28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Andrew Everard's picture
RE: FYIAs a test I replaced the

bonjov wrote:
As for passing my email onto Onkyo - yes please (thanks Andrew)

Done

wtaylorbasil's picture
RE: TX-NR709 - Poor stereo sound quality

Hi Andrew,

Would you please pass on my email to Onkyo as you have for bonjov as you would have greater credibility to ask the question.

I have TX-NR609 and it does not play 192Khz/24 bit eithe fed via USB input or DLNA.

Is it not capable of playing that resolution or is there another reason.

I hope bonjov will share the info with us.

Regards

William

Andrew Everard's picture

wtaylorbasil wrote:
Would you please pass on my email to Onkyo as you have for bonjov...

Done, but from the manual the answer is that the 609 'only' supports files at up to 96kHz. See page 77.

EDIT It will however play two-channel and multichannel LPCM 192kHz/24-bit signals (up to 7.1 channels) when they're delivered via HDMI.

wtaylorbasil's picture

Thank you Andrew

William

Oldboy's picture

bonjov,

To select between large speakers (full band) and small speakers (with crossover) on your Onkyo 709 do this:

In the menu go to 2. Speaker Setup then select 2. Speaker Configuration from the sub menu, here you will see from top to bottom Subwoofer, Front, Center, Surround. Select Front and scroll left until the Hz setting goes to Full Band. You have now selected the option for Full band to just the front speakers but it is advisable to only use this for floorstander speakers that can cope with the full range.

By all means give it a go and see if it helps your stereo sound issue though, oh and by the way I own the 609 and the menus are identical so I know this is how you select between large and small speakers. When on the Speaker Configuration menu the text at the bottom shows the following "For tower speakers, set to Full-Band. For small speaker, set crossover depend on size of the speaker"

Hope that clears that up.

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

wtaylorbasil's picture

[quote=Oldboy]

>>Select Front and scroll left until the Hz setting goes to Full Band.<<

[quote] On my post #13, I failed to specifically mention to set the Front speakers to Full band as I always keep my floor standing speakers at Full band. Good point.

Oldboy's picture

wtaylorbasil]</p> <p>[quote=Oldboy]</p> <p>&nbsp;&gt;&gt;Select Front and scroll left until the Hz setting goes to Full Band.&lt;&lt;</p> <p>[quote wrote:
On my post #13, I failed to specifically mention to set the Front speakers to Full band as I always keep my floor standing speakers at Full band. Good point.

I did read your post and indeed the whole thread but thought it was worthwhile setting it out in laymans terms as the OP seemed to be struggling to find the option to change to full band speaker settings.

Agreed RE keeping floorstanders at full band, my Dali Zensor 5 fronts definately sound better when set up this way and with surround sound it really helps create a wide and spacious surround field, I only use stereo for tv viewing now as I have a stereo amp and CD player integrated into my setup for music with a Beresford TC-7220 MKII switcher to switch between amps and speakers.

I certainly wouldn't describe the stereo sound from my 609 as terrible and even from memory when I was forced to use the amp for music it was never awful but obviously bettered by even a modest stereo amp like my Marantz PM6004.

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

nedalex2405's picture

Hi Bonjov, couldn't bear any more, so here it is:

1. Make sure your connections are secure, not hanging lose on the AVR and speakers

2. Oldboy is right and David wrong. For large/full band, Settings > 2. Speaker Configuration, change to full band

3. For stereo listening, disable Audessey equaliser. Change to manual equaliser (you'll have to customise this. Get a template from iTunes or any other good sources)

4. Disable Dynamic Volume and Dynamic Equaliser (Settings > 4. )

5. Disable THX settings (Settings > 6. )

6. Disable BGC (Settings > 6. )

7. Disengage analogue subwoofer (Settings > 3. Audio ... > )

I use the TX-NR1007, so I believe the setting menu is almost the same. The manual equaliser makes a lot of difference. Let me know how it goes.

wtaylorbasil's picture

oldboy,

I like the good attitude of the Forum members-always trying to help the best way possible, without preaching.

I too have a  Beresford TC-7220 on my setup to switch between TX-NR609 Receiver and Pioneer SA9100- 2ch amplifier. Unfortunately the two are separated about 10 feet from one another as one stereo rack would have been too high-wife did not like it as it is the sitting room. I do not know to insert pics here so I have given the link to another Forum where you can see my hook-up and understand what I mean. So my left side is my Digital setup and Analogue setup on the right. I can dream of a dedicated "Listening" room!! 

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=6679083#post6679083 

Regards

bonjov's picture

Thanks for all the replies.

Ive finally got it working.

Thanks to wtaylorbasil, oldboy, nedalex2405 etc - it was the full band setting - user error on my behalf

Also thanks to Andrew for getting in touch with Onkyo.

Regards

Mick

wtaylorbasil's picture

Mick,

Great to hear you have sorted your Receiver. Happy listening- for hours!

By the way can anyone sdvise me how to download pics to these posts?

Thanks

wtaylorbasil's picture
TX-NR709-Poor Stereo sound quality

Andrew Everad Commented.
>>EDIT It will however play two-channel and multichannel LPCM 192kHz/24-bit signals (up to 7.1 channels) when they're delivered via HDMI.<<

I have my FLAC 44.1/16 and 192/24 music files on my Laptop HD. I have now connected my laptop to LG TV with HDMI 1.4. TV is connected to TX-NR609 with HDMI 1.4.
As you commented, 192/24 tracks play and sound good to me.
I made a comparison of 44.1/16 played via this HDMI and also via DLNA and they "seem" to sound the same in SQ to me.
Technically, should there be greater loss of any SQ via this HDMI as it is going through the laptop electronics or loss is greater via wireless/homeplug DLNA playback?
If laptop is connected direct to TX-NR609 via this HDMI, will the SQ be any superior?
Andy, your comment will be very much appreciated.

William

Pages