128 posts / 0 new
Last post
gel's picture
RE: Any CA 651BD Owners Out There?

ellisdj wrote:

Gel if you think its good now - wait until you see it calibrated mate -- its a completey different ball game - especially 3D!!!  I cant stress that enough, 3D out of the box is horrifically bad, but can be jaw dropping good.

Add the Marantz in there and you are talking mate Wink

Yep, I have been following your threads, and Titanic 3D sounds good!  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

strapped for cash's picture

Titanic is a terrible film, in 2D and 3D (if not quite as awful as Avatar). That said, the 3D conversion is extremely well done.

And that's perhaps the biggest problem with 3D. However technically accomplished, most 3D movies are embarrasingly bad at the level of narrative, character, and dialogue.

ellisdj's picture

See I disagree with you there for both films - they are both master pieces in their own right and damn good films.

I cant see whats not to like - both have good characters, very well acted with excellent scripts and a huge amount of imagination and effort to bring the stories to life.  Both I suppose have simple plots - but to me that what makes them special - every ounce of thought has gone in to making that simple story magical

I have always liked Titanic - saw it at the pictures, I havent seen the 2D blu ray yet but after seeing it in 3D I dont think I could watch it in 2D.

Avatar I have watched all the way through probs 10 times, and watched sections of it on demo far more times but I never get bored of watching it as its so impressive.  It also gets better every time my kit does.

Meridian 861 V4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST - GIK Acoustics

Monitor Audio PL100, GXC 150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA

Custom Audio PC LPSU + Batts, JPLAY, JCAT and PPA Studio

Panny 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, Graham Slee Cables, Isotek, XLO

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. :grin:

pioneer7's picture

Blimey got there in the end...about time, mine arrives next week, Happy days. Dirol

pioneer7 wrote:

Blimey got there in the end...about time, mine arrives next week, Happy days. Dirol

I'll be interested to hear what you think after testing the player with a range of content. 

pioneer7's picture

Indeed looking forward to that, I think with this player at the price it can be had for, there is more to it than just the upscaling, which seems to be your main interest, I understand where you are coming from in terms of spending £300 over your current player, but there are other aspects as well, the build qaulity alone is first class, universal playback I have a few SACD Discs floating around some where, although this might not be your cup of tea, it is there so you could try it, I think you would be very impressed, then the play back of normal CDs again very good, then the upscaling which I am not really interested in but from others is excellent, Ok it might not be the best looking machine but who cares, so over all you are getting a lot of extras and quality for an excellent price, but like I said before the good thing is you are able to dem at home, so no matter what any one says only you will know if it is worth the outlay. If you can get hold of a SACD it would be well worth a listen, you might even like it. Dirol   

gel's picture

How's it going with the Cambridge Audio Blu-ray player, Strapped?

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

gel wrote:

How's it going with the Cambridge Audio Blu-ray player, Strapped?

I bought it over the phone; delivery on Monday. I'll report back...

pioneer7 wrote:

Indeed looking forward to that, I think with this player at the price it can be had for, there is more to it than just the upscaling, which seems to be your main interest, I understand where you are coming from in terms of spending £300 over your current player, but there are other aspects as well, the build qaulity alone is first class, universal playback I have a few SACD Discs floating around some where, although this might not be your cup of tea, it is there so you could try it, I think you would be very impressed, then the play back of normal CDs again very good, then the upscaling which I am not really interested in but from others is excellent, Ok it might not be the best looking machine but who cares, so over all you are getting a lot of extras and quality for an excellent price, but like I said before the good thing is you are able to dem at home, so no matter what any one says only you will know if it is worth the outlay. If you can get hold of a SACD it would be well worth a listen, you might even like it. Dirol   

For regular CD playback, I think the 651 is unlikely to best my Teac PD-H600, but I'll happily give a few SACDs a spin.

For me, it's all about upscaling and the 651 is the cheapest BDP available with Marvell processing. We all have different priorities, though the 651 should cover most users' needs. 

pioneer7's picture

Alright Strapped

Have you received your player yet, if so we are waiting with anticipation for your first thoughts, so spill the beans...PALEEEEZE. Dirol  

Well, there are good and not so good things to report.

DVD upscaling is excellent. The 651 beats my Panasonic 120 in this regard. The difference is perhaps not as pronounced as I'd hoped, but the Marvell chip definitely does a better job of processing SD content.

I'm using the BDP as a transport with 1080p content. Images look lovely and the 651 performs as expected. 

3D playback is interesting. I think there's some subtle processing going on, as evidenced by A/B comparisons and the absence of picture tweaks when playing 3D discs. You can't select source direct when playing 3D Blu-rays, either, so any processing can't be bypassed.

There's a really nice sequence in IMAX Hubble 3D that slowly pans through a "star nursery." I thought a few subtle details were missing when watching this sequence through the 651. On the other hand, the 651 made the 3D image seem a little smoother and more natural.

Build quality is very good, but the CA isn't as tank-like as my old Denon DVD2500BT. The 651's remote also feels a bit cheap, while the layout defies all logic. The remote buttons squeak when pressed, too.

In other words, the jury's still out and further deliberation is needed.

pioneer7's picture

OK sounds promising seems there are more positives than negatives, but yes as you say these things take time to ajust to... Dirol

gel's picture

Yep, sounds good.

BenLaw's picture

Given that your two reasons to buy were improved dvd upscaling, which is not as much of an improvement as you'd hoped, and build quality / pride of ownership, which again is not all you'd hoped for, it sounds to me like you may be disappointed at spending the money in the mid to long term. If it were me (and it's not) I would either dedicate myself to potentially spending the extra and get an Oppo 103 for demo or I would stick with what I had until that price was realistic. 

Sorry if that isn't as positive as it should be  :oops:

Pages