376 posts / 0 new
Last post
bigboss's picture
RE: Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Well, nobody is asking you buy an Oppo.  Smile

gel's picture

bigboss wrote:

Well, nobody is asking you buy an Oppo.  Smile

Thank god.   Smile  It would take a lot of research for me to buy that now.  Testing both the picture and sound quality thoroughly and then some.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

bigboss's picture

So, are you planning to upgrade to a 3D blu ray player soon?

jacobmorrison's picture

Having now read the offending review it does seem to raise more questions than answers. A half-page review can only skim over the capabilities of a player such as this so perhaps part of this reaction is not the star rating alone but the impression that the player has not been given a fair examination. The "last thing on a friday" comment earlier in this thread could well be true. Given the five star review given to the Marantz UD7007 at £1000 then the WHF conclusion seems to be that the Marantz offers substantially better picture and sound quality than the new Oppo and is leagues apart from the budget competition that has apparently brought the Oppo rating down. This game-changing performance is a little surprising finding given that the consensus seems to be that differences in picture quality on blu-ray is subtle at most between high-end and budget decks, and upscaling can vary more but the differences between mid-range and hig-end might be expected to be equally as subtle. As with the earlier WHF review for the Oppo 93 it appears that the sound quality is letting it down badly. Shame the review didn't mention how the sound quality was examined, HDMI or Analogue, and whether it was given the same   Pioneer SC-LX86 and  KEF’s R100 5.1 system as the Marantz to show its capabilities. As I said, more questions than answers....

gel's picture

bigboss wrote:

So, are you planning to upgrade to a 3D blu ray player soon?

I don't know, I thought I was at one time, I still have a Sony TV sitting on an Alphason stand with no Blu-ray player.  If I was in the market for a cheap one I would go for the Pioneer, or for an expensive one the Marantz 7007 would now be top of my list.  I did like the look of that Panasonic ZT60 TV though.   Smile

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

gel's picture

jacobmorrison wrote:

Having now read the offending review it does seem to raise more questions than answers. A half-page review can only skim over the capabilities of a player such as this so perhaps part of this reaction is not the star rating alone but the impression that the player has not been given a fair examination. The "last thing on a friday" comment earlier in this thread could well be true. Given the five star review given to the Marantz UD7007 at £1000 then the WHF conclusion seems to be that the Marantz offers substantially better picture and sound quality than the new Oppo and is leagues apart from the budget competition that has apparently brought the Oppo rating down. This game-changing performance is a little surprising finding given that the consensus seems to be that differences in picture quality on blu-ray is subtle at most between high-end and budget decks, and upscaling can vary more but the differences between mid-range and hig-end might be expected to be equally as subtle. As with the earlier WHF review for the Oppo 93 it appears that the sound quality is letting it down badly. Shame the review didn't mention how the sound quality was examined, HDMI or Analogue, and whether it was given the same   Pioneer SC-LX86 and  KEF’s R100 5.1 system as the Marantz to show its capabilities. As I said, more questions than answers....

When I read the reviews and it talks about sound quality I presume that it means both for HDMI and analogue because I presume they do test both.  Yes I would come to that conclusion about the Marantz too.

David@FrankHarvey's picture

gel wrote:
When I read the reviews and it talks about sound quality I presume that it means both for HDMI and analogue because I presume they do test both.  

This is it - we don't know.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

gel's picture

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

gel wrote:
When I read the reviews and it talks about sound quality I presume that it means both for HDMI and analogue because I presume they do test both.  

This is it - we don't know.

I am not sure WHF has to justify this though.  If it was bad through HDMI or analogue I presume it would say so.  But most people still think there is no difference over HDMI, personally I have definitely heard a difference.  So can WHF win if they do say one or the other?  Pretty sure on AV Forums they have taking the stance there is no difference over HDMI is that correct?  They way I read the reviews is that WHF does think there is a difference.  That is what I presume.  If the sound was bad I am sure it would say like it does on the Oppo.  Perhaps someone can confirm then?   Smile

gel's picture

But if it is bad through analogue then I presume it is safe to presume it is going to be bad through HDMI?  And vice versa.  So surely talking about the sound in general is enough.

hammill's picture

gel wrote:

But if it is bad through analogue then I presume it is safe to presume it is going to be bad through HDMI?  And vice versa.  So surely talking about the sound in general is enough.

Absolutely not. If the signal is sent via HDMI it is not passing through the DACs. A machine with terrible DACs could still sound fine using HDMI (as virtually all players do of course). I think this explains why you are happy with this remarkably uninformative review.

gel's picture

hammill wrote:

gel wrote:

Absolutely not. If the signal is sent via HDMI it is not passing through the DACs. A machine with terrible DACs could still sound fine using HDMI (as virtually all players do of course). I think this explains why you are happy with this remarkably uninformative review.

I guess it does.   Smile  If WHF came out and said Blu-ray players all sound the same over HDMI I would know this not to be the case, and so would a lot of others.  I guess you think they do though?

bigboss's picture

gel wrote:

If WHF came out and said Blu-ray players all sound the same over HDMI I would know this not to be the case, and so would a lot of others.

You would still trust the WHF review, won't you?  Wink

hammill's picture

gel wrote:

hammill wrote:

gel wrote:

I guess it does.   Smile  If WHF came out and said Blu-ray players all sound the same over HDMI I would know this not to be the case, and so would a lot of others.  I guess you think they do though?

So you think saying that virtually all players sound fine using HDMI = Blu-ray players all sound the same over HDMI? Really?
wbarr's picture

I've been reading WHF for around 20 years.  I still find it an enjoyable read, but, have to say, their tastes and mine as to the qualities and values of equipment now diverge wildly.  As to reviews, they are all subjective (at least in WHF). Personally, I like some data and some context to my reviews, but that's just me.  If someone wants to trust a few paragraphs of subjective opinion in preference to longer, more detailed reviews with objective data as to the performance of video processors, etc. then who I am to say that they should not?  As to conflicting views and differing opinions, it reminds me of Captain Rum in Blackadder and his view as to the need for a crew for a ship "Everyone else says you do.  I says you don't' (or words that effect).  I'm sure the Pioneer is a great player (no doubt), but, as an owner of the Oppo 103 after having other bluray players, and as someone with an interest in video processing for DVD and other sources, I find the WHF review suprising.  The evidence of my own eyes (subjective) and of objective facts (processing performance tests) rather suggest that the Oppo is a reference level video performer. If I had to follow one review on the Oppo, WHF's would not be it. 

wbarr's picture

Sorry for the double post.   :roll: Using a mobile phone and no idea how it happened. 

Pages