376 posts / 0 new
Last post
Roundhead 5000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/01/2013 - 16:22
Posts: 97
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Been working away, sorry for the late reply Big Boss...

I have an LX 86, a Panasonic VT65, Jamo Concert 11s, (fronts)  8s, (rears) Concert centre, Concert  surrounds( can't remember the model number) and a pair of Monitor audio rxfx for front height/width. Also two REL R328 subs. So a reasonable set up I think. I already have a KRP 500a in the bedroom so a second T.V is not required. I am happy with the picture I get from the BT500 but just wondered if worthwhile improvments could be had from a top end player from the likes of Marantz or maybe Denon/Oppo... I Have a Marantz CD7 on my hi fi and have always loved it.

duaplex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 6 days ago
Joined: 22/02/2011 - 18:51
Posts: 1075
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

It goes without saying that there will be improvements with the Oppo 105 (in this case for music) It's ability to play CD's using the analogue outputs really negates the need to have a standalone CD player, for me.  But like most things, its subject to taste. I would have a demo with the player and possibly buy it online so you can return it if not satisfied.  

From personal experience, picture and sound are superior on this player to that of the BDT500. I had an extensive demo with the panasonic, sony and oppo range and nothing came close to the Oppo on bluray playback and Music.  To say they perform like budget players is not true, not even in the slightest Smile

Give Hifix a call and speak to David he will demo it for you and show you how much better it really is.

Nice setup by the way, snap on the TV Smile and I love the LX86, I wish I could upgrade mine to it!! 

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13931
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Hey look David is on Amazon!   Smile

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009P3R6LO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0FGAW1GJZRMJ6RJV450K&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=317828027&pf_rd_i=468294

 

Good feedback too.   Smile

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Roundhead 5000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/01/2013 - 16:22
Posts: 97
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

duaplex wrote:

It goes without saying that there will be improvements with the Oppo 105 (in this case for music) It's ability to play CD's using the analogue outputs really negates the need to have a standalone CD player, for me.  But like most things, its subject to taste. I would have a demo with the player and possibly buy it online so you can return it if not satisfied.  

From personal experience, picture and sound are superior on this player to that of the BDT500. I had an extensive demo with the panasonic, sony and oppo range and nothing came close to the Oppo on bluray playback and Music.  To say they perform like budget players is not true, not even in the slightest Smile

Give Hifix a call and speak to David he will demo it for you and show you how much better it really is.

Nice setup by the way, snap on the TV Smile and I love the LX86, I wish I could upgrade mine to it!! 

 

 

Thanks duaplex, I have to be honest, I personally don't think the Panny 65 is as good as my KRP 500a (whole other thread)  but it is a bigger screen and my viewing distance is similar so I thought I could try and improve it from the inside, so to speak. So I will investigate the 105 and thanks for taking the time to comment.

I have only had the LX86 for a few weeks, I used to have the first VSA AX10, then an Onkyo TX NR 905. I thought the Onkyo was pretty good, but the Pioneer is like listening to a new soundtrack. I swear I'm hearing sounds I didn't hear before, not just that they were muffled or indistinct. I realise you have to allow for set up and some amps are all about detail and have a different balance etc etc. But I'm really impressed with the Pioneer. And a 9.2 set up just washes over you. Very happy sound wise.

Ok I'm looking at the BDP 105 EU for around a grand. There is also a 95 which seems to be more expensive in general. Am I right in thinking the 105 is the update to the 95? Or are they two seperate players which co exist?

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13931
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Roundhead 5000 wrote:

duaplex wrote:

It goes without saying that there will be improvements with the Oppo 105 (in this case for music) It's ability to play CD's using the analogue outputs really negates the need to have a standalone CD player, for me.  But like most things, its subject to taste. I would have a demo with the player and possibly buy it online so you can return it if not satisfied.  

From personal experience, picture and sound are superior on this player to that of the BDT500. I had an extensive demo with the panasonic, sony and oppo range and nothing came close to the Oppo on bluray playback and Music.  To say they perform like budget players is not true, not even in the slightest Smile

Give Hifix a call and speak to David he will demo it for you and show you how much better it really is.

Nice setup by the way, snap on the TV Smile and I love the LX86, I wish I could upgrade mine to it!! 

 

 

Thanks duaplex, I have to be honest, I personally don't think the Panny 65 is as good as my KRP 500a (whole other thread)  but it is a bigger screen and my viewing distance is similar so I thought I could try and improve it from the inside, so to speak. So I will investigate the 105 and thanks for taking the time to comment.

I have only had the LX86 for a few weeks, I used to have the first VSA AX10, then an Onkyo TX NR 905. I thought the Onkyo was pretty good, but the Pioneer is like listening to a new soundtrack. I swear I'm hearing sounds I didn't hear before, not just that they were muffled or indistinct. I realise you have to allow for set up and some amps are all about detail and have a different balance etc etc. But I'm really impressed with the Pioneer. And a 9.2 set up just washes over you. Very happy sound wise.

Ok I'm looking at the BDP 105 EU for around a grand. There is also a 95 which seems to be more expensive in general. Am I right in thinking the 105 is the update to the 95? Or are they two seperate players which co exist?

 

The 105 is the update of the 95, whether it is better though I would wait to see what What HiFi say about it.  The one I personally would now look at is the Marantz UD7007.

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13931
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Here is the review of the Marantz

 

http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-ud7007

 

Looks like your system would be the ideal partner, and sounds like at least the Oppo 103 could sound pretty rubbish in your system.

