27 posts / 0 new
Last post
sameersuleman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 6 days ago
Joined: 29/08/2012 - 19:06
Posts: 34
looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

Hi ,

 

i am planning a 3d b/ray player purchase and would do with some expert advise:-

 

Got the lg bp350 (quite cheap) but realised why as soon as it was delivered. I was misguided that this unit would decode DTS-HD MA.....it doesnt...and returning it even before pluging it into my power.

 

Now am decieding on the PIONEER BDP 150.Please advise if i should go for it and advise if it really does DTS-HD MA AND DOLBY TRUE HD.Also how is the 3d performance. I am currently using an lg 47inch led full hd telly. and onkyo av rcvr.

 

My other question is......if i am connecting the blueray player and av rcvr using a sony hdmi high speed cable ( not sure if its 1.3 or 1.4) and rcvr to tv  good quality 1.4 hdmi cable.is this in order or should both hdmi cables be 1.4,bearing in mind that we are looking for excellent 3d  and the best audio possible.

 

Would appreciate all your guidance and advise.

 

Thanks/SAMEER.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12910
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

sameersuleman wrote:

Hi ,

 

i am planning a 3d b/ray player purchase and would do with some expert advise:-

 

Got the lg bp350 (quite cheap) but realised why as soon as it was delivered. I was misguided that this unit would decode DTS-HD MA.....it doesnt...and returning it even before pluging it into my power.

 

Now am decieding on the PIONEER BDP 150.Please advise if i should go for it and advise if it really does DTS-HD MA AND DOLBY TRUE HD.Also how is the 3d performance. I am currently using an lg 47inch led full hd telly. and onkyo av rcvr.

 

My other question is......if i am connecting the blueray player and av rcvr using a sony hdmi high speed cable ( not sure if its 1.3 or 1.4) and rcvr to tv  good quality 1.4 hdmi cable.is this in order or should both hdmi cables be 1.4,bearing in mind that we are looking for excellent 3d  and the best audio possible.

 

Would appreciate all your guidance and advise.

 

Thanks/SAMEER.

 

This review is quite useful:

 

http://www.trustedreviews.com/pioneer-bdp-150_Blu-ray-Player_review_operation-performance-and-verdict_Page-2

 

Just bought a Pioneer 55 and love it for 2D playback - works great!

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12813
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

You should be alright with the HDMI cables you have. There is a drive towards moving away from 1.3, 1.4 etc. nomenclature.

Check HDMI buying guide from hdmi.org:

Some people have the mistaken idea that they should be shopping for a particular version of the HDMI Specification, for example, HDMI 1.4. This has never been true. Instead, you should shop for the specific features you want, and make sure that those features are supported in all the HDMI devices you will be using.

For instance, if you want to enjoy 3D video, you need to make sure that both the TV and the source device (for instance, a game console or disc player) support 3D. If you plan to route the signal through an AV receiver, it also needs to support 3D video.

This is also true for video resolution. Your 1080p TV will only display at 1080p if it is connected to a 1080p source device, such as a Blu-ray player or Set-top box.

Selecting the right HDMI cable depends on two things: the level of video resolution you intend to support, and whether or not you want Ethernet connectivity. Genuine HDMI cables are clearly labeled to make this process easy:

Designed to support video resolutions of 1080p and beyond, including advanced display technologies like 3D and 4K.

AnotherJoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/06/2011 - 13:50
Posts: 768
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

I'm not sure why you think the LG BD350 doesnt support DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD.

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12813
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

AnotherJoe wrote:

I'm not sure why you think the LG BD350 doesnt support DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD.

 

Good point. Besides, if your blu ray player doesn't decode audio, you can always bitstream for your Onkyo receiver to decode it. Which Onkyo is it? It does support DTS HD-MA and Dolby True HD right?

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12813
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

Check the user manual from this page, for your LG blu ray player:

http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-BD350#

It supports both DTS-HD MA as well as Dolby True HD.

sameersuleman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 6 days ago
Joined: 29/08/2012 - 19:06
Posts: 34
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

Many Thanks Big Boss, Sooo Sorry My Mistake the LG Player is actually BP 325  you can check it doesnt do DTS HD MA. Even LG uk confirmed this

sameersuleman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 6 days ago
Joined: 29/08/2012 - 19:06
Posts: 34
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

Anotherjoe, sorry my pistake the LG player is BP325 and not 350. Sorry again for that mix up.

sameersuleman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 6 days ago
Joined: 29/08/2012 - 19:06
Posts: 34
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

Big Boss,

 

Yes the LG BP325 decodes dolby true hd but not DTS-HD MA.Please explain to me...from what you say.. i can still get dts-hd ma if signal is bitstreamed from the player ? if so how is this done. Secondly Yes the onkyo rcvr  (HT-R590) does support both dts-hd ma and dolby true hd.

If  you can assure me that i can get DTS-HD MA through the rcvr then maybi i dont need to return the LG.

 

Also how do i knw if  my onkyo reciver  HT-R590 is with pass 3d signal.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12813
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

sameersuleman wrote:

Many Thanks Big Boss, Sooo Sorry My Mistake the LG Player is actually BP 325  you can check it doesnt do DTS HD MA. Even LG uk confirmed this

As I said, you can bitstream audio to your Onkyo receiver which can decode audio in all formats. Which Onkyo is it?

sameersuleman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 6 days ago
Joined: 29/08/2012 - 19:06
Posts: 34
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

Big boss,

 

Sorry for the piecemeal info but just went thru my Onkyo rcvr manual and it does confirm that  3D,ARC,DEEP COLOR, x v COLOR,LIPSYNC & CEC (RIHD)  are all supported. The video resolution is also 1080p

sameersuleman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 6 days ago
Joined: 29/08/2012 - 19:06
Posts: 34
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

its ONKYO HT-R590

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12813
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

According to page 30 of the manual, your Onkyo supports DTS HD MA as well as Dolby True HD. :cheers:

sameersuleman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 6 days ago
Joined: 29/08/2012 - 19:06
Posts: 34
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

YES IT DOES.

SO NOW KINDLY ADVISE ME ON HOW I WILL BITSTREAM FROM LG BP325 TO THE RECIEVER,WHAT SETTINGS SHOULD I GO TO ON THE LG PLAYER AND WHAT SHOULD I DO ? :wall: :wall: 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12910
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

sameersuleman wrote:

YES IT DOES.

SO NOW KINDLY ADVISE ME ON HOW I WILL BITSTREAM FROM LG BP325 TO THE RECIEVER,WHAT SETTINGS SHOULD I GO TO ON THE LG PLAYER AND WHAT SHOULD I DO ? :wall: :wall: 

 

On the Blu-ray player you go into the HDMI setting and select bitstream.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 11 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12813
RE: looking to purchase 3d blueray player.

LG BP 325 supports DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD:

http://www.lg.com/us/blu-ray-players/lg-BP325W

Pages

Log in or register to post comments