Have your say & ask the experts!

Blu ray Review Request to WHF Team - Can you please comment on both..

10 replies [Last post]
ellisdj's picture
Online
Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1097

Hi

 

There are AV systems out there that require the Blu Ray player to do the decoding rather than the reciever.

 

In reviews sound is always commented on but its rare to see the reference to either PCM or Bitstream.

 

I know review time is tight - however I feel the inclusion of testing of both could be done and commented back on please - or at least clearly sepcifying in the review sound via sounds like this......

 

Thanks very much

__________________

Meridian G61R, HD621, Bryston 9BSST

Optimised Audio PC - J River / JPlay / Custom Full Linear Power Supply

Panasonic 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, HIFi Racks Podium Reference

Monitor Audio GX100, GXC150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA (set with hard knee house curve)

JCAT USB and Sata, Graham Slee Spatia (SC) Graham Slee Lautus Digital / Analogue IC x 9

The_Lhc's picture
Online
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12624
RE: Blu ray Review Request to WHF Team

ellisdj wrote:
There are AV systems out there that require the Blu Ray player to do the decoding rather than the reciever.

What, still? Wow...

ellisdj's picture
Online
Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1097
RE: Blu ray Review Request to WHF Team

The_Lhc wrote:

ellisdj wrote:
There are AV systems out there that require the Blu Ray player to do the decoding rather than the reciever.

What, still? Wow...

 

Thats how several high end systems do it and its argued by them to be the best soundign method - trying to be clever there werent you

__________________

Meridian G61R, HD621, Bryston 9BSST

Optimised Audio PC - J River / JPlay / Custom Full Linear Power Supply

Panasonic 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, HIFi Racks Podium Reference

Monitor Audio GX100, GXC150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA (set with hard knee house curve)

JCAT USB and Sata, Graham Slee Spatia (SC) Graham Slee Lautus Digital / Analogue IC x 9

The_Lhc's picture
Online
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12624
RE: Blu ray Review Request to WHF Team

No, it was a genuine question, I know a lot of early HDMI equipped amps couldn't decode (particularly at the budget end) but that was some time ago, hence the query, however now you mention it I do recall seeing a news story about a high-end processor (I don't think it was even an amp) that didn't carry HD audio decoding, in fact I think I commented on it at the time, was it an Anthem perhaps?

In which case, good point, particularly for top-end players.

ellisdj's picture
Online
Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1097
RE: Blu ray Review Request to WHF Team - Can you please

The 2 I know 1 is the Audiolab Processor - very highly regarded.

 

The other is what I have the Meridian system of HD621 added to any other their processors.

__________________

Meridian G61R, HD621, Bryston 9BSST

Optimised Audio PC - J River / JPlay / Custom Full Linear Power Supply

Panasonic 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, HIFi Racks Podium Reference

Monitor Audio GX100, GXC150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA (set with hard knee house curve)

JCAT USB and Sata, Graham Slee Spatia (SC) Graham Slee Lautus Digital / Analogue IC x 9

DandyCobalt's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Oct 2010
Posts: 1447
RE: Blu ray Review Request to WHF Team

Good point.

If you've got a really good blu-ray player with its own decoding mastery ( Oppo 105, CA 751 etc), then what's the point in the av receiver having its own attempt and significant cost for decoding.

I was thinking of upgrading my Pioneer VSX LX52 to the 86, but so much of it would be wasted money, I think?(My 751 already does a great job of decoding DAC,)

 

__________________

Pioneer tv + LX85, Sony HW15 Proj, Cyrus DAC XP+/Mono X300/CDXTSE2/PSXRx2, Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands and Maestro centre, B&W CM1 surrounds /PV1D (9.1), CA BD751, Virgin TiVo, Inspire Rega t/t, Benz Glider MC, EAR 834P phono amp; Slee Novo Headphone Amp.TQ Black.

The_Lhc's picture
Online
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12624
RE: Blu ray Review Request to WHF Team - Can you please

ellisdj wrote:
The 2 I know 1 is the Audiolab Processor - very highly regarded.

I think that's probably the one I was thinking of.

FennerMachine's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Feb 2011
Posts: 556
RE: Blu ray Review Request to WHF Team

My Denon amp doesn’t have HDMI so my CA 751BD does the decoding.

__________________

CA 751BD, Denon AVR-3801, Quad 21L2, Quad L2 Centre, Mission 78DS

Samsung LE32R87BD 32"

The_Lhc's picture
Online
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 12624
RE: Blu ray Review Request to WHF Team

FennerMachine wrote:
My Denon amp doesn’t have HDMI so my CA 751BD does the decoding.

Yes but they're old amps (same as my Sony), I was talking more about new models.

ellisdj's picture
Online
Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1097
RE: Blu ray Review Request to WHF Team

DandyCobalt wrote:

Good point.

If you've got a really good blu-ray player with its own decoding mastery ( Oppo 105, CA 751 etc), then what's the point in the av receiver having its own attempt and significant cost for decoding.

I was thinking of upgrading my Pioneer VSX LX52 to the 86, but so much of it would be wasted money, I think?(My 751 already does a great job of decoding DAC,)

 

 

I dont agree with that - a lot of the extra money will go into better pre amp / amplification and dac quality which will definately make an imprevement.- the 86 will def sound better than the 56

The processing will probably be better as well (better chips) - dont get confused decoding is not processing.

In theory it probably shouldnt make any difference - the same as every blu ray player should soud the same if it feeds the amp Bitstream - however thats not reported as the case and not my experience either

__________________

Meridian G61R, HD621, Bryston 9BSST

Optimised Audio PC - J River / JPlay / Custom Full Linear Power Supply

Panasonic 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, HIFi Racks Podium Reference

Monitor Audio GX100, GXC150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA (set with hard knee house curve)

JCAT USB and Sata, Graham Slee Spatia (SC) Graham Slee Lautus Digital / Analogue IC x 9

gel
gel's picture
Online
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 11581
RE: Blu ray Review Request to WHF Team

ellisdj wrote:

DandyCobalt wrote:

Good point.

If you've got a really good blu-ray player with its own decoding mastery ( Oppo 105, CA 751 etc), then what's the point in the av receiver having its own attempt and significant cost for decoding.

I was thinking of upgrading my Pioneer VSX LX52 to the 86, but so much of it would be wasted money, I think?(My 751 already does a great job of decoding DAC,)

 

 

I dont agree with that - a lot of the extra money will go into better pre amp / amplification and dac quality which will definately make an imprevement.- the 86 will def sound better than the 56

The processing will probably be better as well (better chips) - dont get confused decoding is not processing.

In theory it probably shouldnt make any difference - the same as every blu ray player should soud the same if it feeds the amp Bitstream - however thats not reported as the case and not my experience either

 

Spot on!

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.