Ray players I have tried have all been the same.  I might still be tempted though!   :?

Well if you can Gel, I'd say at least give it a demo, what you got to lose   Blum 3 It'll either make you want it? Or It'll make your bluray count to 5!!  :grin:
gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12997
RE: Oppo or not

jase fox wrote:

gel wrote:

jase fox wrote:

gel wrote:

michael hoy wrote:

Hi and welcome.

I am not sure of the Darbee element of the OPPO (D), I had the 2500BT for a long time and now own the OPPO 95.

Depending on whether or not you want / need the extra features and of course the HD audio, picture quality wise the OPPO 95 is better but not night and day.

Personally I would change from a 2500BT to an OPPO again, but maybe save some money by not buying the 103D and get the 103.

Can you demo?

 

Agreed, 103 is a good player.

Yes from reviews I've read the 103 is a good player with which is the player I was maybe thinking of getting however, other reviews I read for the Denon 3313ud say that it slightly bettered the 103 and these comments where from other 103 owners. Looking at the quality of the 3313 I'm not surprised! So i was happy with those reviews as I personally love the look of Denon players, as it is my preferred brand.

 

I am quite tempted now to try the Denon 3313 and Frank Harvey look like they are doing a good deal on it at £450.  The only thing keeping me back is the last 4 Blu-Ray players I have tried have all been the same.  I might still be tempted though!   :?

Well if you can Gel, I'd say at least give it a demo, what you got to lose   Blum 3 It'll either make you want it? Or It'll make your bluray count to 5!!  :grin:

 

Quite true.   :grin:  I am going to have a think about it, I haven't got anywhere to demo though!   :wall:  I probably just risk it.   :grin:

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

jase fox's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 24/04/2008 - 17:37
Posts: 1423
RE: Oppo or not

I've also owned your current pioneer player Gel and again IMO It's better!!

As for just buying it out right?  :? Only you can decide that but all I can say is that It's a fantstic player.

Fantastic build, silky smooth loading tray, fast start up times, very fast responsive times with commands etc Reference grade picture quality!! 

Although some people do report issues with streaming etc there's also others that havn't, I on the other hand wont use it for those purposes however, being the perfectionist I am if I did need to stream I'd buy a dedicated machine for that.

It's no different to people complaining that there mobile phones don't take good photo's, It's a phone, not a camera, again the purist will buy a camera if taking good pictures is your thing.

IMO you can't beat a dedicated CD player for playing CD's, some bluray players are better than others at playing them, but I havn't heard one yet that tops my Arcam, I also listen to the same music you do Gel, Metallibosher all day long mate  Blum 3

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12964
RE: Oppo or not

Oh gel! You do realise you've lost money in the process of selling your Oppo, only to buy another within 3 months!  :doh:

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12997
RE: Oppo or not

I think I am going to ask David if I can borrow one.  That seems like a good move.  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments