69 posts / 0 new
Last post
gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12842
Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

Can't believe it but it's true, I think in the next few months I will buy another Blu-Ray player and this time for keeps! :grin:

 

I am going to sell my Pioneer on AV and get a cheap deal for one, I think I will buy the Marantz UD5007.  I just decided I want quicker loading times.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

ellisdj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2008 - 17:55
Posts: 1324
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

If you want a cheap player with fast load times why not get the Panasonic BDT500.

My Cousin loves his - he had a LX71 before and he feeds into a 65VT65 - obviously calibrated Smile

 

Just rememebr secondary audio off, analogue audio off for much better sound and then chroma upsampling to advanced and you are on to a winner

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12842
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

ellisdj wrote:

If you want a cheap player with fast load times why not get the Panasonic BDT500.

My Cousin loves his - he had a LX71 before and he feeds into a 65VT65 - obviously calibrated Smile

 

Just rememebr secondary audio off, analogue audio off for much better sound and then chroma upsampling to advanced and you are on to a winner

 

Cheers mate.  I am hoping my picture looks as good as yours now come Thursday after calibration.  I will do some pictures.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 37 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12718
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

Or wait for Panasonic BDT700 (coming out in a month or so) which looks awesome!

ellisdj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2008 - 17:55
Posts: 1324
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

LOL you have only seen pictures of mine and its got a bit better since then Laughing

 

Whats more important is that it looks better than before the calibration -  of this I have no doubt

ellisdj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2008 - 17:55
Posts: 1324
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

bigboss wrote:

Or wait for Panasonic BDT700 (coming out in a month or so) which looks awesome!

 

That looks pukka but wont be cheap - its got 96khz upsampling which is interesting.

It might upsample the sound of the blu rays which is a Meridian thing potentially on the cheap.  Only speculating from the spec

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 37 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12718
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

ellisdj wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Or wait for Panasonic BDT700 (coming out in a month or so) which looks awesome!

 

That looks pukka but wont be cheap - its got 96khz upsampling which is interesting.

It might upsample the sound of the blu rays which is a Meridian thing potentially on the cheap.  Only speculating from the spec

I'm expecting this to be similarly priced as the BDT500 at launch, considering this is the replacement model.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12875
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

bigboss wrote:

ellisdj wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Or wait for Panasonic BDT700 (coming out in a month or so) which looks awesome!

 

That looks pukka but wont be cheap - its got 96khz upsampling which is interesting.

It might upsample the sound of the blu rays which is a Meridian thing potentially on the cheap.  Only speculating from the spec

I'm expecting this to be similarly priced as the BDT500 at launch, considering this is the replacement model.

In any case I don't think Gel's interested in "cheap".

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12842
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

The_Lhc wrote:

bigboss wrote:

ellisdj wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Or wait for Panasonic BDT700 (coming out in a month or so) which looks awesome!

 

That looks pukka but wont be cheap - its got 96khz upsampling which is interesting.

It might upsample the sound of the blu rays which is a Meridian thing potentially on the cheap.  Only speculating from the spec

I'm expecting this to be similarly priced as the BDT500 at launch, considering this is the replacement model.

In any case I don't think Gel's interested in "cheap".

 

Quite true, the Marantz's is the lowest I will go and even then I am a little bit weary but I think I should be fine.  Is the DVD performance the same as the more expensive Marantz?

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Neilmanc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 20/03/2011 - 19:52
Posts: 6
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

:rockout: According to April What HI-FI mag the next edition on sale 9 April has an up to date report on Blu-Ray players.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 37 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12718
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

gel wrote:

Quite true, the Marantz's is the lowest I will go and even then I am a little bit weary but I think I should be fine.  Is the DVD performance the same as the more expensive Marantz?

This has an aluminium front. Also HDMI 2.0. Worth checking it in flesh before deciding I think. I'll prefer the top model of a company as compared to a budget model of the other.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12842
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

bigboss wrote:

gel wrote:

Quite true, the Marantz's is the lowest I will go and even then I am a little bit weary but I think I should be fine.  Is the DVD performance the same as the more expensive Marantz?

This has an aluminium front. Also HDMI 2.0. Worth checking it in flesh before deciding I think. I'll prefer the top model of a company as compared to a budget model of the other.

 

I don't think Panasonic is right for me on this occasion, I did like the Denon I had but they have a bad rep, so I am not quite sure what to do.   The Marantz 5007 would be exactly the same as the Marantz 7007 for me.   Any other suggestions?  I am looking for a good price too.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12875
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

gel wrote:
I did like the Denon I had but they have a bad rep, so I am not quite sure what to do.

Nothing like trusting your own judgement eh?  :roll:

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12842
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

The_Lhc wrote:

gel wrote:
I did like the Denon I had but they have a bad rep, so I am not quite sure what to do.

Nothing like trusting your own judgement eh?  :roll:

 

Smile

 

I think it will come down to the Denon again or the Marantz.  I am just looking for a good deal now, and which one I find at a good price will probably win.  I have just loaded another disc on my Pioneer and this one loaded virtually straight away!  Last night when I did Star Wars it took about 3 mins!  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12842
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

The_Lhc wrote:

gel wrote:
I did like the Denon I had but they have a bad rep, so I am not quite sure what to do.

Nothing like trusting your own judgement eh?  :roll:

 

You have made me go for the Denon again!   :cheers:

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Series1boy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 14/10/2013 - 13:49
Posts: 253
RE: Considering 'Another' Blu-Ray player!

Had my 3313 for a month now Gel, it's top notch. Although if you like the denons, then the 1713 is a good choice and probably in your price range. With your calibrated VT though, any blueray player will look the same unless you play standard dvd's, then you'll notice the difference. This is why I got the 3313 because it's great with standard dvd's and have noticed it's better with motion than my lx71... Your choice though pal!

Living room: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated), Sky HD 1TB, Denon 3313UD, Denon 2113 AVR, Focal Chorus 716 5.1 speakers, iPad mini, iPhone 5s, Harmony Touch

Bedroom: Panasonic TH-46PZ85B plasma, Sky HD, Cambridge Audio DVD 57.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments