Have your say & ask the experts!

Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

373 replies [Last post]
The_Lhc's picture
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

WishTree wrote:
Also, IMO that this Oppo 103 review will not appear in the online browsable verion under the section 

http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/home-cinema/blu-ray-players?page=1

I would love to be wrong in this prediction!

Why would you think that? Every review goes on the website, afaik.

duaplex's picture

+1

Again, people think there is something they are hiding  banging head against wall

Panasonic 65" 3D TV (P65VT50), Pioneer LX83, CA, Azur 751BD, PS3, Water Cooled Xbox 360 (Modded), Nintendo Wii U, Xbox One, Sony PS4, Sky HD+, i7 PC overclocked with Nvidia 780 GTX, CM8 Fronts (Bi-Amped), CMC Center (Bi-Wired), DS3 Dipoles, PV1 Sub. Van Den Hul M.C. Snowtrack >Halogen Free< wiring, Chord Active Silver HDMI's, Cabridge Audio AUD700 Analogues Interconnects, QED Signature Subwoofer cables, Chunky Monkey custom oak AV cabinet.

WishTree's picture

Andrew Everard wrote:

It will appear, but not until the print magazine has been on sale for a while, as is usual.

And possibly, I'm told, in an extended form.

Thanks Andrew. 

My System

Andy Clough's picture

The Oppo review will definitely go online, just like every other review that appears in the magazine.

Andy Clough is Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

Twitter @AndrewClough

Google+ Andy Clough

bigboss's picture

gel wrote:

Interesting that Oppo advertises heavily on Home Cinema Choice and AVForums websites.  Smile

Why should that surprise you? If I'm the advertising division of Oppo, I would make sure I advertise in a site with a good review of my product. Also, I'll target my adverts where I know people love my product. Oppo has been popular with AV forum members even before they were officially sold in the UK or were reviewed by AV forums.

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

duaplex's picture

Will whathifi ever adjust the review in light fo such an outcry? A second opinion of such?

Panasonic 65" 3D TV (P65VT50), Pioneer LX83, CA, Azur 751BD, PS3, Water Cooled Xbox 360 (Modded), Nintendo Wii U, Xbox One, Sony PS4, Sky HD+, i7 PC overclocked with Nvidia 780 GTX, CM8 Fronts (Bi-Amped), CMC Center (Bi-Wired), DS3 Dipoles, PV1 Sub. Van Den Hul M.C. Snowtrack >Halogen Free< wiring, Chord Active Silver HDMI's, Cabridge Audio AUD700 Analogues Interconnects, QED Signature Subwoofer cables, Chunky Monkey custom oak AV cabinet.

gel
gel's picture

bigboss wrote:

gel wrote:

Interesting that Oppo advertises heavily on Home Cinema Choice and AVForums websites.  Smile

Why should that surprise you? If I'm the advertising division of Oppo, I would make sure I advertise in a site with a good review of my product. Also, I'll target my adverts where I know people love my product. Oppo has been popular with AV forum members even before they were officially sold in the UK or were reviewed by AV forums.

Don't surprise me, I have always see it there.  Smile

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

ellisdj's picture

kmlav wrote:

What I dont understand is why they make premium Blu Ray players with on board decoding. Does anybody ever use it? I can understand in the old days before we all had nice AV receivers and used HDMI but really its just a wast of money.

Some of the highest and higher end systems you can buy today require the decoding to be done within the player - Audiolab, Meridian etc

So please review blu ray performance this way too Smile

Meridian G61R, HD621, Bryston 9BSST

Optimised Audio PC - J River / JPlay / Custom Full Linear Power Supply

Panasonic 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, HIFi Racks Podium Reference

Monitor Audio GX100, GXC150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA (set with hard knee house curve)

JCAT USB and Sata, Graham Slee Spatia (SC) Graham Slee Lautus Digital / Analogue IC x 9

bigboss's picture

WHF did drop a star on a Sony TV after numerous complaints on the forum. Don't think it'll work the other way though.

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

gel
gel's picture

bigboss wrote:
WHF did drop a star on a Sony TV after numerous complaints on the forum. Don't think it'll work the other way though.

That is because there was something wrong with the Sony TVs though, nothing wrong with the Oppo just not that good.

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

bigboss's picture

gel wrote:

bigboss wrote:

gel wrote:

Don't surprise me, I have always see it there.  Smile

What's your point then?

chebby's picture

None of you are trying hard enough.

This Oppo thread ran to 1167 posts...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/oppo-bdp-831

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

daveh75's picture

duaplex wrote:

Will whathifi ever adjust the review in light fo such an outcry? A second opinion of such?

Would hardly class a handful of posters harping on for 19 pages over an subjective review as an outcry.

chebby wrote:

None of you are trying hard enough.

This Oppo thread ran to 1167 posts...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/oppo-bdp-831

I'd echo this call for the debate to continue. As an observer, this is almost as entertaining as the Fellowship of the Ring EE Blu-ray "green cast" controversy.

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

WishTree's picture

duaplex wrote:

I doubt WHF will change the star rating based on outcry otherwise it will be all popular choice based stars! I am really keen to see the in depth of review and what was the real thought process behind the 3 stars only.

I am very sure that the price can not be the reason. As an example there are Amplifiers which just do amplification and get five stars even at exhorbitant prices (though they offer same / similar features) like the Krell FBI which was reviewed at a price point of £15250

http://www.whathifi.com/review/krell-fbi

and IMO I do not think it is 3 times better than Pathos Inpol2 which is also a five star product. 

However in our topic, even with PQ I found Oppo 103 is better than my Sony BDP-S790 and 103 does a lot more than 790 (Analog Out, HDMI Inputs and plays mkv - which Sony BDP refuses to do after the firmware update Sad ). Infact, just for the HDMI IN feature itself there should be an added star (which is so good to upscale my Set-top-box  more effectively than my much more pricier AVR)

There is something that I am missing here, given that a consumer like me see the Oppo 103 better than the Sony 790 and hence my failure here to understand that 3 star rating!

My System