Have your say & ask the experts!

Oppo 105 sound setup question

11 replies [Last post]
Al ears's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Posts: 2434

I' ve just got the Oppo 105eu and having a problem with setting up the sound on it.

It is connected directly by hdmi cable to my TV and by analogue output phono cables to my stereo pre-amp.

As well as watching bluray DVD's I am using it as a SACD player through my stereo system.

My question is do I have to go back into the Audio Setup section every time I want to switch from TV to stereo system?

__________________

Origin Live Aurora Gold+Illustrious Mk2 arm+Zyx R100-02/Stello CDT200+Stello DA220 dac/Tom Evans Groove Anniversary phono amp/Tom Evans Vibe preamp/Linear A power amp/Acoustic Zen Adagios/Chord cables/Oppo 105EU.

visionary's picture
Offline
Joined: 4 Apr 2008
Posts: 731
RE: Oppo 105 sound setup question

"The STEREO AUDIO OUT terminals automatically down-mix the multi-channel audio source into the stereo signals. However, STEREO AUDIO OUT will NOT be affected by the “Down mix” modes and other speaker settings in the Audio Processing of Setup Menu (described on page 70)."

 

Is from the manual. I guess that means you can set it up for your home theatre and NOT have to change anything to play SACD via your stereo Happy to be corrected and look forward to your updates as I'm thinking of buying one to use in the same way

__________________

Sonos ZP90>Missing Link "Digit">Dacmagic>Chord Cadenza>Leema Tucana I>Van Damme UP LC-OFC>ATC SCM40s

Sonos Connect:Amp>Mission 760i and MA Radius 90HD in series

Sonos Play 5 x2, Play 3

Al ears's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Posts: 2434
RE: Oppo 105 sound setup question

I read all that but it's not that simple. I am not playing through a Home Theatre set-up just staight into my TV.

When you play a SACD it outputs sound over HDMI, i.e. to the TV unless you go into the Audio menu each time and switch HDMI sound off.

You then have to go back in and switch it on again if you want to watch a blu-ray disc.

That is unless I am missing something simple somewhere.

I have asked the supplier for some guidance.

__________________

Origin Live Aurora Gold+Illustrious Mk2 arm+Zyx R100-02/Stello CDT200+Stello DA220 dac/Tom Evans Groove Anniversary phono amp/Tom Evans Vibe preamp/Linear A power amp/Acoustic Zen Adagios/Chord cables/Oppo 105EU.

Al ears's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Posts: 2434
RE: Oppo 105 sound setup question

visionary wrote:

"The STEREO AUDIO OUT terminals automatically down-mix the multi-channel audio source into the stereo signals. However, STEREO AUDIO OUT will NOT be affected by the “Down mix” modes and other speaker settings in the Audio Processing of Setup Menu (described on page 70)."

 

Is from the manual. I guess that means you can set it up for your home theatre and NOT have to change anything to play SACD via your stereo Happy to be corrected and look forward to your updates as I'm thinking of buying one to use in the same way

Hi Visionary,

It turns out that you do need to keep TV switched off when you are listening to a SACD disc as the Oppo will try to output through the HDMI port as well as the phonos if it is not disabled in the menu.

This machine has obviously been designed with home theatre in mind and not one to be used in the manner that I have it hooked-up.

That said to not let me put you off getting one because after first audition it is quite apparent that picture quality is better than my Sony BDP-S790 blu-ray player and sound quality with SACD's is better than my Marantz SA15S1!

__________________

Origin Live Aurora Gold+Illustrious Mk2 arm+Zyx R100-02/Stello CDT200+Stello DA220 dac/Tom Evans Groove Anniversary phono amp/Tom Evans Vibe preamp/Linear A power amp/Acoustic Zen Adagios/Chord cables/Oppo 105EU.

GSB
GSB's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Posts: 1353
RE: Oppo 105 sound setup question

I believe i read that if you use pure direct mode the player turns of anything to do with visual puzzled

__________________

PanasonicTX-P46GT30B..Yamaha RX-A1010...Music Fidelity M3i...OPPO105EU...KEFR100/R200C/3001SE/HTB2SE...SkyHD2TB...QED Copper Speaker Cable /HDMI/Analogue...PS3...IPAD2

Al ears's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Posts: 2434
RE: Oppo 105 sound setup question

GSB wrote:

I believe i read that if you use pure direct mode the player turns of anything to do with visual puzzled

That is true in the sense that it acts only on the hdmi output. It has nothing to do with audio output though.

