35 posts / 0 new
Last post
atanakata's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/04/2010 - 23:10
Posts: 206
RE: <<< DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer >>>

Tarxman wrote:

atanakata wrote:

Tarxman wrote:

Hmmm, seems odd that it would still read DVD and CDs. I feel as though it must be a software issue. Perhaps the latest firmware isn't agreeable. Worth giving Denon support a call I would think.

Yes, it reads them without any troubles...and yes, I have contatcted Denon, they said that they only deal with appliances up to 2 years old , i.e. In-warranty repairs. After that , one needs to contact the authorised services ...so I did , and I was told that nothing can be quoted over the phone, even an estimate. I need to courier it to them , and pay £ 45 for inspection and diagnosing of the issue. They they give you an estimate, and if you are not happy you loose of course your £ 45 and £15 for courier .....However , if you go ahead with the repair , then the £ 45 is deducted from your bill...If I know that the bill will be £ 100- £ 130 , then I would probably go for it..., but who knows. It will cost me £ 60 only to find out Sad

 

Gee whizz! They don't offer any support on products older than two years? That's a bit rubbish really. Not worth it then if they're going to charge you just to find out what the problem is.

 

yes, I know it is not worth it....Trouble is that I need a quality player with a good DAC as I play CD's too...so I don want to getbrid of this one just yet.... Will probably buy a cheaper one with a decent picture and used the two together.....Problem is I have not got any more room on the AV rack. Ha ha ha....but thanks for support anyway Smile much appreciated

atanakata's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/04/2010 - 23:10
Posts: 206
RE: <<< DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer >>>

bigboss wrote:

Was just thinking; try a blu ray lens cleaner like this and see if it solves the problem:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fellowes-Blu-Ray-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B006LLR99W

 

I tried, bigboss....it did not work Sad Thanks anyway....I am looking at the Sonys and Panasonic- ones now

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3424
RE: <<< DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer >>>

atanakata wrote:
I was told that nothing can be quoted over the phone, even an estimate. I need to courier it to them , and pay £ 45 for inspection and diagnosing of the issue. They they give you an estimate, and if you are not happy you loose of course your £ 45 and £15 for courier .....However , if you go ahead with the repair , then the £ 45 is deducted from your bill...If I know that the bill will be £ 100- £ 130 , then I would probably go for it..., but who knows. It will cost me £ 60 only to find out Sad

Welcome to the 21st century and its disposable junk which is deliberately engineered to be cost-ineffective to repair.

atanakata's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/04/2010 - 23:10
Posts: 206
RE: <<< DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer >>>

MajorFubar wrote:

atanakata wrote:
I was told that nothing can be quoted over the phone, even an estimate. I need to courier it to them , and pay £ 45 for inspection and diagnosing of the issue. They they give you an estimate, and if you are not happy you loose of course your £ 45 and £15 for courier .....However , if you go ahead with the repair , then the £ 45 is deducted from your bill...If I know that the bill will be £ 100- £ 130 , then I would probably go for it..., but who knows. It will cost me £ 60 only to find out Sad

Welcome to the 21st century and its disposable junk which is deliberately engineered to be cost-ineffective to repair.

I know Sad
atanakata's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/04/2010 - 23:10
Posts: 206
RE: <<< DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer >>>

Btw, I was advised to try again with a lens cleaning disk, not the dry-type though , but the one with the cleaning liquid.... If not , to open the device up and attempt to clean the lens myself, as I have done many times before with cheap DVD players....So , I will give it a go..and let you know the outcome Smile

JezBrooker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 12/05/2010 - 12:19
Posts: 1
RE: DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer

Hi All, My DBP-2012UD just started to do the same thing after the latest firmware update. Noticed on AV Forums that people with the newer models are experiencing the same issues. Looks like Denon have messed up. Can't find a way to back rev the firmware to test. Getting any info out of Denon is like banging you head against a brick wall. The change log on the Firmware site doesn't give any clues or support. Guess we'll have to wait for a firmware release. Back to my Panasonic BD35 for now.

atanakata's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/04/2010 - 23:10
Posts: 206
RE: DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer

JezBrooker wrote:

Hi All, My DBP-2012UD just started to do the same thing after the latest firmware update. Noticed on AV Forums that people with the newer models are experiencing the same issues. Looks like Denon have messed up. Can't find a way to back rev the firmware to test. Getting any info out of Denon is like banging you head against a brick wall. The change log on the Firmware site doesn't give any clues or support. Guess we'll have to wait for a firmware release. Back to my Panasonic BD35 for now.

Wow, sorry to hear that. Your player is much newer , which makes it even worst to take ... Is it out of the 2 years warranty yet ?

DId the problem start only after you did the update , or you`ve had some symptoms before ?

atanakata's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/04/2010 - 23:10
Posts: 206
RE: DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer

Hiya all, 

Just a little update : After multiple cleaning attempts , using both dry and with cleaning fluid lens cleaner disk I came to the conclusion that this is NOT going to work Smile Looks like a new player is due. I will buy a much cheaper one this time, to use just as a BluRay player, and will keep using the Denon as my CD player and DVD upscaler ...It is a shame, and my AV rack will look messier with another unit on, but on a positive note , will have a 3D player as well. The Denon was just a BluRay, no 3D....

