376 posts / 0 new
Last post
Big Chris's picture
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Green Rob wrote:

Yes, I have the 103 and find it a fantastic player,

.....Extremely annoyed.

May I ask what the problem is then? You find it a fantastic player, so does a 3 star review (or 2 or 1 for that matter) alter your enjoyment in any way?

Don't be annoyed, just enjoy your movies and music.....

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

gel wrote:

I thought it was quite a comprehensive review, if the picture and sound quality aren't up to snuff, what's is there left to say?  I definitely will not be buying this product.  

So you think a quarter of a page review = comprehensive? Please read the Home Cinema Choice review, now that is well written. If you read the review correctly, WHF doesn't actually state that it's pq performance is poor at all, just not much better than the best budget decks.

I'm happy with my Oppo. Great player, and I don't need a magazine to tell me otherwise. I purchased my 103 on the back of an in-store demo. The issue for me is that it is a poorly written review. No depth whatsover, just compairing the machines Blu Ray and DVD pq against budget decks. Really!! Most people know that there should be no or very little difference between a £70 Blu Ray player and £700 for PQ. The Oppo is much more than just a Blu Ray player but the reviwer doesn't really mention of of the machines benefits in depth.

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/HCC_oppo_blu103eu.pdf

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oppo-bdp-103-201212052427.htm

gel's picture

Green Rob wrote:

gel wrote:

I thought it was quite a comprehensive review, if the picture and sound quality aren't up to snuff, what's is there left to say?  I definitely will not be buying this product.  

So you think a quarter of a page review = comprehensive? Please read the Home Cinema Choice review, now that is well written. If you read the review correctly, WHF doesn't actually state that it's pq performance is poor at all, just not much better than the best budget decks.

I'm happy with my Oppo. Great player, and I don't need a magazine to tell me otherwise. I purchased my 103 on the back of an in-store demo. The issue for me is that it is a poorly written review. No depth whatsover, just compairing the machines Blu Ray and DVD pq against budget decks. Really!! Most people know that there should be no or very little difference between a £70 Blu Ray player and £700 for PQ. The Oppo is much more than just a Blu Ray player but the reviwer doesn't really mention of of the machines benefits in depth.

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/HCC_oppo_blu103eu.pdf

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oppo-bdp-103-201212052427.htm

It says the sound is rubbish though.  Yep, read the HCC review too, and do use them as a buying guide too.  So I am pretty intrigued, but WHF is my number one guide though and have not let me down yet.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

bigboss's picture

My understanding regarding blu ray players is plain & simple. If looking for blu ray picture quality, a budget blu ray player is as good as a high end one. Then I won't bother spending on an expensive player. If I'm looking for DVD upscaling, Oppo is the best, followed by Denon & Marantz. If I'm looking for a universal player or a player with twin HDMI outs without considering DVD upscaling, I'll look for cheaper options like Pioneer / Sony / Panasonic (depending on the feature I want). If I'm after superior audio via analogue, I'll look at Oppo 105 / CA 751 / Denon 2012 / Marantz equivalent.

jjbomber's picture

Green Rob wrote:

This Reviewer is in the wrong job and hasn't a clue.

It's all of them in their £1million listening room isn't it?  Are they all in the wrong job? Anyway, it's not as bad as giving the Galaxy SIII mini a 3 star write up. Now that is a joke. On the other hand, look how the rotten fruit gets 5 stars every time. The ipad3 was pulled after 6 months it was so bad, but still got 5 stars. 

All the reviews are just opinions, it's as simple as that. Your views will be different. If we all thought the same, there would only be one manufacturer. 

gel's picture

bigboss wrote:
My understanding regarding blu ray players is plain & simple. If looking for blu ray picture quality, a budget blu ray player is as good as a high end one. Then I won't bother spending on an expensive player. If I'm looking for DVD upscaling, Oppo is the best, followed by Denon & Marantz. If I'm looking for a universal player or a player with twin HDMI outs without considering DVD upscaling, I'll look for cheaper options like Pioneer / Sony / Panasonic (depending on the feature I want). If I'm after superior audio via analogue, I'll look at Oppo 105 / CA 751 / Denon 2012 / Marantz equivalent.

It states the Pioneer DVD upscaling is just as good as the Oppo though.  And it states the Oppo is no better at DVD upscaling than budget Blu-ray players.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

The_Lhc's picture

Green Rob wrote:
rant-rant-ranty-rant

Yes, but so what? It makes no difference to you, unless you're on commission?

