35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Al ears's picture
RE: <<< DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer >>>

Personally, if you have not already done so, I would try to find a way to do a factory reset on your machine.

If you manage to get this to work then disconnect it from the 'web' so it cannot automatically update the software.

If all else fails try to find a localy electrical dealer who can change out the laser mechanism (it doesn't need to be a Denon dealer).

Loads of second hand expensive kit!

atanakata's picture

Al ears wrote:

Personally, if you have not already done so, I would try to find a way to do a factory reset on your machine.

If you manage to get this to work then disconnect it from the 'web' so it cannot automatically update the software.

If all else fails try to find a locally electrical dealer who can change out the laser mechanism (it doesn't need to be a Denon dealer).

Hiya mate, thank you for the kind suggestions..

I have..I have tried to do so.If you look above I have actually described how the Factory Reset needs to be done ( another forum member had a similar problem ) ...so I have gone trough that. It did not work. As a matter of fact my player had never been connected to the net, so it has not updated it software automatically. I did a manual update of the software - another attempt to solve the problem - no luck again...

I have also spoken to a local engineer , a friend of mine by the way , who works for Music Matters . Describing the problem to him and what I have done in order to fix it, he is nearly certain that is the laser that needs replacing ... There are 2 lasers apparently in these units , the Blu-Ray one has gone by the looks of it . The frustration raised when I counted my BluRay disc collection . No more than 60 discs , some of them watched twice ok , but at the end of the day this player has not gone trough more than 100 BluRay disc at the max...I am not happy with that durability .When you pay that much extra for quality unit - it should last more.

So he said , the lasers are normally around £120 , plus some little labour .... we are talking about trowing good money after bad money ... If I get the Sony , that would be less then £100 ... I just hope the picture is nearly as good as the Denon`s 

Al ears's picture

I see, sorry I didn't dig deeper into your thread. You are right in that you should expect these items to last a lot longer than it did.

Bad show on Denon's part in not repairing free of charge even if out of warranty.

I have an old Sony S790 and it has never put a step wrong.

Loads of second hand expensive kit!

atanakata's picture

Al ears wrote:

I see, sorry I didn't dig deeper into your thread. You are right in that you should expect these items to last a lot longer than it did.

Bad show on Denon's part in not repairing free of charge even if out of warranty.

I have an old Sony S790 and it has never put a step wrong.

I know ... I spoke to Denon few times , no such  thing offered ... They were very kind to give me the correct contacts for their authorised services , which charge £ 60 -70 for inspection only ... 

You said your Sony is been great ... Apparently , the s790 is a great product altogether ... the only thing that stops me of buying one is that I think the CD playback via the 2-ch. analog will not be as good as the Denon. It has a 192kHz/24-bit Burr Brown DACs , which is pretty good for a BluRay player . But if the new Sony`s players picture is as good as the S790 , I will be quite happy Smile

Pages