Have your say & ask the experts!

Yamaha rx-v673 won't power on

14 replies [Last post]
mikey2008's picture

I bought the above receiver last month and tried to turn it on this evening and the standby light just blinks a few times and doesn't power up. I've disconnected the speakers and tried it again but it does the same. I've read that this happens as the protection circuitry has been activated three times. I've tried to reset by pressing the 'straight' and the power button simultaneously, but still nothing happens. Do I need to return it or is there some other fix for it?

LEET1973's picture
RE: Yamaha rx-v673 won't power on

mikey2008 wrote:

I bought the above receiver last month and tried to turn it on this evening and the standby light just blinks a few times and doesn't power up. I've disconnected the speakers and tried it again but it does the same. I've read that this happens as the protection circuitry has been activated three times. I've tried to reset by pressing the 'straight' and the power button simultaneously, but still nothing happens. Do I need to return it or is there some other fix for it?

Advice here - see post 1011

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/1657054-yamaha-rx-v673-owners-thread-34.html

mikey2008's picture

Thanks for that leet1973. I'll give it a go, but it still sounds like something weird has happened for it to go into the protective mode.

LEET1973's picture

Yeah. Even if that gets your unit working again, you may want to investigate why it's gone into protection mode. With all the bad weather, have you had any power dips for instance?

mikey2008's picture

No power spikes that I'm aware of. I did try the reset which did come up with the service display, but like the other person on the AV forums site, the menus didn't mean much. I powered it off after accessing the service menu but it still won't switch on. 

LEET1973's picture

Tech support would be the next option, but given your amp is only a month old I would take it back to the retailer.

Just thought I would mention the fix posted in AV forums as I remembered reading it and thought it may help.

Good luck in sorting it out.

mikey2008's picture

Cheers.  I'll give Yamaha a call later and let you know how I get on.

mikey2008's picture

Update: Yamaha customer service is non-existent. I was told that 'the' i.e. singular engineer was away on paternity leave. This was after trying several times to get through on numerous numbers which went dead. Eventually, I got through to a nice lady on the switchboard who told me to ring E and M Electronics. Spoke to a chap who said the problem was pretty much a fault with the insides of the amp and it's being collected tomorrow. I'd just warn people that Yamaha UK are rubbish in terms of post-sales. I also emailed three days ago and it still hasn't been answered, presumably because the same chap is on paternity leave.

LEET1973's picture

If your amp is only a month old I would be taking it back to the retailer and not leaving till I had my money back or a new one. 

Def retailer in this case. However, in 'defence' of Yamaha, I registered my amp and having a problem Y phoned me from usa. Very helpful and gave me a contact email. It turned out to be my lack of knowledge but pleased with support.

Mordaunt Short Mezzo System C - 8,5,1,9.Yamaha V2065. SonyS570. Panasonic TX-P42G20B., Sky HD 1TB. Garrard 86SB. PF30. Wii. WDTV Live. Harmony One. STAX300. QED cabling. Galaxy Tab 10.1

System Photos - http://s1051.photobucket.com/user/robinkidderminster/library/?sort=3&page=1

Base trap Project -  http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/corner-base-trap-completed-project?page=1

mikey2008's picture

It's already gone back to the retailer - it was picked up by courier yesterday.

mikey2008's picture

Just a quick update: If you have this problem, your amps power board has a problem and an unspecified component needs replacing. I've been waiting over three weeks for the repair (probably going to rollover into a fourth). Is this normal? 

jase fox's picture

I've just had the same kinda problem with my Pioneer amp and i've only had it for 2 weeks!!!

There's no debate here with me it's going straight back to the shop especially after 2 weeks.

As the way I see it is that we've been sold a faulty product afterall, I bought my amp "new" from a retailer and not Cash converters where you would expect electronic equipment to mess up.

Panasonic TH-50PZ700B Plasma / Pioneer SC-LX56 Amplifier / Denon DBT-3313UD bluray player/ Panasonic DMR-EX769EB Recorder / B&W CDM CSE Centre / DM 602 S3 Fronts / DS6 Surrounds / VM1 Back channel / 2 x REL Q100E Subs / Arcam CD73 CD player / Sky HD / RA's Reference & Classic powerkords / Tacima cs 929 mains block / QED silver reference HDMI / QED Profile 12 Silver BI-Wire speaker cable

mikey2008's picture

Further update: 5 weeks now since I last saw my amp. Was supposed to be delivered today but wasn't. Was supposed to be delivered to a neighbour who kindly agreed to stay in all day and collect it as I couldn't take a day off work. Spoke to the retailer (ExceptionalAV) more than 24 hours ago who said that delivery would be today by courier. Phoned today to ask where it was and was told that the courier didn't turn up. At no point was I told between yesterday afternoon and today that the courier wasn't coming. I wouldn't have minded as much but the neighbour in question is married to a chap with a chronic lung problem who relies on an oxygen tank and his only time out of a week is Friday mornings. They agreed to stay in for the day to accommodate my request (with much guilt on my part) only for me to knock on their door with the horrible news that there was no delivery.  It would have been less infuriating had I taken a day off work myself...

mikey2008's picture

The problem was a bridge rectifier by the way.