376 posts / 0 new
Last post
Son_of_SJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/09/2009 - 16:24
Posts: 1117
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

duaplex wrote:

I prefer the oppo 95 myself. Especially at its reduced price point Smile

I'm certainly not looking for another one, being more than happy with mine, but I'm mildly curious about where the reduced price of the Oppo 95 can be had. The only link I could find was Lintone Audio (from where I bought mine) including a free fitting of the usually £100 multiregion kit, but the basic price remains at £899.

About the new Oppo 103, putting "oppo 103 blu-ray player review" into google gives many links, but the most comprehensive one is a development of the second one, or directly here http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/reviews/bdp-103-105eu/  covering both the Oppo 103 and 105. The praise in these reviews (nearly all with downloadable PDFs) for both new machines is somewhere between very high and celestial. The findings of the What Hi-Fi review team in giving the Oppo 103 only three stars are at variance with everyone else.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

gel wrote:

Ricuardo wrote:

In my country oppo is best always.

 

Not in our country, the picture and sound aren't really up to snuff.   Smile

I is surprised me very much because of this, oppo best always for my people.
bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12705
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Ricuardo wrote:

gel wrote:

Ricuardo wrote:

In my country oppo is best always.

 

Not in our country, the picture and sound aren't really up to snuff.   Smile

I is surprised me very much because of this, oppo best always for my people.

Gel was only joking!  :grin:

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12842
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Ricuardo wrote:

gel wrote:

Ricuardo wrote:

In my country oppo is best always.

 

Not in our country, the picture and sound aren't really up to snuff.   Smile

I is surprised me very much because of this, oppo best always for my people.

 

I have to admit I was surprised too, but What HiFi have clearly giving it a thorough workout with the best demo equipment and come to the conclusion it does not measure up against other Blu-ray players.  Picture and sound quality for the money seems to be its downfall.  I looked at the spec on the Pioneers at £200 and compared it to the Oppo for £500 and there is not much in it, but sure you get a nice case to put it in for the extra £300.   Smile

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Son_of_SJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/09/2009 - 16:24
Posts: 1117
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

I'll try my link again (thanks for telling me, bigboss) for glowing reviews of both the Oppo 105 and 103

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/reviews/bdp-103-105eu/

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12874
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Son_of_SJ wrote:
I'll try my link again (thanks for telling me, bigboss) for glowing reviews of both the Oppo 105 and 103

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/reviews/bdp-103-105eu/

What's your point though? Reviews are subjective, neither are wrong or right.

Mind you it's still funny watching the fanboys rabidly defending their purchasing decisions, as if this one review suddenly implies they were stupid to spend their money on an Oppo, when it doesn't mean anything of the sort.

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 min 45 sec ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11143
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

I'm interested in reading the review before saying too much.

gel wrote:
Picture and sound quality for the money seems to be its downfall.  I looked at the spec on the Pioneers at £200 and compared it to the Oppo for £500 and there is not much in it, but sure you get a nice case to put it in for the extra £300.   Smile

Pop in and I'll put the 103 up against any of the Pioneer Bluray players and I'll show you how much better the 103 can look via a decent projector on a 9ft screen. I replaced my £1200 Bluray player with the 103 purely based on the fact that makes it look like a I have a new projector. Also, CD's, including SACD's sound pretty amazing through a system we have set up in our main demo room - Audiolab 8200AP, Primare A30.7, PMC Twenty.24's with Twenty centre, and dual stacked Ken Kreisel DXD12012's. The power amp in this system rotates between the Primare A30.7, Audiolab 8200x7, and Bryston 9Bsst2. Whichever power amp we use, the system just sounds amazing, regardless of volume. 

In fact, if anyone wants to pop in, feel free (not today, I'm not there!)

As others have said, all other reviews haven't given these players anything near a three star review, so it'll be interesting to find out why WHF disagrees. If a 103 can't get a 5 star review for £500, I can only assume we won't be seeing any 5 star reviews (or even 4 star) for any current Bluray players...

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12705
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Ooooo......I would love to compare the Oppo with other players!  :clap:

I'll let you know when I'm passing Coventry.