Gel's position is just as silly, he's now dismissing it solely on the basis of this one review, despite the other good reviews, the answer's the same as it is for everything else, demo it for yourself and then decide.

David@FrankHarvey's picture

sogophonio11 wrote:

ian 986 and any other doubters.Go audition them!

The offers there. You will not be disapointed. With the right partnering equipment, against anything else around, no touching oppo. They are simply fantastic.

Me thinks David will be very busy for a while.

Smile

Nice system sogophonio...

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

David@FrankHarvey's picture

Big Chris wrote:
Green Rob wrote:
Yes, I have the 103 and find it a fantastic player,

.....Extremely annoyed.

May I ask what the problem is then? You find it a fantastic player, so does a 3 star review (or 2 or 1 for that matter) alter your enjoyment in any way?

Don't be annoyed, just enjoy your movies and music.....

Agreed. 

I'v'e just watched Prometheus (first viewing after seeing it at the cinema), and if this is what a 3 star player can do, I'm all ears as to what a 5 star one can do! Perhaps WHF can point me in the right direction?

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

whoam1's picture

gel wrote:

Green Rob wrote:

Awful review.

Every other publication gives it 4/5 stars. HCC has listed the 103 as their reference player. Industry experts sing its praises, yet What Hi-Fi give it 3 stars?

Yes, I have the 103 and find it a fantastic player, an improvement on my old 93. PQ especially DVD upscaling is excellent, superior to my old 93 and my secondary Panasonic 220 player.  WHF review just states the basics of the player. No in-depth detail, doesn't mention any of the key features in any depth. Upscaling capabities, hdmi inputs etc. Speed of the player. Review is a bad joke.

Extremely annoyed.

It's hard to tell whether you are being serious or sarcastic.

:quest:

gel's picture

The_Lhc wrote:

Green Rob wrote:
rant-rant-ranty-rant

Gel's position is just as silly, he's now dismissing it solely on the basis of this one review, despite the other good reviews, the answer's the same as it is for everything else, demo it for yourself and then decide.

I don't see why my stance is silly, I have used What HiFi as a buying guide for about 11 years.  Not all of us can demo so your stance is just as silly.  As regard to other reviews what has that got to do with this one?  Perhaps I don't want to read other ones.

gel's picture

whoam1 wrote:

gel wrote:

Green Rob wrote:

Awful review.

Every other publication gives it 4/5 stars. HCC has listed the 103 as their reference player. Industry experts sing its praises, yet What Hi-Fi give it 3 stars?

Yes, I have the 103 and find it a fantastic player, an improvement on my old 93. PQ especially DVD upscaling is excellent, superior to my old 93 and my secondary Panasonic 220 player.  WHF review just states the basics of the player. No in-depth detail, doesn't mention any of the key features in any depth. Upscaling capabities, hdmi inputs etc. Speed of the player. Review is a bad joke.

Extremely annoyed.

It's hard to tell whether you are being serious or sarcastic.

:quest:

Quite serious.

The_Lhc's picture

gel wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

Green Rob wrote:
rant-rant-ranty-rant

I don't see why my stance is silly, I have used What HiFi as a buying guide for about 11 years.  Not all of us can demo so your stance is just as silly.  As regard to other reviews what has that got to do with this one?  Perhaps I don't want to read other ones.

"Yep, read the HCC review too, and do use them as a buying guide too."

You already have read another one. One of them says it's not that great the other the complete opposite, so how do you make a decision based on that? If that's your only evidence then neither decision is sound. Therefore trying it for yourself is the only answer. And I meant "silly" in an affection way, of course! Wink

gel's picture

The_Lhc wrote:

gel wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

Green Rob wrote:
rant-rant-ranty-rant

"Yep, read the HCC review too, and do use them as a buying guide too."

You already have read another one. One of them says it's not that great the other the complete opposite, so how do you make a decision based on that? If that's your only evidence then neither decision is sound. Therefore trying it for yourself is the only answer. And I meant "silly" in an affection way, of course! Wink

Over the years I have learnt what to go by and what not to go by, and on this one I have trust in WHF, I use the other ones as back up more than anything.  Don't think there is anything wrong in that.

bigboss's picture

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:

It states the Pioneer DVD upscaling is just as good as the Oppo though.  And it states the Oppo is no better at DVD upscaling than budget Blu-ray players.

Not to my eyes.

Pages