Have your say & ask the experts!

Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

84 replies [Last post]
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4290
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

strapped for cash wrote:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

I have a similar problem Oldboy, they are whoppers aren't they?

I haven't actually put any deposit down, so you're more likely to get an amp than me. 

That's why I went for the smaller 810 in the end. I think Yamaha made the higher numbered Aventage receivers somewhat impractical for many, due to their large rear end.

Deals on last year's Aventage receivers seem extremely good now. If you can squeeze one in, it should be an absolute bargain.

I'm considering going for a 1010, and have seen it at a good price online, as there isn't a huge difference between the 1010 and 1020 spec wise.

I'm currently working with an electrician (an old school friend), who also installs av gear, and he's asking some of his contacts about deals on both models, so I may have some good news soon.

Hope that works out! Out of interest, what's the price difference between the 1010 and 1020? 

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

pioneer7's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 711
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

Hi oldboy

Not a problem, if you were to do any custom change then some finishing small amount of paint work would have to be done, and being black it should not be  massive problem, being only the edge would be visible, However I do undrestand that for some its easier to sugest than carry out.

Ok another option which can work very well, how much do you actually need to acomadate the back end of the amp, so for example would the rear feet of the amp over hang the shelf, or would the feet just catch the edge of the shelf, either way at a guess you are maybe looking at 2ins short, even if it is a little more, you can run a battern...and I mean a quality peice of wood or suitable material, not roofing battern...I am sure you know what I mean before any one jumps on me,Anyway you run this battern across the back of the shelf, which would then pick up the feet of the amp, weight would not be an issue, nor would it take much room up, especailly as most units are away from the wall, so this should over come that, as for fixing I do not no the design of your unit but if it is wooden construction then that is a good start, but only you know if this can be done. If you are not sure about what i have said just ask, but hopefully you get the idea, and remember it will not look rubbish if a little time is taken and the finish is good, fixing it is the easy bit its the finish that matters. Cool  

__________________

L-R Mordaunt Short Avant 153 in-walls. Avant 165 Centre in-wall.QED Cables. Pioneer surrounds Pioneer SC-2022 Receiver 

Panasonic 50-GT50.Plasma

My system http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/lounge-tart-uppt-1

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11799
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

Can you not allow the amp to overhang a bit at the back, as long as its 5 feet are within the cabinet?

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 2524
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

pioneer7 wrote:

Hi oldboy

Not a problem, if you were to do any custom change then some finishing small amount of paint work would have to be done, and being black it should not be  massive problem, being only the edge would be visible, However I do undrestand that for some its easier to sugest than carry out.

Ok another option which can work very well, how much do you actually need to acomadate the back end of the amp, so for example would the rear feet of the amp over hang the shelf, or would the feet just catch the edge of the shelf, either way at a guess you are maybe looking at 2ins short, even if it is a little more, you can run a battern...and I mean a quality peice of wood or suitable material, not roofing battern...I am sure you know what I mean before any one jumps on me,Anyway you run this battern across the back of the shelf, which would then pick up the feet of the amp, weight would not be an issue, nor would it take much room up, especailly as most units are away from the wall, so this should over come that, as for fixing I do not no the design of your unit but if it is wooden construction then that is a good start, but only you know if this can be done. If you are not sure about what i have said just ask, but hopefully you get the idea, and remember it will not look rubbish if a little time is taken and the finish is good, fixing it is the easy bit its the finish that matters. Cool  

Thanks again for your suggestion, again greatly appreciated, thank you.

As I said before the WHOLE shelf is visible as the unit is open in nature with no sides so the whole of any replaced shelf would have to be matched up for grain and paint finish making it VERY difficult to replace the whole shelf, it's a very big size too so a new unit would probably be cheaper.

I'm a painter and decorator by trade so I know exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to matching the paint finish up, incidentally earlier in this thread I left links that show exactly what my unit looks like so you can see for yourself the issues I face.

Now the baten idea is a very good one mate, very good indeed...although I would have to apply it to the front edge of the unit for it to be of any use as the cable management block is the issue at the rear which provides extra rigidity to the unit and moving that creates big issues with the other shelves. The front is the only option but it does seem a viable idea, all I need to do is see if I can match the paint finish of the unit which is something I am going to try to do through work...even if I can get very close I will be happy.

I'm pretty good with woodwork and DIY in general so I know what I'm doing in that regard so adding a batten to the front of the unit won't cause me much problem IF I even need to do it.

I may not have been clear before but my unit is deep enough and high enough to accomodate the receiver fully BUT when you add in the extra depth created by HDMI leads, mains lead, Banana plugs and  the Sub cable etc then the cable management block is going to be right in the way. I've basically got 3.3cm play at the back of the amp with which to make all my connections unless the feet on the amp are positioned slightly back from the front facia in which case I may get an additional centimetre or so play at the back which may just be enough.