Son_of_SJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/09/2009 - 16:24
Posts: 1117
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

The_Lhc wrote:

What's your point though? Reviews are subjective, neither are wrong or right.

I agree! Hence in my post at 12:52am I carefully did not say whether anyone was right or wrong, merely that there was a difference of opinion.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12874
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Son_of_SJ wrote:
merely that there was a difference of opinion.

No kidding!  :grin:

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12842
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

I'm interested in reading the review before saying too much.

gel wrote:
Picture and sound quality for the money seems to be its downfall.  I looked at the spec on the Pioneers at £200 and compared it to the Oppo for £500 and there is not much in it, but sure you get a nice case to put it in for the extra £300.   Smile

Pop in and I'll put the 103 up against any of the Pioneer Bluray players and I'll show you how much better the 103 can look via a decent projector on a 9ft screen. I replaced my £1200 Bluray player with the 103 purely based on the fact that makes it look like a I have a new projector. Also, CD's, including SACD's sound pretty amazing through a system we have set up in our main demo room - Audiolab 8200AP, Primare A30.7, PMC Twenty.24's with Twenty centre, and dual stacked Ken Kreisel DXD12012's. The power amp in this system rotates between the Primare A30.7, Audiolab 8200x7, and Bryston 9Bsst2. Whichever power amp we use, the system just sounds amazing, regardless of volume. 

In fact, if anyone wants to pop in, feel free (not today, I'm not there!)

As others have said, all other reviews haven't given these players anything near a three star review, so it'll be interesting to find out why WHF disagrees. If a 103 can't get a 5 star review for £500, I can only assume we won't be seeing any 5 star reviews (or even 4 star) for any current Bluray players...

 

It is a pretty damning review to be honest, I would be interested to hear your views once you read it.  Yep, thanks for the invite, it has been a while since I have been to the Midlands, look forward to it sometime.  Cheers.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Awful review.

Every other publication gives it 4/5 stars. HCC has listed the 103 as their reference player. Industry experts sing its praises, yet What Hi-Fi give it 3 stars?

This Reviewer is in the wrong job and hasn't a clue.

Yes, I have the 103 and find it a fantastic player, an improvement on my old 93. PQ especially DVD upscaling is excellent, superior to my old 93 and my secondary Panasonic 220 player.  WHF review just states the basics of the player. No in-depth detail, doesn't mention any of the key features in any depth. Upscaling capabities, hdmi inputs etc. Speed of the player. Review is a bad joke.

Extremely annoyed.

Ian986's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 26/01/2010 - 13:03
Posts: 163
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Every time I get ready to buy a 103 some thing comes up makes me think should I ? 

I was worried that the 4k player might happen so would be out of date very quickly ! I know it up scales to 4k but not the same as real 4k I am guessing a bit like a DVD player upscaling to 1080p 

 

Then this review which I have not seen my copy of the mag is properly at home but won't be home until Sunday evening 

 

The reasons I want one is sacd and dvd audio  only have a few discs but I like music in surround 

 

another bonus today I use a app called O Remote to control the Onkyo 809 but had a update and will control the oppo as well so I would be able to control reciever from my iPad or I phone 5 

sogophonio11's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 23/06/2011 - 16:10
Posts: 220
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

ian 986 and any other doubters.Go audition them!

The offers there. You will not be disapointed. With the right partnering equipment, against anything else around, no touching oppo. They are simply fantastic.

Me thinks David will be very busy for a while.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12842
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Green Rob wrote:

Awful review.

Every other publication gives it 4/5 stars. HCC has listed the 103 as their reference player. Industry experts sing its praises, yet What Hi-Fi give it 3 stars?

This Reviewer is in the wrong job and hasn't a clue.

Yes, I have the 103 and find it a fantastic player, an improvement on my old 93. PQ especially DVD upscaling is excellent, superior to my old 93 and my secondary Panasonic 220 player.  WHF review just states the basics of the player. No in-depth detail, doesn't mention any of the key features in any depth. Upscaling capabities, hdmi inputs etc. Speed of the player. Review is a bad joke.

Extremely annoyed.

 

I thought it was quite a comprehensive review, if the picture and sound quality aren't up to snuff, what's is there left to say?  I definitely will not be buying this product.  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments