376 posts / 0 new
Last post
bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13190
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

gel wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

gel wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

Green Rob wrote:
rant-rant-ranty-rant

Yes, but so what? It makes no difference to you, unless you're on commission?

Gel's position is just as silly, he's now dismissing it solely on the basis of this one review, despite the other good reviews, the answer's the same as it is for everything else, demo it for yourself and then decide.

I don't see why my stance is silly, I have used What HiFi as a buying guide for about 11 years.  Not all of us can demo so your stance is just as silly.  As regard to other reviews what has that got to do with this one?  Perhaps I don't want to read other ones.

"Yep, read the HCC review too, and do use them as a buying guide too."

You already have read another one. One of them says it's not that great the other the complete opposite, so how do you make a decision based on that? If that's your only evidence then neither decision is sound. Therefore trying it for yourself is the only answer. And I meant "silly" in an affection way, of course! Wink

 

Over the years I have learnt what to go by and what not to go by, and on this one I have trust in WHF, I use the other ones as back up more than anything.  Don't think there is anything wrong in that.

I do remember how you weren't happy with WHF reviews when they rated Pioneer down, about 3 years ago!  Wink

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

It got 3 stars because Oppo's a Chinese company that doesn't advertise in WHF, who are essentially saying by giving 3 stars, pay up like the rest of them or take the poor reviews on the chin.

 

 

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6394
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Another very comprehensive and very favourable review:

 

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Oppo-BDP-103-EU-3D-Blu-ray-Player-Review_430/Review.html

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13213
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

bigboss wrote:

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:
My understanding regarding blu ray players is plain & simple. If looking for blu ray picture quality, a budget blu ray player is as good as a high end one. Then I won't bother spending on an expensive player. If I'm looking for DVD upscaling, Oppo is the best, followed by Denon & Marantz. If I'm looking for a universal player or a player with twin HDMI outs without considering DVD upscaling, I'll look for cheaper options like Pioneer / Sony / Panasonic (depending on the feature I want). If I'm after superior audio via analogue, I'll look at Oppo 105 / CA 751 / Denon 2012 / Marantz equivalent.

 

It states the Pioneer DVD upscaling is just as good as the Oppo though.  And it states the Oppo is no better at DVD upscaling than budget Blu-ray players.

Not to my eyes.

 

In the review or your experience with the Oppo?

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6394
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Discombobulate wrote:

It got 3 stars because Oppo's a Chinese company that doesn't advertise in WHF, who are essentially saying by giving 3 stars, pay up like the rest of them or take the poor reviews on the chin.

 

 

 

Max?

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13213
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

bigboss wrote:

gel wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

gel wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

Green Rob wrote:
rant-rant-ranty-rant

Yes, but so what? It makes no difference to you, unless you're on commission?

Gel's position is just as silly, he's now dismissing it solely on the basis of this one review, despite the other good reviews, the answer's the same as it is for everything else, demo it for yourself and then decide.

I don't see why my stance is silly, I have used What HiFi as a buying guide for about 11 years.  Not all of us can demo so your stance is just as silly.  As regard to other reviews what has that got to do with this one?  Perhaps I don't want to read other ones.

"Yep, read the HCC review too, and do use them as a buying guide too."

You already have read another one. One of them says it's not that great the other the complete opposite, so how do you make a decision based on that? If that's your only evidence then neither decision is sound. Therefore trying it for yourself is the only answer. And I meant "silly" in an affection way, of course! Wink

 

Over the years I have learnt what to go by and what not to go by, and on this one I have trust in WHF, I use the other ones as back up more than anything.  Don't think there is anything wrong in that.

I do remember how you weren't happy with WHF reviews when they rated Pioneer down, about 3 years ago!  Wink

 

I don't see the relevance?  If I didn't think a product should have been marked down that was up to me.  Does not mean I don't trust the reviews.

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

BenLaw wrote:

Discombobulate wrote:

It got 3 stars because Oppo's a Chinese company that doesn't advertise in WHF, who are essentially saying by giving 3 stars, pay up like the rest of them or take the poor reviews on the chin.

 

 

 

Max?

