36 posts / 0 new
Last post
jog3004's picture
RE: Oppo 105 vs denon 3800BD

The Oppo sounds fantastic, but, one question is....considering that I will only be using it as a blu-ray player & that (as far as I am aware) the DAC is the same as the 95, would I get the same upgrade buying a 95, especially as there might be some good deals on them?

Paul@HiFi-Lounge's picture

Like the 105, the 103 is a fantastic player, I've just read the WHF review, beggers believe to be honest, it is a 5 star product in my view.

It really does come down to if you feel that you will use the added features of the 105, if you just want a high end Blu ray player which will be fed into a processor/reciever then the 103 is all that is needed really as the picture quality will be identical, but the 105 with the headphone amp, digital inputs and reference analogue section is the player for me.

I did a little shootout of the analogue section of the 103 v 105 here if you'd like a read -

http://hifilounge.tumblr.com/tagged/Oppo

gel's picture

Paul@HiFi-Lounge wrote:

Like the 105, the 103 is a fantastic player, I've just read the WHF review, beggers believe to be honest, it is a 5 star product in my view.

Laughing

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd re-visit this thread as yesterday I spent all day demoing the 105 in varous different set-ups, firstly in a high end Naim system using Unity Gain on a Naim NAC 282 so we could achive a high end 2ch system and then with the flick of a button we had a reference movie system, then moved over to the Bryston system but going straight into the 7B SST2 mono blocks, then as a headphone set-up and it worked 100% perfectly every time.

I was really impressed with the headphone side as I hadn't got round to trying this yet, I love the way that as soon as you plug in the phones it mutes the volume and you get an independent variable volume for the headphones, which is really useful and a feature many dedicated headphone amps don't have, and it drove our HiFiMan HE-500's really well so it's a pretty good head amp section considering it is a Blu Ray player primarily.

The Denon 3800 is still a fantastic player but the more time I spend with the 105 it just amazes me at its overall quality and just how damn versatile it is.

GSB's picture

Iv'e had mine a day,it was so easy to set-up...for a novice.

Listen to a multi-chanel SACD this afternoon,Dark side of the moon,had it since release,but oh my lord...wow!!

Watched TDKR,105 decoding audio and boy oh boy :grin:

ideal av's picture

I firmly believe the OPPO 105 to be best bluray player on the market at the moment at sub £1000, its unbeatable and more or less future proof

the analogue section is probably one of the best you could ever listen to and the reviews its recieving, and will recieve, are all founded

if anyone can think of a better machine for the money then please let me know what it is

GSB wrote:

Iv'e had mine a day,it was so easy to set-up...for a novice.

Listen to a multi-chanel SACD this afternoon,Dark side of the moon,had it since release,but oh my lord...wow!!

Watched TDKR,105 decoding audio and boy oh boy :grin:

Hi GSB,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your 105, awesome bit of kit isn't it.

Since getting our 105 I've been on a bit of a SACD buying frenzy so I just wanted to say if you can get a copy of 'Wish You Were Here' then I highly recommend it as it is a fantastic 5.1 mix and in my opinion a better album than DSOTM.

It cost me around £40 but worth every penny  Smile

GSB's picture

Hey Paul,can you recommend a good site for sacd....apart from amazon & flea-bay?

Wish You Were Hear is on my list,as is some Dire-Straits:)

jog3004's picture

Now enters a new quandary in the guise of Cambridge Audio BD752. Similar spec to Oppo & £200 cheaper. Has anyone had chance to experience the CA, particularly in comparison to the Oppo, I imagine to audition both together is impossible as (as far as I'm aware) richer sounds are the only stockist of CA & are unlikely to stock Oppo due to conflict of interests.

bigboss's picture

From another site: The DAC approach and analogue stage design is very different between the 752 and Oppo 105. For those wanting DSD direct to internal DAC or wishing to avoid asynchonus sample rate conversion there appears to be no way to acheive this with the CA.

jog3004's picture

Well I'm collecting the oppo 105 tomorrow a to try for a couple of weeks. After reading reviews/opinions of this & CA 752, it appears the oppo is more exciting with action scenes etc on blu ray, which is what it will be predominantly used for, I will be using the internal DAC of the Oppo as my Arcam AV9 doesn't convert HDsignal. Here's to a thoroughly enjoyable weekend of testing & comparing against my BD3800 :grin:

Native_bon's picture

I have got my oppo 105 for close to 3 weeks now. and its stil improving..  This machine is tech marvel. It does so much & does it excellently.. Am very imppress. I have used it with my laptop, & my solid state harddrive to playing music throught its anlanouge outputs. Even the headphone amp is very good. Am a music producer so i got a lot of flie types on my hard drive & it played just about everything.

Also using it as transport for my Audio lab M-dac.. My M-dac has never sounded so good. I have even plugged my GTX 690 graphics card throught the oppo 105 into my main screen.. YOU KIDDING ME.. THE PICTURES OUT THE THIS WORLD.. 

Music wise its got a very clean sound & very musical.. But the sound is not one bit hard. It  depends on what am listening to.. most of the time i use my M-dac to do the convertion.As am speaking now am goin to settle dwn to see how this machine deals with 3D movies.

I would recommend this machine to anyone.

Edit: Oh i forgot to mention networking.. that way as easy as A B C to setup.. & its working beautifully.

OPPO 105EU, Arcam AVR450, Boston Acoustics M340. Dac: Musical fedility V90.

surroundman's picture

Hi guys,

is really worth it to spend 1000 £ for oppo 105 compare to e.g  Pioneer BDP-450, Sony BDP S 790, Panasonic DMP-BDT500 ?

Can you really hear much sound improvement in oppo 105 compare to cheaper players ??

Because I am not sure at all. I have read avforums review  of oppo 105 one  of the positive   was 7.1 Analogue audio outputs.

I do not Get it , is year 2013 what is advantaGe of 7.1 Analogue audio outputs ??????

If somebody have 1000 £ to spend for just Player I am sure that this person have 400-1000£ to spend on quality receiver so , no need for 7.1 Analogue audio outputs ?

If I am wrong then sorry guys, prove me it, Please ! What kind of any reason would be to spend 1000 £ for just player ?? Is your ears different to my , becasue my are very sensitive, but if there is massive difference between oppo 105 and other cheaper 5 stars players, then I WILL BUY IT honestly.

Many thanks

bigboss's picture

Basically, Oppo 105 employs an ESS Sabre32 DAC for its analogue connection, which is supposed to result in superior audio performance. Whether it's worth the extra spend or not, only you can decide. Definitely demo before purchase. When I demoed, I did not think the small improvement was worth the extra outlay for my use.

jog3004's picture

Surroundman, you are entitled to your opinion, just as others are, like me, to choose to spend £1000 on a piece of equipment. I have always maintained that hifi/home cinema is subjective & different people hear differently. I chose the oppo because of the quality of the 7.1 anologue outputs as I don't want to swap my much loved av9 &P1 power amps, so this was the best option for me. Others may have other reasons. My purchase was justified because that's what I wanted to do, you choose the best route you want, as you are entitled to do,  the Oppo for me is noticeably better than my previous denon 3800, both on sound& picture. With all hifi/home cinema diminishing return has always been an issue & a modern £400 blu ray player may have less difference compared to the Oppo than my ageing denon, but I chose what I wanted to spend & purchase, just as you are entitled to.

Pages