Have your say & ask the experts!

My Sony BDP570 has been written off for replacement so what should I replace it with?

17 replies [Last post]
Oldboy's picture

Hi everyone,

I got a call from Richer Sounds today a week after dropping in my Sony 570 bluray player for repair offering to replace it as it was losing it's wi-fi connection and stopping playback of catch up services at random times with a network error message so I'm looking at a replacement on Richer Sounds website before I go in store next week.

I paid £160 for the player and took out the extended warranty from Richers when I bought it and I'm glad I did as that's why they have offered to replace it as it's well out of the original manufacturers guarantee period, the only issue is that I can't see what the like for like replacement would be on Richers website. I don't want to drop down to an inferior player and have seen the S790 on there for £170 so I'm wondering if a bit of negotiation might be worthwhile and perhaps pay the difference to get this player? Or get something else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Samsung UE40F7000, Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Home Theatre System, X-Box 360.

Mobile Devices:

Google Nexus 5 Phone, Google Nexus 7 Tablet, Sony PS Vita.

macdiddy's picture
RE: My Sony BDP570 has been written off

Hi Oldboy hello or goodbye

If you are happy to go with another Sony then the S790 looks the best bet, I am sure that you will be able to do some deal as I have always found that the staff in Richer Sounds are open to negotiation on price.

If you are open to other makes then there is a great Pioneer player listed at £199.

Let us know how you get on.

f1only's picture
RE: My Sony BDP570 has been written off

macdiddy wrote:

Hi Oldboy hello or goodbye

If you are happy to go with another Sony then the S790 looks the best bet, I am sure that you will be able to do some deal as I have always found that the staff in Richer Sounds are open to negotiation on price.

If you are open to other makes then there is a great Pioneer player listed at £199.

Let us know how you get on.

+1 for the 790, mine is pretty good no complaints so far & had it over a year now. Although I don't rate the picture quality any better than any other BD player i have had or auditioned, it does have the advantage it plays a lot of file formats which may be useful to you & has a lot of apps too.

Regards ... Paul

TV: Sony KDL-46HX853 ( calibrated ), Virgin Tivo Box, BD Players: Sony BDP-S790,  PS3, PS4 & Panasonic DMR-BWT700

A/V Amp: Yamaha RX-V1073

Speakers: Dali Ikon 6 Front L/R, Dali Ikon 1's Surround, Dali Ikon Vocal 2 Centre, B&W ASW610 Subwoofer.

My System

Sony Bravia 46HX853 Calibrated Settings

gel
gel's picture
RE:

Can you get a refund and buy elsewhere?  The Oppo 103 is up for grabs at Frank Harvey.  Tell David who you are and you should get it for £450 and it's a really good high end player.

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

gel
gel's picture
replace it with?

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

gel
gel's picture
I replace it with?

macdiddy's picture
RE: My Sony BDP570 replace it with?

Hi all.

There is also the Marantz UD5007 for £350 at Richer Sounds if Oldboy is feeling flush.

Cool

BenLaw's picture
RE:

gel wrote:

Can you get a refund and buy elsewhere?  The Oppo 103 is up for grabs at Frank Harvey.  Tell David who you are and you should get it for £450 and it's a really good high end player.

I'm not sure it's appropriate to reveal the specifics of trade discounts online, it puts FH at a commercial disadvantage. 

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

gel
gel's picture
RE:

BenLaw wrote:

gel wrote:

I'm not sure it's appropriate to reveal the specifics of trade discounts online, it puts FH at a commercial disadvantage. 

Yep, I wasn't sure whether to put it or not.  I would have private messaged it but that option is not available on here.  I decided Oldboy was an old friend, and hopefully David wouldn't mind.

BenLaw's picture
RE:

Yeah but now everyone knows. It's fine to say a discount will be offered but I would avoid specifying what discount you got. 

gel
gel's picture
RE:

BenLaw wrote:

Yeah but now everyone knows. It's fine to say a discount will be offered but I would avoid specifying what discount you got. 

It was actually a price match with someone else too.

gel
gel's picture
replace it with?

I don't see how spreading deals that you got from various people is a crime to be honest, at the end of the day they wouldn't do it if they couldn't afford To.  But I had previously taken your stance on it though, but deals from various people get mentioned on here all the time.  I got an even better deal at Sevenoaks which I told everyone about.  Not that I think anyone else could achieve that level of discount to be honest.   Smile.  That was a serious one off!

psurquhart's picture
RE: replace it with?

gel wrote:

I don't see how spreading deals that you got from various people is a crime to be honest, at the end of the day they wouldn't do it if they couldn't afford To.  But I had previously taken your stance on it though, but deals from various people get mentioned on here all the time.  I got an even better deal at Sevenoaks which I told everyone about.  Not that I think anyone else could achieve that level of discount to be honest.   Smile.  That was a serious one off!

Agreed !

Gel wouldn't be Gel if he couldn't spread the Gospel of a good deal !

Keep on spreading the word of Gel, Gel !

Sony DA5400 ES, Sony BDP-S790, Panasonic 42" GT-30, Sky HD 1TB, PMC GB1's Front, PMC DB1C, Mission 752 Freedom's Rear, Still No Sub :0(

Gadgets - Apple TV3, iPad 4 64gb, iPhone 5, Xbox 360 Slim & a Wii for the kids.

gel
gel's picture
RE: replace it with?

psurquhart wrote:

gel wrote:

Agreed !

Gel wouldn't be Gel if he couldn't spread the Gospel of a good deal !

Keep on spreading the word of Gel, Gel !

Cheers mate.   Smile

Everybody on AV Forums knows David does good deals on stuff like this, so I am not exactly spreading new news anyway.

mr malarky's picture
RE:

BenLaw wrote:

In fairness to gel, the forum does have a section called "hot deals" where members are encouraged to share details of great offers they've managed to find..?

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P60ZT65B (calibrated), Pioneer SC-LX75, Denon DPB-2012, Sky-HD1TB, PS4, Xbox 360, Apple-TV, Atacama Equinox AV stand, Monitor Audio Silver RX8, RXC, RX-FX, RXW-12, Anti-Mode 8033c Sub EQ. Kitchen: Pioneer XC-HM81, Monitor Audio Bronze BX2. Bedroom: Samsung UE37D6510, Samsung BD-C5900, Sky-HD, Pioneer N-50, Rotel RC-03 (pre-amp), Rotel RB-9708X (power-amp), Mordaunt-Short MS914

BenLaw's picture
RE:

There's a (fairly obvious, I would have thought) distinction between widely publicising an advertised deal and revealing the personal discount which has been applied to an individual transaction. Anyway, David's been posting on the forum so if he sees this I'm sure he can comment one way or the other, it's not really my business.