Hi Ben. I'm right aren't I? What other reson is there?
BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6394
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Discombobulate wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Discombobulate wrote:

It got 3 stars because Oppo's a Chinese company that doesn't advertise in WHF, who are essentially saying by giving 3 stars, pay up like the rest of them or take the poor reviews on the chin.

 

 

 

Max?

Hi Ben. I'm right aren't I? What other reson is there?

 

You're definitely right about kef  Wink I don't know with oppo, WHF have always consistently marked them down compared to other reviews, but I've never used them myself. I don't really trust WHF on all things blu ray and hdmi as my views are the same as big boss's. I would trust the extremely comprehensive avforums reviews for blu ray players. As for motivation, I'm really not sure. 

 

Edit: to give possible alternative reasons: on PQ WHF would be right to say hd performance is similar (identical) to cheaper players. Not that this is a reason to mark them down. For SQ I suspect the oppo may be pretty neutral, which doesn't suit WHF's listening room and reviewer tastes, so any screechier BDPs (Cambridge has a rep for being bright) may get marked better. 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

BenLaw wrote:

Discombobulate wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Discombobulate wrote:

It got 3 stars because Oppo's a Chinese company that doesn't advertise in WHF, who are essentially saying by giving 3 stars, pay up like the rest of them or take the poor reviews on the chin.

 

 

 

Max?

Hi Ben. I'm right aren't I? What other reson is there?

 

You're definitely right about kef  Wink I don't know with oppo, WHF have always consistently marked them down compared to other reviews, but I've never used them myself. I don't really trust WHF on all things blu ray and hdmi as my views are the same as big boss's. I would trust the extremely comprehensive avforums reviews for blu ray players. As for motivation, I'm really not sure. 

I also share those views, IMO there's no difference between BDP's in terms of pure, 1080p playback, and the upscaling thing is overplayed too, so I can't see how - considering the Oppo's feature packed - it could have got it's 3 stars by way of having any limitations, or because of price in relation to players in it's class (some which get 5 stars despite being more expensive).
BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6394
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Discombobulate wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Discombobulate wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Discombobulate wrote:

It got 3 stars because Oppo's a Chinese company that doesn't advertise in WHF, who are essentially saying by giving 3 stars, pay up like the rest of them or take the poor reviews on the chin.

 

 

 

Max?

Hi Ben. I'm right aren't I? What other reson is there?

 

You're definitely right about kef  Wink I don't know with oppo, WHF have always consistently marked them down compared to other reviews, but I've never used them myself. I don't really trust WHF on all things blu ray and hdmi as my views are the same as big boss's. I would trust the extremely comprehensive avforums reviews for blu ray players. As for motivation, I'm really not sure. 

I also share those views, IMO there's no difference between BDP's in terms of pure, 1080p playback, and the upscaling thing is overplayed too, so I can't see how - considering the Oppo's feature packed - it could have got it's 3 stars by way of having any limitations, or because of price in relation to players in it's class (some which get 5 stars despite being more expensive).

 

I agree. I'd have loved to have pulled the trigger on a 93 or a 103 but instead use a cheapo Sony bdp, I think I paid £80. I can't justify £500 when I would be getting slightly better upscaling and a nicer chassis. If I had integrated hifi and av the 105 would be very tempting, but I never play CDs through my av system. 

 

Like some others, I've tired generally of subjective reviews. I actually think WHF is right a large proportion of the time. Inevitably though with such subjectivity they will sometimes over mark and sometimes under mark products. It's not worth owners getting upset about either way. 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Good point re the listening rooms though, I believe they're heavily damped which may explain WHFs apparent liking for bright speakers - like KEFs - though I doubt the different DACs employed would exhibit audible differences.

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6394
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Discombobulate wrote:

Good point re the listening rooms though, I believe they're heavily damped which may explain WHFs apparent liking for bright speakers - like KEFs - though I doubt the different DACs employed would exhibit audible differences.