I think the best way forward will be to line up the amp where I want it then use a hole cutter on my drill to cut holes in the cable management block at the back big enough to let the various connections go straight through it and if I offset the amp to the right hand side then I won't have to cut too many holes. That's IF it doesn't quite fit of course, if i'm still short on space then the batten at the front will be my next mod but i'm hoping it won't come to this but it is definately a brilliant plan B!

Very many thanks pioneer7 you have been extremely helpful, now I know all is not lost excellent!

__________________

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Samsung UE40F7000, Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Home Theatre System, X-Box 360.

Mobile Devices:

Google Nexus 5 Phone, Google Nexus 7 Tablet, Sony PS Vita.

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 2524
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

bigboss wrote:
Can you not allow the amp to overhang a bit at the back, as long as its 5 feet are within the cabinet?

No unfortunately bigboss the unit angles at the back on both sides for corner placement so one of the feet would not actually be on the unit at the back, another idea a friend of mine had was a woodern block placed underneath that particular foot on the amp to the same height as the unit...not entirely happy with that idea though as the unit is on spiked feet.

I would much rather have the receiver situated on the unit to get the extra performance offered by the Atacam unit but again it's another alternative but perhaps more of a temporary solution than a permanant one puzzled

__________________

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Samsung UE40F7000, Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Home Theatre System, X-Box 360.

Mobile Devices:

Google Nexus 5 Phone, Google Nexus 7 Tablet, Sony PS Vita.

pioneer7's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 711
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

Thats good news old-boy..hope it works out for, I am sure which ever yammy you go for you will be pleased with,and at least hopefully you have saved a few quid in having to buy a new unit. cool 

__________________

L-R Mordaunt Short Avant 153 in-walls. Avant 165 Centre in-wall.QED Cables. Pioneer surrounds Pioneer SC-2022 Receiver 

Panasonic 50-GT50.Plasma

My system http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/lounge-tart-uppt-1

 

robjcooper's picture
Offline
Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 509
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

Oldboy wrote:

bigboss wrote:
Can you not allow the amp to overhang a bit at the back, as long as its 5 feet are within the cabinet?

No unfortunately bigboss the unit angles at the back on both sides for corner placement so one of the feet would not actually be on the unit at the back, another idea a friend of mine had was a woodern block placed underneath that particular foot on the amp to the same height as the unit...not entirely happy with that idea though as the unit is on spiked feet.

I would much rather have the receiver situated on the unit to get the extra performance offered by the Atacam unit but again it's another alternative but perhaps more of a temporary solution than a permanant one puzzled

 

Hi Oldboy,

Not sure if anyone else has suggested this, but would it be possible to get say a 3cm deep piece of timber fitted to the front of both shelves in a complimentary tone (something light like ash or perhaps oak). Perhaps there's a carpenter or a local woodworker who could fit it - good long dowel joints or biscuits and glue) and have the edges nicely chamfered. You wouldn't have to worry about matching paint and it would give the atacama a style unique to you.

Good luck - am very envious of those yammys!

Rob

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 2524
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

pioneer7 wrote:

Thats good news old-boy..hope it works out for, I am sure which ever yammy you go for you will be pleased with,and at least hopefully you have saved a few quid in having to buy a new unit. cool 

I have gone for the RX-A2020 and all measurements are based on this amp. Just hope I finally get one soon as come the weekend I would have been waiting a month to get one, my mate is buying my Onkyo 609 and is getting impatient now...can't say I blame him.

Certainly glad it looks like I won't have to buy a new unit, will let you know what mods if any I carry out to the rack when the amp arrives, thanks again for all your help, really appreciated.

__________________

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Samsung UE40F7000, Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Home Theatre System, X-Box 360.

Mobile Devices:

Google Nexus 5 Phone, Google Nexus 7 Tablet, Sony PS Vita.

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 2524
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

robjcooper wrote:

Hi Oldboy,

Not sure if anyone else has suggested this, but would it be possible to get say a 3cm deep piece of timber fitted to the front of both shelves in a complimentary tone (something light like ash or perhaps oak). Perhaps there's a carpenter or a local woodworker who could fit it - good long dowel joints or biscuits and glue) and have the edges nicely chamfered. You wouldn't have to worry about matching paint and it would give the atacama a style unique to you.

Good luck - am very envious of those yammys!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Funnily enough this was suggested yesterday by pioneer7 but he was suggesting the back of the shelf , I was of the opinion that the front was the only option. I'm fully prepared to look into this as an option if the amp doesn't fit and have looked at mybuilder.com for a good local carpenter but I need to see how it fits into the unit before I take any action as it may well be that with a few holes cut out of the back that it fits nicely.

If I could get a peice of 3-5cm of black ash added to the front that would definately do the job and provide enough space to get the amp in so it's my plan B option but until the amp finally arrives it's all just speculation and guess work.....to be continued.

__________________

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Samsung UE40F7000, Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Home Theatre System, X-Box 360.

Mobile Devices:

Google Nexus 5 Phone, Google Nexus 7 Tablet, Sony PS Vita.

Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Posts: 4712
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

My link to the deal for the 1020 still says out of stock, have you had any news Oldboy?

