128 posts / 0 new
Last post
strapped for cash's picture
RE: Any CA 651BD Owners Out There?

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

What do you think caused it?

Panasonic.

Excuse my response there Gel. The post seems curt and sarcastic, which wasn't my intention.

You ask a fair question, though I think I'm past trying to work out the technicalities of different problems. At this point it's easier to blame the manufacturer, since all issues with tech come down to engineering and quality control.

ellisdj's picture

Strapped mate. that is bad luck - I honestly dont know anyone as unlucky as you in this sort of regard - but you are proactive and will get it sorted.

If you get a new set maybe I will end up calibrating it after all ....  I would chop the 50" and move up in size.

To me the 50" seems the most problematic, I would guess it the most mass manufacturted size with the tightest profit margin so maybe its production quality is slightly less stringent - one would hope not.

You have noticed a difference in 3D playback - would you say there is no difference in the 2D playback between your 2 players? 

If there is a difference in 3D, that difference must be there in 2D also its essentially the same.

Meridian 861 V4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST

Monitor Audio PL100, GXC 150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA

Custom Audio PC LPSU + Batts, JPLAY, JCAT and PPA Studio

Panny 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, Graham Slee Analogue and Digital Cables, Isotek

ellisdj wrote:

If there is a difference in 3D, that difference must be there in 2D also its essentially the same.

Not if the BDP forces processing when recognising 3D BDs. It's interesting that various options, including "source direct" playback, are available when playing 2D BDs, but not 3D discs.

I'm not saying the 651 definitely uses undefeatable processing with 3D BDs; but viewing 3D content I know well, it seems there are subtle differences between the 651 and Panasonic 120.

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

What do you think caused it?

Panasonic.

Excuse my response there Gel. The post seems curt and sarcastic, which wasn't my intention.

You ask a fair question, though I think I'm past trying to work out the technicalities of different problems. At this point it's easier to blame the manufacturer, since all issues with tech come down to engineering and quality control.

That is cool.   Smile  Just had my demo of the Panasonic 55VT65 with a Pioneer BDP-LX55 and really liked them!  The Panasonic went brighter and darker than last year and with more detail.  It was really good!   Smile  The Blu-ray player had a cracking picture too, just the way I like it.  No issues either, and the shop hadn't had any issues with them.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

Are you thinking of jumping in then, or are you waiting for the right deal?

Where did you demo?

pioneer7's picture

Alright Strapped

Thats a bummer especially after calibration, but mat be you should just hang on a while to see if the problem sorts it self out, if you look at how long you have had the set its no time at all, however as you have stated you have more hours on it than say the average viewer would have, so if you had less hours on it would it have taken longer for the problem to show itself...if you see what I mean.So with luck the problem might go after a while, but this may take some time, how long do you give it, is not an answer anybody can give, but I think give it a few weeks or a month or two, at least then you can say you have given it a fair time to sort it self out, BUT that is easier to say than to wait, either it will get worse or it will go, or stay the same, The thing is as you say you know its there and you looking for problems now, so your enjoyment has some what faded, if it is bugging you that much then send it back now, I would still stick with the same set though at this moment in time, but personally I would hang on.. Dirol  

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

Are you thinking of jumping in then, or are you waiting for the right deal?

Where did you demo?

I would like it a bit cheaper, and there is no urgent need.  I demoed at Technosound here:

http://www.technosound.co.uk/Home.html

I nearly did buy the Pioneer 55 though, they had an ex-display for £199 but recommended I wait for them to get a new one at £249.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

I thought a 50" screen was your limit. Can you squeeze the 55" VT in?

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

It is, they didn't have the 50inch on demo, so I had to demo that one, it was beside a 55VT50 so I got to see the difference.

gel wrote:

strapped for cash wrote:

It is, they didn't have the 50inch on demo, so I had to demo that one, it was beside a 55VT50 so I got to see the difference.

How did the two compare, in your opinion? I never got see a VT50 in action.

Quick update on the 651 and DVD upscaling.

I had a tinker and tested a good dozen DVDs tonight. (Obviously not the whole films, just selected scenes.) The 651's upscaling abilities range from outstanding to variable, depending on the quality of the source.

When playing a well mastered DVD, the 651 does a phenomenal job; at times you could be forgiven for thinking you were watching a BD.

With poorly mastered titles, however, the results are less impressive. At times it seems too much processing is going on. The Marvell upscaling introduces obvious artifacts. It's clear that Marvell processing can only do so much; and the 651's efforts to add definition occasionally create problems when the source material isn't up to scratch.

For instance, in the opening scene of In the Bedroom, Marisa Tomei runs across a wheatfield wearing a flower patterned dress. The dress broke up into strange lines when the 651 was upscaling the image. It's not the best DVD in terms of mastering; and the 651 struggled to reproduce this sequence perfectly. Other scenes in this film looked very good, however, and clearly better than outputting at native resolution.  

I concluded that Marvell processing should be used selectively. With poorly mastered titles, it's probably better to output at 576i. Detail and depth are sacrificed for a more stable picture, but I preferred my VT65's upscaling under such circumstances. However, the 651 really breathes life into well mastered DVDs and clearly outperforms the VT65. I'm not sure I'd want to sacrifice this performance.

I'll contemplate whether the 651 is worth the outlay during the next week... 

bigboss's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

I'll contemplate whether the 651 is worth the outlay during the next week... 

Depends on how frequently are you going to watch well mastered DVDs. 

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

strapped for cash wrote:

How did the two compare, in your opinion? I never got see a VT50 in action.

The VT65 was brighter, more detail, deeper blacks and more distinct colours.  The owner of the shop said there was not much difference between the two, and he was right in some ways but I could see the differences quite big.

bigboss wrote:

Depends on how frequently are you going to watch well mastered DVDs. 

Guess so. Many of my remaining DVDs are not the best quality (possibly because they're quite obscure titles not released on BD). I'm questioning whether the 651 is adding value here. (At least in my specific circumstances.) I have the option to return without a restocking charge, though I think I'll do a little more testing before reaching a conclusion.

gel wrote:

The VT65 was brighter, more detail, deeper blacks and more distinct colours.  The owner of the shop said there was not much difference between the two, and he was right in some ways but I could see the differences quite big.

The difference in performance between the GT50 and VT65 is quite pronounced in my opinion.

Ignoring any issues the two TVs may have, the VT65's picture has noticeably greater depth and detail; and an analogue quality to images I've not seen before on a digital TV. 

Pages