 

Indeed. It can be seen from the pics / videos that they are heavily damped. I'm aware of manufacturers complaining of this but also saying products have been voiced to be bright in order to get a five star WHF review, it's that important. This presumably explains Cyrus and kef's popularity, amongst others. I don't particular buy into the advertising conspiracy theory, although I'm confident there is more of a symbiotic relationship than WHF lets on about. I have no problem with that, I think it would do WHF a favour in the long run if they were open about this. 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

BenLaw wrote:

Discombobulate wrote:

Good point re the listening rooms though, I believe they're heavily damped which may explain WHFs apparent liking for bright speakers - like KEFs - though I doubt the different DACs employed would exhibit audible differences.

 

Indeed. It can be seen from the pics / videos that they are heavily damped. I'm aware of manufacturers complaining of this but also saying products have been voiced to be bright in order to get a five star WHF review, it's that important. This presumably explains Cyrus and kef's popularity, amongst others. I don't particular buy into the advertising conspiracy theory, although I'm confident there is more of a symbiotic relationship than WHF lets on about. I have no problem with that, I think it would do WHF a favour in the long run if they were open about this. 

Yup, makes sense to me, though I suppose there's no way they can say so, in their position. It's not really a problem for the punters that can read between the lines I guess, but for those that can't and the manufacturers who don't enjoy such a relationship....
The_Lhc's picture
Online
Last seen: 15 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 13009
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

More instructions from HDD forum Max? Do you even realise how much of their lapdog you are?

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6394
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Discombobulate wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Discombobulate wrote:

Good point re the listening rooms though, I believe they're heavily damped which may explain WHFs apparent liking for bright speakers - like KEFs - though I doubt the different DACs employed would exhibit audible differences.

 

Indeed. It can be seen from the pics / videos that they are heavily damped. I'm aware of manufacturers complaining of this but also saying products have been voiced to be bright in order to get a five star WHF review, it's that important. This presumably explains Cyrus and kef's popularity, amongst others. I don't particular buy into the advertising conspiracy theory, although I'm confident there is more of a symbiotic relationship than WHF lets on about. I have no problem with that, I think it would do WHF a favour in the long run if they were open about this. 

Yup, makes sense to me, though I suppose there's no way they can say so, in their position. It's not really a problem for the punters that can read between the lines I guess, but for those that can't and the manufacturers who don't enjoy such a relationship....

 

Hmm, what I said could easily  be misinterpreted, so as I'm now on a computer allow me to expand. Andrew and others have repeatedly said the fact that company A spends a lot on advertising or that company B spends nothing has no influence on the (separate) review team and what score they'll give a product. There are certainly plenty of examples of companies who don't advertise at all but who's products get good scores (ATC definitely, Rega I think, others I'm sure),

 

My mum used to work selling advertising for a couple of leading trade magazines (in furniture and bathrooms, exciting stuff). Like WHF, these magazines had a mix of reviews and adverts, as well as individual 'seps' and advertorials. There, too, reviews were not improved on the basis of advertising spend. However, if there was a favourable review for a particular company in an upcoming edition, as a matter of course that company would be contacted to see if they would like to advertise. It would be in their interests as it was more powerful for an ad to be accompanied by a strong review in the same edition or adjacent to the ad or following an inside cover ad (like Cyrus did for ages, and may still be doing).

 

So, if an ad appears in the same edition as a favourable review, it is possible to mistake cause and effect. 

 

Expanding on that, the better the contact between the mag and the company the better the relationship. These two things are what I mean by a symbiotic relationship. The companies need the mag, as favourable reviews and good exposure push sales. The mag needs the companies not only for advertising revenue but also because without products to review there is no mag. So I can easily imagine a situation where a particular company, eg Cyrus, has built up a good relationship with the mag over time both with the ad department and the review department, where they take regular ads for good exposure, and they happily supply products (not only temporarily for review but permanently for WHF's ongoing comparisons) safe in the knowledge not that their advertising guarantees a good review but that they are on a run of favourable reviews because they happen to match WHF tastes and that is likely to continue.

 

As I said, I don't see a problem with this as I don't have a problem with the concept of the companies needing the mag and the mag needing the companies. If there is any truth in this, I feel WHF would  be better being open about it as it isn't sinister, and simply saying 'advertising has no effect on reviews' makes people distrusting and makes them come up with conspiracy theories.

 

Rather OT but there we go...

Pages

Log in or register to post comments