Just wonder , shall I give it one last try and open it , and attempt to clean the lense myself , using spirit and a cotton bud. I have done it before with older players and it had always worked.However I have never tried on BluRay player....It may work , but it may ruins it completely , so I loose also the Cd and Dvd player Smile

Your thoughts will be much appreciated .Thank you

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12842
RE: <<< DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer >>>

There must be some way to fix it!   :wall:   So I guess retailers all know that Denon Blu-Ray players are junk!  How annoying.  

 

I can't see how cleaning it can do any good but try all you like.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

atanakata's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/04/2010 - 23:10
Posts: 206
RE: <<< DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer >>>

gel wrote:

There must be some way to fix it!   :wall:   So I guess retailers all know that Denon Blu-Ray players are junk!  How annoying.  

 

I can't see how cleaning it can do any good but try all you like.

Well , yes...it is annoying ...At the end of the day those extended warranties that they offer when you buy , now do not seem to bad Smile Shame you have to realise it the hard way Sad

I'll see what I can do and will post back witn the outcome . cheers Gel 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12842
RE: <<< DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer >>>

atanakata wrote:

gel wrote:

There must be some way to fix it!   :wall:   So I guess retailers all know that Denon Blu-Ray players are junk!  How annoying.  

 

I can't see how cleaning it can do any good but try all you like.

Well , yes...it is annoying ...At the end of the day those extended warranties that they offer when you buy , now do not seem to bad Smile Shame you have to realise it the hard way Sad

I'll see what I can do and will post back witn the outcome . cheers Gel 

 

Something must be able to be done!  Anyone?  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12694
RE: <<< DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer >>>

As the player is over 4 years old, it is difficult to get the retailer / manufacturer to repair it free of charge. Potentially, you can use Sale of Goods Act, but it's up to the OP to prove that the problem is a result of manufacturing defect.

atanakata's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/04/2010 - 23:10
Posts: 206
RE: <<< DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer >>>

bigboss wrote:

As the player is over 4 years old, it is difficult to get the retailer / manufacturer to repair it free of charge. Potentially, you can use Sale of Goods Act, but it's up to the OP to prove that the problem is a result of manufacturing defect.

Thanks for the suggestion Big Boss. I don`t think I`ll have any luck with that, but certainly will have a read through the Sale of Goods Act later on this evening.  I know somebody that had a Sony TV with 1 year warranty that broke after 20 months , and after a long saga with Sony he bought a new one of them and they agreed to repair the old one for him free of charge . The repair itself was about £800 Smile So he ended up with 2 working TV`s ...

Good suggestion nevertheless .txs

atanakata's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/04/2010 - 23:10
Posts: 206
RE: DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer

JezBrooker wrote:

Hi All, My DBP-2012UD just started to do the same thing after the latest firmware update. Noticed on AV Forums that people with the newer models are experiencing the same issues. Looks like Denon have messed up. Can't find a way to back rev the firmware to test. Getting any info out of Denon is like banging you head against a brick wall. The change log on the Firmware site doesn't give any clues or support. Guess we'll have to wait for a firmware release. Back to my Panasonic BD35 for now.

Hi JezBrooker,

Just a suggestion, I don not know if it will work with the restoring the old firmware , but to RESTORE TO FACTORY DEFAULTS use the following, it is definitely worth a try : 

Switch the player ON > Remove any disks from the tray > On the remote press the buttons in the following order  1 2 3 4 and then DISPLAY > Depending on the model you will probably see a greenish screen on the TV and few squares on player's display > Now press the STOP button on the remote > Now on the TV you should have the same greenish screen , whereas on the Player's screen you should see CLEAR > To finish with the Reset press The POWER OFF on your remote.

!!! Now, this is for my BDP 2010 model.It would probably work on yours too,but I can not guarantee,and it is entirely your decision wether to use it or not 

Good luck.Hope it works for you Smile

atanakata's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/04/2010 - 23:10
Posts: 206
RE: <<< DENON BDP-2010 does not play Blu-rays any longer >>>

Decision has been made .

Faulty Denon stays as a CD Player and DVD Upscaler . No point selling on E-bay. It will fetch  £ 50 - 100 at max . ( followed couple auctions in the last week to see what price they will get to ) ....No point selling it for peanuts . Feeding with its sort-of-decent DAC , a Leema Pulse amp , still sound quite sweet ....Watching DVD`s is still a treat ...

The Blu-Ray playback will be taken care of a Sony BDP-S4200 or S5200. Still waiting for Sony to reply to my question about the screen mirroring - the main difference between both units . It is done via Miracast , not sure if that will work with my I-phone and I-pad .... Also, the two players are the only players that small ...Size is a big issue for me , as not much room on AV rack......Shame WHF still has not reviewed  any of those new players

Pages

Log in or register to post comments