376 posts / 0 new
Last post
BenLaw's picture
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

The_Lhc wrote:

More instructions from HDD forum Max? Do you even realise how much of their lapdog you are?

Good try, but no. Max started the thread there and was told not to bother...

jjbomber's picture

[/quote]

I. I don't particular buy into the advertising conspiracy theory, although I'm confident there is more of a symbiotic relationship than WHF lets on about. I have no problem with that, I think it would do WHF a favour in the long run if they were open about this. 

[/quote]

But it works both ways. Do you seriously think Oppo are going to take out a huge advert to publicise their 3 star product? Of course not. Neither will any other manufacturer. The only ones who will advertise are those who have good reviews to publicise. So naturally the magazine is full of adverts for 5 star products. It's that simple.

I think that a Friday Afternoon Oppo has sneaked through the system and made it's way to the WHF listening room. My guess is that if they auditioned another one, they would get better results. Just my thought, that's all.

John Duncan's picture

He needn't bother here any more either.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

The_Lhc's picture

jjbomber wrote:
I think that a Friday Afternoon Oppo has sneaked through the system and made it's way to the WHF listening room. My guess is that if they auditioned another one, they would get better results. 

It wouldn't be the first time, I can remember a couple of occasions when pre-production items have found their way into the testing rooms. Later the manufacturer has sent a full production model and received an improved review.

The_Lhc's picture

John Duncan wrote:
He needn't bother here any more either.

You mean you've finally banned the whole of Ireland?

John Duncan's picture

No, only him, as I will continue to do.

Kit in state of flux

richardw42's picture

I'm not in the market, so don't have a very strong view. 

But, I was pretty surprised with the review. It would be a real shame that oppo suffer from a poor score when other £500 players that are similar do better.  It would be at top of my list if I was buying. 

With WHF emblazoned across so many retailers adverts, this kind of review might have a real effect on sales. 

The_Lhc's picture

Wouldn't Ireland be easier?

The_Lhc's picture

richardw42 wrote:
It would be a real shame that oppo suffer from a poor score when other £500 players that are similar do better.

Err, so you're saying all players of the same price should be given identical reviews so as not to harm anybodies sales? What would be the point of reviewing anything in that case?

BenLaw's picture

jjbomber wrote:

Quote:

I. I don't particular buy into the advertising conspiracy theory, although I'm confident there is more of a symbiotic relationship than WHF lets on about. I have no problem with that, I think it would do WHF a favour in the long run if they were open about this. 

But it works both ways. Do you seriously think Oppo are going to take out a huge advert to publicise their 3 star product? Of course not. Neither will any other manufacturer. The only ones who will advertise are those who have good reviews to publicise. So naturally the magazine is full of adverts for 5 star products. It's that simple.

Yes, I agree with this. 

John Duncan's picture

jjbomber wrote:

[/quote]

I think that a Friday Afternoon Oppo has sneaked through the system and made it's way to the WHF listening room. My guess is that if they auditioned another one, they would get better results. Just my thought, that's all.

[/quote]

You know those annoying KEF adverts in front of the videos? That deal happened after the 3 star review of some RXXX model...

Kit in state of flux

richardw42's picture

The_Lhc wrote:

richardw42 wrote:
It would be a real shame that oppo suffer from a poor score when other £500 players that are similar do better.

Err, so you're saying all players of the same price should be given identical reviews so as not to harm anybodies sales? What would be the point of reviewing anything in that case?

no. 

My reasoning was a bit simplistic. 

What I meant to say was, if you take say 3 BDs at around the £500 mark which are more or less the same performance wise it would seem unfair to mark one particular player down for whatever reason. 

Given WHF nfluence they need to be responsible with their reviews. 

All conjecture though as I'm unlikely to view it. The review might be spot on !

laserman16's picture

The_Lhc wrote:

jjbomber wrote:
I think that a Friday Afternoon Oppo has sneaked through the system and made it's way to the WHF listening room. My guess is that if they auditioned another one, they would get better results. 

It wouldn't be the first time, I can remember a couple of occasions when pre-production items have found their way into the testing rooms. Later the manufacturer has sent a full production model and received an improved review.

The Panasonic GT50 got rave reviews when it was reviewed and no doubt What hifi were reporting what they had seen, yet now we have quite a few owners reporting problems of various types with their GT50s. 

So therefore not all sets will perform consistently with each other in a certain model. and this must apply to most things I would think.

Andrew Everard's picture

Discombobulate wrote:
It got 3 stars because Oppo's a Chinese company that doesn't advertise in WHF, who are essentially saying by giving 3 stars, pay up like the rest of them or take the poor reviews on the chin.

Evidence, please, since you now seem to be suggesting both corruption and racism?

Looked at logically, if a manufacturer is getting poor reviews it makes more sense for it to advertise to ensure its products are before the readers, whereas a company getting non-stop five star reviews doesn't really need to advertise, as the editorial is doing all the work for it. Unless it's very stupid...

But anyway, we're still dining out on the fortune of advertising spend behind the five star review of the AVI ADM9.1 speakers...

Andrew Everard's picture

BenLaw wrote:
simply saying 'advertising has no effect on reviews' makes people distrusting and makes them come up with conspiracy theories.

Although it is actually the truth, and to my knowledge has been the case for at least the past 25 years.

Pages