11 posts / 0 new
Last post
psurquhart's picture
Sony's new STR-DA5800ES
English

Andy Clough Tue, 26 Feb 2013, 4:48pm

When I spoke to Eric at the show he said the '5800ES was going into stores any day now, so we hope to have a review sample soon(ish).

Any update please Andy ???? It has gone very quiet.

psurquhart's picture
RE: Sony's new STR-DA5800ES

Very, very quiet ?

Anyone ???

psurquhart's picture

See - dare I say it - "Home Cinema" have beaten you guys to it and given this amp a really positive review.

Any news on when you are going to get a sample to put it through it's paces please ? One of you guys must have read this thread surely ?

This amp, along with the incoming Arcam's really interest me - would be great to read your opinion's.

psurquhart's picture

Am I the only one with any interest in this amp ?

Would be nice to see someone else generate some interest in this thread ? I have read some interesting reviews, some love it, some don't. No one stocks it in my area for a demo.

bigboss's picture

psurquhart wrote:

Would be nice to see someone else generate some interest in this thread ? I have read some interesting reviews, some love it, some don't. No one stocks it in my area for a demo.

:grin:

Another review here:

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Sony-STR-DA5800ES-AV-Receiver-Review_557/Review.html

psurquhart's picture

bigboss wrote:

psurquhart wrote:

:grin:

Another review here:

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Sony-STR-DA5800ES-AV-Receiver-Review_557/Review.html

Cheers bb

This amp is looking pretty tasty by all accounts so far - only seen one not so favourable review on an American website. Just so hard to find anyone to stock it for a demo.

I have the 5400es from a few years back which I love - this looks identical to mine just a bit bigger, funny how the design hasn't changed over the years.

themovierooms's picture

Looks like we might be getting our hands on one at some point. The top end Sony's were always good in the past from my experience so I suspect this will be no different.

psurquhart's picture

themovierooms wrote:

Looks like we might be getting our hands on one at some point. The top end Sony's were always good in the past from my experience so I suspect this will be no different.

It's a shame that we are different ends of Great Britain !!! I am in Kent.

If you do get one perhaps you could give some feedback via this thread.

themovierooms's picture

psurquhart wrote:

themovierooms wrote:

It's a shame that we are different ends of Great Britain !!! I am in Kent.

If you do get one perhaps you could give some feedback via this thread.

Will do. I suspect it will arrive with the 4K TV. I tend to take new amplifiers home and run them for a couple of weeks to really get into what they are all about so if it pans out I’ll give you a shout back with a mini review.

psurquhart's picture

To the team at What Hi Fi.

Back in February, Andy said that a review sample was coming your way but it is now nearly September and still no review. I we going to ever get one ?

Would be interested to read one or possibly get an update please. 

maverikk's picture

Hey there,

was bored andooking at the threads here.

i can confirm that I bought one of these amps direct from Sony...only £900!

my company gets a special discount at the online store Wink

i previously had a Yamaha RX V667 - good performance especially considering the price andoaded with astonishingly good feature set.

I then 'upgraded' to a Yamaha RX V1067 - I have to say I was underwhelmed by the jump in power and composure. The sound was too polite for my liking as I prefer a more up front and transparent presentation.

The Sony 5800ES is a revelation. Some reviewers complained about set-up being complicated but it's the same as other AV receivers in my opinion. You as the user have to decide what you want to connect and how and then connect the system. Sound quality is epic. Really controlled and very upfront and revelling. Makes my MA RX speakers really sing and sound very musical with my Cyrus Streamer/DAC with Marantz UD7007 as source (upgraded from Sony S790 which is great for the money but sound isn't the best and Cyrus CD6SE2 which again was too warm sounding for me). Happy and impressed with my set-up and wholly recommend the amp!