__________________

Origin Live Aurora Gold+Illustrious Mk2 arm+Zyx R100-02/Stello CDT200+Stello DA220 dac/Tom Evans Groove Anniversary phono amp/Tom Evans Vibe preamp/Linear A power amp/Acoustic Zen Adagios/Chord cables/Oppo 105EU.

GSB
GSB's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Posts: 1353
RE: Oppo 105 sound setup question

Sorry,i thought you were using analogues for sacd and blu-ray/tv(re read your post)

 

__________________

PanasonicTX-P46GT30B..Yamaha RX-A1010...Music Fidelity M3i...OPPO105EU...KEFR100/R200C/3001SE/HTB2SE...SkyHD2TB...QED Copper Speaker Cable /HDMI/Analogue...PS3...IPAD2

visionary's picture
Offline
Joined: 4 Apr 2008
Posts: 731
RE: Oppo 105 sound setup question

Alears wrote:

Hi Visionary,

It turns out that you do need to keep TV switched off when you are listening to a SACD disc as the Oppo will try to output through the HDMI port as well as the phonos if it is not disabled in the menu.

This machine has obviously been designed with home theatre in mind and not one to be used in the manner that I have it hooked-up.

That said to not let me put you off getting one because after first audition it is quite apparent that picture quality is better than my Sony BDP-S790 blu-ray player and sound quality with SACD's is better than my Marantz SA15S1!

Thanks for that. I'm looking for a day off when I can go down to Coventry and have a demo with David. Your feedback confirms the urge to do it Smile

__________________

Sonos ZP90>Missing Link "Digit">Dacmagic>Chord Cadenza>Leema Tucana I>Van Damme UP LC-OFC>ATC SCM40s

Sonos Connect:Amp>Mission 760i and MA Radius 90HD in series

Sonos Play 5 x2, Play 3

Al ears's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Posts: 2434
RE: Oppo 105 sound setup question

GSB wrote:

Sorry,i thought you were using analogues for sacd and blu-ray/tv(re read your post)

 

I am using phonos for SACD and HDMI to the TV. Not sure,therefore, where the 'Pure Audio mode' comes into it.

This only switches off video output so does not help me with my question.

__________________

Origin Live Aurora Gold+Illustrious Mk2 arm+Zyx R100-02/Stello CDT200+Stello DA220 dac/Tom Evans Groove Anniversary phono amp/Tom Evans Vibe preamp/Linear A power amp/Acoustic Zen Adagios/Chord cables/Oppo 105EU.

GSB
GSB's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Posts: 1353
RE: Oppo 105 sound setup question

Page41 pure audio mode:

you can enjoy higher quality audio by turning off the video processing and output. pure audio reduces any potential interferance between video and audio signals.

if for sacd playback you have selected multichannel i cant see there being a problem puzzled

also look at setting hdmi audio to auto.

__________________

PanasonicTX-P46GT30B..Yamaha RX-A1010...Music Fidelity M3i...OPPO105EU...KEFR100/R200C/3001SE/HTB2SE...SkyHD2TB...QED Copper Speaker Cable /HDMI/Analogue...PS3...IPAD2

Al ears's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Nov 2008
Posts: 2434
RE: Oppo 105 sound setup question

GSB wrote:

Page41 pure audio mode:

you can enjoy higher quality audio by turning off the video processing and output. pure audio reduces any potential interferance between video and audio signals.

if for sacd playback you have selected multichannel i cant see there being a problem puzzled

also look at setting hdmi audio to auto.

Not sure why I would select multichannel for SACD when it is playing back thru analogue outputs to a two channel stereo pre-amp.

The HDMI is set to AUTO

__________________

Origin Live Aurora Gold+Illustrious Mk2 arm+Zyx R100-02/Stello CDT200+Stello DA220 dac/Tom Evans Groove Anniversary phono amp/Tom Evans Vibe preamp/Linear A power amp/Acoustic Zen Adagios/Chord cables/Oppo 105EU.

GSB
GSB's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Posts: 1353
RE: Oppo 105 sound setup question

In settings,under playback setup sacd priority select stereo(under multichannel)

This should tell the player you want sacd playback via the analogues.

By the way,i'm only trying to help rolling on the floor laughing

You could always drop oppo an email,or a phone call....the custer service from tech guys is first class and quick!

__________________

PanasonicTX-P46GT30B..Yamaha RX-A1010...Music Fidelity M3i...OPPO105EU...KEFR100/R200C/3001SE/HTB2SE...SkyHD2TB...QED Copper Speaker Cable /HDMI/Analogue...PS3...IPAD2