128 posts / 0 new
Last post
strapped for cash's picture
RE: Any CA 651BD Owners Out There?

Thanks BB.

Believe it or not, I read that very same article (translated) before deciding Marvell QDEO is the way to go. Several reviews stating that Marvell processors deliver reference upscaling performance sealed it.

I called RS this morning to arrange a home demo or purchase. They rang back, but I missed the call and got caught up watching Darcis beat Nadal.

Tomorrow, then...

Bought; though I couldn't get into the store and I'm away for the next few days. Delivery on Monday.

BenLaw's picture

:grin: Congrats. 

We'll see!

I've got a fortnight to test it, during which I can get a full refund (no restocking charge), no questions asked. I'm unlikely to return it, but you never know.

I'm keen to see what Marvell QDEO processing does for SD content and other lower resolution sources. I'll report back after A/B testing. 

bigboss's picture

:cheers:

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

We'll see!

I've got a fortnight to test it, during which I can get a full refund (no restocking charge), no questions asked. I'm unlikely to return it, but you never know.

I'm keen to see what Marvell QDEO processing does for SD content and other lower resolution sources. I'll report back after A/B testing. 

Good deal, I wouldn't mind getting one home too.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

gel wrote:

There are very few left now. You could try Leicester and Oxford branches, as they still have stock. Technically stock can't be transferred between stores, but they might deliver if you ask nicely. It'd save you travelling.

Alternatively, the Milton Keynes branch has one 751BD left, if you want to push the boat out. I considered the 751, but it doesn't give me anything extra that I want or need. I'll stick with my dedicated CDP for analogue stereo duties, since it's arguably my favourite system component. The 651 will be used strictly as a transport with Blu-rays, though I'll engage Marvell processing to upscale DVDs.

If I were you, I'd spend the money on a professional calibration. You'll receive a far more significant upgrade than spending the same amount on a BDP. Just a thought... Smile

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

There are very few left now. You could try Leicester and Oxford branches, as they still have stock. Technically stock can't be transferred between stores, but they might deliver if you ask nicely. It'd save you travelling.

Alternatively, the Milton Keynes branch has one 751BD left, if you want to push the boat out. I considered the 751, but it doesn't give me anything extra that I want or need. I'll stick with my dedicated CDP for analogue stereo duties, since it's arguably my favourite system component. The 651 will be used strictly as a transport with Blu-rays, though I'll engage Marvell processing to upscale DVDs.

If I were you, I'd spend the money on a professional calibration. You'll receive a far more significant upgrade than spending the same amount on a BDP. Just a thought... Smile

I thought the Milton Keynes branch had sold out of both!  I will have to have a think again, and might give them a call.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

I can't convince anyone that calibration might be worthwhile. It seems people would rather spend their money on anything but... Smile

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

I can't convince anyone that calibration might be worthwhile. It seems people would rather spend their money on anything but... Smile

I don't trust TVs.   Smile

gel wrote:

A fair point from a Panasonic plasma owner. :grin:

There are no guarantees, but if your GT50 shows no sign of bad behaviour, you'd be on pretty safe ground. Even if your GT50 died six months after calibration, it'd be £200 well spent in my view.

With all the problems I've had recently with TVs, I felt a little anxious, but I was intrigued enough to live dangerously.

gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

gel wrote:

A fair point from a Panasonic plasma owner. :grin:

There are no guarantees, but if your GT50 shows no sign of bad behaviour, you'd be on pretty safe ground. Even if your GT50 died six months after calibration, it'd be £200 well spent in my view.

With all the problems I've had recently with TVs, I felt a little anxious, but I was intrigued enough to live dangerously.

You did really surprise me when you said you were having it done.  Yep, my GT50 has been really solid, just a slight bit of image retention which I should get rid of sometime.  I am not 100 per cent sure on how to do it though, I will have to check the manual.  Just seems like a lot of money when I still go wow at the picture even now, on a daily basis!

ellisdj's picture

Gel if you think its good now - wait until you see it calibrated mate -- its a completey different ball game - especially 3D!!!  I cant stress that enough, 3D out of the box is horrifically bad, but can be jaw dropping good.

Add the Marantz in there and you are talking mate Wink

Meridian 861 V4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST - GIK Acoustics

Monitor Audio PL100, GXC 150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA

Custom Audio PC LPSU + Batts, JPLAY, JCAT and PPA Studio

Panny 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, Graham Slee Cables, Isotek, XLO

BigH's picture

I went to buy a 651 at Richers at Watford, 1 was ex-display and came with nothing else and the other was a return, again with no remote etc, just the box, anyway neither would work, so I did not buy them. All the 651s are ex-demo/display or returns it seems now. WIth Blu-Ray audio coming out this could be a good player to buy the 751 is better if you don't already have an external DAC.

Red Dragon's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

Bought; though I couldn't get into the store and I'm away for the next few days. Delivery on Monday.

As the proud owner of the corres[onding CA AV Amp I would be very interested to hear what you think of your new purchase, especially for me as it would be used gor all it capable duties, CD< DVD & BR, please keep us posted and best of luck...

Pages