58 posts / 0 new
Last post
AndrewFG's picture
Sony DA2400ES 3d capable??

I just purchased a Sony 46HX850 TV and am investigating what other equipment has to be replaced to enable playing 3d blu-ray discs. I know I have to replace my Blu-Ray Player (subject of another post elsewhere), but I also have a Sony DA2400ES receiver that I am very happy with.

Currently I have the existing (2d blu-ray player) feeding HDMI to an input on the DA2400ES, and the 46HX850 connected to the main HDMI output of DA2400ES (as you would expect).

So I have three questions:

1) Does the DA2400ES support a 3d HDMI feed through; i.e. wired exactly as my current 2d setup?
2) Is there an alternative way of wiring the Tv, the Blu-Ray player, and the DA2400ES so that the former two are connected directly for the video, and the latter two for the audio?
3) If "no" to both of the above, then what do you reccommend as a receiver that equals or exceeds the DA2400ES?

robjcooper's picture
RE: Sony DA2400ES 3d capable??

Hi Andrew,

I too have the 2400 and am very pleased with it. In answer to 2 of your questions:

1: Unfortunately it doesn't support 3D so you wont be able to just plug a 3D blu-ray into it where your current one is.

2: What I do when I want to watch some 3D is as follows. Direct HDMI connection from Sony Blu Ray to Samsung TV. I already have an optical cable which sends the audio from the TV back to the 2400, so I just select the optical TV input on the amp. The disadvantage is that you cannot get either Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master audio as optical digital doesn't support it. 

Hope that's of some help

Rob

bigboss's picture

If you get a blu ray player with twin HDMI outs, like Sony S790, Panasonic BDT500 etc., you can use your existing AV receiver for audio & send 3D images directly to TV.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture

Alternatively, if you buy a blu ray player with twin hdmi outputs, you can send one to the amp, and one direct to the tv, and will get a 3D picture with HD sound. This will save a lot of money, and the end result will be the same.

Among the Blu Ray players that have twin hdmi outputs are the Sony BDP-S790, and the Pioneer BDP-450.

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

Too slow, BB beat me to it.  :)

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

AndrewFG's picture

robjcooper wrote:
The disadvantage is that you cannot get either Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master audio as optical digital doesn't support it.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

I checked the 46HX850 Tv's setup options for the digital optical audio output, and it offers two settings namely "Auto" and "PCM for receivers that don't support Dolby". So this seems to imply that on Auto, if fed a Dolby surround signal via its HDMI inputs, it would then pass the same signal out via its digital optical output. So the question is now whether the DA2400ES could handle such an "Auto" signal coming in over the digital optical input?

bigboss's picture

Bear in mind you cannot get HD sound formats that way. The only way is by the method I have explained above (& BBB)

AndrewFG's picture

bigboss wrote:
Bear in mind you cannot get HD sound formats that way.

If what you say is true, then I don't understand why the TV would be offerring the two options "PCM" vs. "Auto" -- since (obviously) the PCM must be the old regular 2-channel audio, and therefore I assume that the "Auto" must be something more; i.e. with multi channels etc. Or ??

Andrew Everard's picture

AndrewFG wrote:
If what you say is true, then I don't understand why the TV would be offerring the two options "PCM" vs. "Auto" -- since (obviously) the PCM must be the old regular 2-channel audio, and therefore I assume that the "Auto" must be something more; i.e. with multi channels etc. Or ??

Multichannel yes; HD multichannel (ie Dolby HD/DTS-HD) no. If you connect a BD player direct to the TV, it will 'downshift' the audio to the format the TV can accept.

As you're going to buy a 3D blu ray player anyway, if you buy one of the ones suggested by myself and BB, you'll have the result you want, 3D picture, and full HD sound, and all for around £200.

If you buy a new amp and blu ray player, it'll cost you lots more, but the result will be the same.

It's up to you, but I'm about to be in the same position as you, and I'll be buying a twin hdmi blu ray player.

strapped for cash's picture

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

It's up to you, but I'm about to be in the same position as you, and I'll be buying a twin hdmi blu ray player.

So you'll be offloading the free Panasonic BDP? 

I'll be experimenting. If PCM via optical sounds reasonable (it certainly won't sound bad), I'll keep the Panasonic for 3D and use my Denon BDP for all other Blu-ray duties.

The budget Panasonic is reportedly an excellent 3D Blu-ray player and upscales DVDs in fine style, too. You'll still have two Blu-ray players that'll give you lossless audio with 2D Blu-ray discs. And if you're only going to watch the occasional 3D film, you'll be saving yourself hassle and money.

Maybe I'm just a cheapskate!

strapped for cash wrote:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

So you'll be offloading the free Panasonic BDP? 

I'll be experimenting. If PCM via optical sounds reasonable (it certainly won't sound bad), I'll keep the Panasonic for 3D and use my Denon BDP for all other Blu-ray duties.

The budget Panasonic is reportedly an excellent 3D Blu-ray player and upscales DVDs in fine style, too. You'll still have two Blu-ray players that'll give you lossless audio with 2D Blu-ray discs. And if you're only going to watch the occasional 3D film, you'll be saving yourself hassle and money.

Maybe I'm just a cheapskate!

:silenced:     :grin:

bigboss's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

If PCM via optical sounds reasonable (it certainly won't sound bad), I'll keep the Panasonic for 3D and use my Denon BDP for all other Blu-ray duties.

You'll always have the feeling on the back of your mind that you're not getting HD sound with 3D films.  Wink

strapped for cash's picture

BBB, no offence taken. My forum name says it all really!

BB, since 3D films will comprise less than 1 percent of my viewing, I'll settle for PCM and the limits of digital optical. If I get a taste for the third dimension, I can always get the wallet out later!

strapped for cash wrote:

BBB, no offence taken. My forum name says it all really!

BB, since 3D films will comprise less than 1 percent of my viewing, I'll settle for PCM and the limits of digital optical. If I get a taste for the third dimension, I can always get the wallet out later!

No offence intended, I could be SFC2.  :)

I'm no 3D fan either, but I thought it would make sense to get a dual hdmi BDP now before they become extinct, and I have to spend loads more on a compatable AV Receiver.

I know I'm getting a free 3D player with my tv, but if I sold it and my BDP-320, the net cost wouldn't be very high at all. It's not a 100% decision though, I'm notoriously indecisive.

bigboss's picture

You have an opportunity to sell the free player brand new & put the funds in a player with twin hdmi.

Pages