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

duaplex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 6 days ago
Joined: 22/02/2011 - 18:51
Posts: 1075
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

You can't go wrong with the Pioneer TV :)

A friend of mine recently went from an Onkyo to a Pioneer too.  These Av's are naturally a little brighter in sound and personally I prefer that. I like to hear all the high pings and tings as bullets fly about. Some however prefer that more warmer sound like an Arcam.

Indeed with Music the Pioneer is spectacualr for an AV receiver :)

As Gel said the Marantz is good and to add to your demo list I would recommend a look at the Arcam BDP300 too.  I felt the 105 was superior to the 95, as much as the 95 was to other players.

But don't take my word for it, give it a try!  You can get a good player like the Marantz for a good price, but how impportant is 4k?

duaplex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 6 days ago
Joined: 22/02/2011 - 18:51
Posts: 1075
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

gel wrote:

Here is the review of the Marantz

 

http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-ud7007

 

Looks like your system would be the ideal partner, and sounds like at least the Oppo 103 could sound pretty rubbish in your system.

Wink

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-11155-marantz-ud7007-networked-3d-ready-blu-raydvd-player.aspx

 

Roundhead 5000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/01/2013 - 16:22
Posts: 97
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Thanks guys, and duaplex that's a good price for the marantz. I am not bothered about c.d sound because I have a seperate hi fi system ...

(including the aforementioned Marantz cd7, and an Audio Synthesis Dax decade so that side of things is taken care of) but obviously home cinema sound matters to me, so I am going to try to get a demo of the Oppo and the Marantz if possible. Thanks to both of you for the input, sometimes a nudge in the right direction is just what's needed.

As an aside, I have tried to save my systems under or as my signature 3 times now (So as to stop having to quote their respective  contents in posts) But it will not seem to save it. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Oh and duaplex, seeing as you like tings I thought you might like this..http://youtu.be/FA06jbROmMM

Oh that doesn't seem to have saved as a link. I'm not very good at this. Apologies.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13664
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

gel wrote:

Looks like your system would be the ideal partner, and sounds like at least the Oppo 103 could sound pretty rubbish in your system.

Not really. He / she has the brilliant Pioneer LX86 to decode audio. I don't see any point in investing in a player with superior DACs. Just bitstream audio to the Pioneer. Simples! Wink

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13664
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Roundhead 5000 wrote:

Been working away, sorry for the late reply Big Boss...

I have an LX 86, a Panasonic VT65, Jamo Concert 11s, (fronts)  8s, (rears) Concert centre, Concert  surrounds( can't remember the model number) and a pair of Monitor audio rxfx for front height/width. Also two REL R328 subs. So a reasonable set up I think. I already have a KRP 500a in the bedroom so a second T.V is not required. I am happy with the picture I get from the BT500 but just wondered if worthwhile improvments could be had from a top end player from the likes of Marantz or maybe Denon/Oppo... I Have a Marantz CD7 on my hi fi and have always loved it.

I personally don't think you'll get improvements in blu ray picture quality by upgrading your player. As I explained earlier, you've got a flagship receiver which will decode audio brilliantly. My advice would be to keep your system. Certainly demo your options in comparison to the Panasonic player & see if the "upgrade" is worth the extra outlay, unless you're after a universal player.

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13931
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

bigboss wrote:

gel wrote:

Looks like your system would be the ideal partner, and sounds like at least the Oppo 103 could sound pretty rubbish in your system.

Not really. He / she has the brilliant Pioneer LX86 to decode audio. I don't see any point in investing in a player with superior DACs. Just bitstream audio to the Pioneer. Simples! Wink

 

Thing is though when I change Blu-ray players in my system with the Pioneer LX70 amp, I clearly hear the difference between Blu-ray players 100 per cent, perhaps my amp is different somehow?  But I hear other people with different amps making the same comments.  The difference is really big between each Blu-ray players too.

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13931
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:

gel wrote:

Looks like your system would be the ideal partner, and sounds like at least the Oppo 103 could sound pretty rubbish in your system.

Not really. He / she has the brilliant Pioneer LX86 to decode audio. I don't see any point in investing in a player with superior DACs. Just bitstream audio to the Pioneer. Simples! Wink

 

Thing is though when I change Blu-ray players in my system with the Pioneer LX70 amp, I clearly hear the difference between Blu-ray players 100 per cent, perhaps my amp is different somehow?  But I hear other people with different amps making the same comments.  The difference is really big between each Blu-ray players too.

 

And the ones with superior DACs always come out sounding better.  So in my system I know for sure the Marantz should sound good.

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13664
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:

gel wrote:

Looks like your system would be the ideal partner, and sounds like at least the Oppo 103 could sound pretty rubbish in your system.

Not really. He / she has the brilliant Pioneer LX86 to decode audio. I don't see any point in investing in a player with superior DACs. Just bitstream audio to the Pioneer. Simples! Wink

 

Thing is though when I change Blu-ray players in my system with the Pioneer LX70 amp, I clearly hear the difference between Blu-ray players 100 per cent, perhaps my amp is different somehow?  But I hear other people with different amps making the same comments.  The difference is really big between each Blu-ray players too.

Your receiver isn't upto scratch then! Wink

Seriously though, have you tried bitstreaming audio to your receiver?

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13931
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Here is the spec on it

 

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/archive/VSX-LX70/page.html

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments