128 posts / 0 new
Last post
gel's picture
RE: Any CA 651BD Owners Out There?

BenLaw wrote:

Given that your two reasons to buy were improved dvd upscaling, which is not as much of an improvement as you'd hoped, and build quality / pride of ownership, which again is not all you'd hoped for, it sounds to me like you may be disappointed at spending the money in the mid to long term. If it were me (and it's not) I would either dedicate myself to potentially spending the extra and get an Oppo 103 for demo or I would stick with what I had until that price was realistic. 

Sorry if that isn't as positive as it should be  :oops:

If you do go the Oppo route phone David at Frank Harvey and try and get a deal, they have a sale on at present:

http://www.hifix.co.uk/blu-ray-players/oppo/bdp103eu.html

Or you could go the Pioneer 55 route like me, I will be having a big demo tomorrow with it and the TV!

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

strapped for cash's picture

I'm not really willing to spend any more than I already have. I'm also wary of Pioneer BDPs. Too many glitches...

BenLaw's picture

The text says sale but the price is the same as everywhere else (last time I checked, which is some months ago). It also seems odd that the multi region version costs £575, whereas when I've looked at other places it's only a £100 premium. I also see you're invited to match it with a variety of £100+ hdmi cables  :wall:

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

I'm not really willing to spend any more than I already have. I'm also wary of Pioneer BDPs. Too many glitches...

The way I understand it is the glitches are with Internet and YouTube content not general playback.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

BenLaw wrote:

Given that your two reasons to buy were improved dvd upscaling, which is not as much of an improvement as you'd hoped, and build quality / pride of ownership, which again is not all you'd hoped for, it sounds to me like you may be disappointed at spending the money in the mid to long term. If it were me (and it's not) I would either dedicate myself to potentially spending the extra and get an Oppo 103 for demo or I would stick with what I had until that price was realistic. 

Well, I'm not convinced any BDP will be built to quite the same bomb-proof specification as the 2500BT. It honestly felt like you could throw it from a first floor window and it would suffer minor dents at worst. (For the record, nobody should perform this test with any AV equipment.) 

The 651 is very well built indeed; it's just not quite the indestructible brick my old Denon BDP was/presumably still is.

I'm also confident that DVD upscaling doesn't get any better. The Oppo uses the same Marvell processing as the CA, so I don't think I'd gain anything by spending more on the Oppo.

Besides, I have a more immediate concern. My VT65 has developed a subtle cyan tint across the left twenty percent of the screen. The tint isn't visible with the majority of content, but uniform colours show it up. This has nothing to do with the calibration. (Obviously calibration can't influence screen uniformity.) I've spoken to Jules about this and, without going into specifics (I'm not sure he'd want me too), I couldn't possibly ask for more from a calibrator.

However, I'm left with a dilemma. Do I live with the tint, on the basis that little content is affected? It may vanish over time. Do I ask JL for a replacement VT65? Do I abandon all faith in Panasonic plasmas and switch allegiance to Samsung? (The F8500 has its own quirks.)

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Well, I'm not convinced any BDP will be built to quite the same bomb-proof specification as the 2500BT. It honestly felt like you could throw it from a first floor window and it would suffer minor dents at worst. (For the record, nobody should perform this test with any AV equipment.) 

The 651 is very well built indeed; it's just not quite the indestructible brick my old Denon BDP was/presumably still is.

I'm also confident that DVD upscaling doesn't get any better. The Oppo uses the same Marvell processing as the CA, so I don't think I'd gain anything by spending more on the Oppo.

Besides, I have a more immediate concern. My VT65 has developed a subtle cyan tint across the left twenty percent of the screen. The tint isn't visible with the majority of content, but uniform colours show it up. This has nothing to do with the calibration. (Obviously calibration can't influence screen uniformity.) I've spoken to Jules about this and, without going into specifics (I'm not sure he'd want me too), I couldn't possibly ask for more from a calibrator.

However, I'm left with a dilemma. Do I live with the tint, on the basis that little content is affected? It may vanish over time. Do I ask JL for a replacement VT65? Do I abandon all faith in Panasonic plasmas and switch allegiance to Samsung? (The F8500 has its own quirks.)

Flipping heck!  I am sorry to hear that mate!  

gel wrote:

I think I've abandoned all hope of ever owning a TV that works properly. In the strictest sense all TVs I've owned "worked." All produced a picture. None of them developed terminal faults. They just had issues that left me feeling disappointed and deflated. I wouldn't swap my VT65 for a GT50 with VBI.

Live with it and hope it gets better might be the only answer left. I can't face the prospect of switching out TVs again. If things get worse I'm covered by JL's warranty. It's probably a good idea to call and report the issue, though.

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

I think I've abandoned all hope of ever owning a TV that works properly. In the strictest sense all TVs I've owned "worked." All produced a picture. None of them developed terminal faults. They just had issues that left me feeling disappointed and deflated. I wouldn't swap my VT65 for a GT50 with VBI.

Live with it and hope it gets better might be the only answer left. I can't face the prospect of switching out TVs again. If things get worse I'm covered by JL's warranty. It's probably a good idea to call and report the issue, though.

It sounds quite serious.  Yep, reporting the issue sounds wise.  What do you think caused it?

gel wrote:

It sounds quite serious.

To be honest mate, I don't know. It might be a slight kink that's ironed out over time.

I can't see anything problematic on most content. If I display slides or watch content with unform colours on screen (especially yellow for some reason), there's a subtle cyan tint over the far left of the screen.  

gel wrote:

What do you think caused it?

Panasonic.

bigboss's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

What do you think caused it?

Panasonic.

:grin:

bigboss's picture

Anyone else reported the same issue on other forums?

BenLaw's picture

This is bad news. I take it it shows up with sport?

bigboss wrote:

Anyone else reported the same issue on other forums?

Not that I've seen, but I bought the TV the moment it was available in stores. I'd imagine my TV has clocked up more hours than most VT65s out there.

The tint is very slight and affects a relatively small portion of the screen. I'm wondering whether I'm blowing things out of proportion, but now I've seen the tint, I'm tending to spot it more frequently.

BenLaw wrote:

This is bad news. I take it it shows up with sport?

I've only watched tennis recently. I can see a very slight blue tint to the grass on the left of the screen. I'm not sure I'd have noticed this had I not seen the tint on other content.

Pages