__________________

LOUNGE:  Panasonic TX-P50GT50 (is poorly) / Panasonic DMP-BDT120 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Dali Zensor 3 (front) / Dali Zensor Vokal (centre) / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition (rear) / Q Acoustics1000Si (sub) / Roksan Radius 5.2 / Ortofon Super OM20 Cartridge / Sky HD / WD My Book Live 2TB / Seagate Expansion 2TB / Nintendo Wii / Tacima CS-929 

BEDROOM:  Samsung LE32C450 / Sony BDP-S360 / Echostar HDS-600RS / Netgear WNCE2001

Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 4290
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

Oldboy wrote:

If I could get a peice of 3-5cm of black ash added to the front that would definately do the job and provide enough space to get the amp in so it's my plan B option but until the amp finally arrives it's all just speculation and guess work.....to be continued.

There's a broader question of whether minor furniture rearrangement is needed.

I also got the tape measure out when looking at receivers a while back. The 1020 would fit in my cabinet, which is open backed. However, there would have been an overhang, especially with cabling, that meant my AV cabinet would need to move forward, leaving an unsightly gap between cabinet and wall. In the end it was too much of a compromise and I went with the cheaper (and smaller) 810. I still consider this a steal at the price.

__________________

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

Joined: 27 May 2009
Posts: 2360
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

If height is tight suggest QuietPC for small fans. I use 2 which are quieter than my SkyHD box and keep things really cool. Just an additional thought.

__________________

Mordaunt Short Mezzo System C - 8,5,1,9.Yamaha V2065. SonyS570. Panasonic TX-P42G20B., Sky HD 1TB. Garrard 86SB. PF30. Wii. WDTV Live. Harmony One. STAX300. QED cabling. Galaxy Tab 10.1

System Photos - http://s1051.photobucket.com/user/robinkidderminster/library/?sort=3&page=1

 Base trap Project -  http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/corner-base-trap-completed-project?page=1

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 2524
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

My link to the deal for the 1020 still says out of stock, have you had any news Oldboy?

Yes I have had a discussion with Creative Audio over the bank holiday weekend and was told the issue is with Yamaha  under estimating demand for the receivers and are struglling to stock retailers, I was told stock was expected mid to end of this week and as it's friday today obviously this hasn't happened so I'm left wondering for another week what is going on.

When I decided to go with the 2020 last week and swapped over my deposit from the 1020 I was told stock was expected that week....two weeks on and still no sign of any light at the tunnel. I was told at that time that it was far more likely that 2020 stock would arrive before any 1020 which was a contributing factor in my decision to upgrade (but not the main one) but I've been left waiting two weeks now with no sign and no communication from Creative Audio unless I instigate it.

By tomorrow I would have had a £50 deposit sitting with Creative Audio for a month and have nothing to show for it and I'm now of the opinion that it's looking increasingly unlikely I will get a  2020 or even a 1020 from them any time soon and that they are unable to supply one at the price stated. I feel inceasingly frustrated and annoyed that I am told stock is due only to get a deafening silence from them as the weeks tick by, their excuse holds little weight when both receivers are freely available from other retailers which only adds to my frustration.

They were so good when I bought my speaker package but this time they have been terrible and I'm not happy.

__________________

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Samsung UE40F7000, Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Home Theatre System, X-Box 360.

Mobile Devices:

Google Nexus 5 Phone, Google Nexus 7 Tablet, Sony PS Vita.

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Posts: 2524
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

RobinKidderminster wrote:
If height is tight suggest QuietPC for small fans. I use 2 which are quieter than my SkyHD box and keep things really cool. Just an additional thought.

Thank you for the suggestion...could you give me more info about the fans you use please, perhaps a link? Thanks.

__________________

Living Room:

Samsung UE55F8000 (THX Pro calibrated), Yamaha RX-A2020, Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence config), Panasonic DMP-BDT500MR, WD TV Live, Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6004, Beresford TC-7220 MKII, PS3, QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable, Wireworld Chroma 7 HDMIs, Chord Crimson Sub and RCA, Chord Superscreen Mains Cable, Netgear Prosafe 8 port Gigabit switch.

Bedroom:

Samsung UE40F7000, Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Home Theatre System, X-Box 360.

Mobile Devices:

Google Nexus 5 Phone, Google Nexus 7 Tablet, Sony PS Vita.

pioneer7's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 711
RE: Yamaha RX-A1020 stock issues

Sorry oldboy about your frustration..but you know what you are not tied to any one dealer take your money else where, it maybe that yamaha are the problem and the dealer you are with now can not do any more to reasure you, I suppose there is only so much contact can be made, however it is in there interest to sort something out, but there are other dealers that will also help you, AND have them stocked I understand you would like to keep with some one you have dealt with in the past, but I am sure there are many more dealers as well. Go else where buy your amp and enjoy, your the customer. Cool

__________________

L-R Mordaunt Short Avant 153 in-walls. Avant 165 Centre in-wall.QED Cables. Pioneer surrounds Pioneer SC-2022 Receiver 

Panasonic 50-GT50.Plasma

My system http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/lounge-tart-uppt-1