182 posts / 0 new
Last post
RobinKidderminster's picture
RE: My Yamaha RX-A2020 review

bigboss wrote:

RobinKidderminster wrote:
When u are bored with yr system in a few years maybe then check my sig for bass traps. Otherwise just enjoy :)

The link in your signature is broken.

Links sorted I think. Hope the bass trap may help OB/OP? DSP modes? As few as possible I've always found best.

Cheers

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

expat_mike's picture

Oldboy,

I thought that Logitech said that they were stopping production of the Harmony Touch universal remote, a few months ago.

If so, you had better buy one whilst they are still in stock.

+1. The Harmony One is a fabulous device. Not sure about the touch. Solid buttons seem much better option

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

Oldboy's picture

GSB wrote:

So what's your fav dsp mode for hd viewing the Oldboy? Smile

Well so far I'm favouring sci-fi and adventure as they sound natural and balanced with plenty of punch but I fully intend to keep experimenting with them all. I tried the straight setting last night but found it a bit less engrossing mainly due to the 3D cinema being switched off in this setting, it really makes a difference to the sound with this on.

I presume the straight setting is essentially the amp just pumping out the DTS HD Master Audio track untouched with no processing? It's not as straight forward as my old Onkyo as the Yamaha doesn't even show if a Master Audio track is being received on the front display, it wasn't until I pressed the diplay button on the remote that I even knew it was being received as it's then shown on screen :oops:

I'm still unsure of what everything does so I'm still a bit confused when it comes to DSPs etc but I will get used to it soon enough and have a better understanding of what I like and don't like, until then it's a learning curve but that's part of the fun.

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Oldboy's picture

expat_mike wrote:

Oldboy,

I thought that Logitech said that they were stopping production of the Harmony Touch universal remote, a few months ago.

Indeed they did...then announced new models! Cue further confusion but from what I have read it would seem these remotes were already in the pipeline before they announced they were backing out of remote production, it's been rumoured that a buyer may step in and continue with the Harmony remotes but no word on that as of yet, could just be the internet rumour mill in over drive.

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Oldboy's picture

+1. The Harmony One is a fabulous device. Not sure about the touch. Solid buttons seem much better option

I've tried to buy a Harmony One a few times now Robin but they are hard to find and expensive when you do find them, I'm reticent to buy one from flea bay as I would much rather have a new one than one that has been used as you never know how many times it's been dropped or had drinks spilled on it etc.

If I could find a Harmony One for the same sort of money as the touch then I would get one, the touch is available for about £120 at the moment  so I will keep looking.

Dont know yr 2020 but I would be amazwd if the DTS Master wasnt shown on the front panel. Check yr manual/settings. The difference between DD and HD audio should be massive. Good luck. Great fun these new amps eh?!

GSB's picture

Oldboy wrote:

GSB wrote:

So what's your fav dsp mode for hd viewing the Oldboy? Smile

Well so far I'm favouring sci-fi and adventure as they sound natural and balanced with plenty of punch but I fully intend to keep experimenting with them all. I tried the straight setting last night but found it a bit less engrossing mainly due to the 3D cinema being switched off in this setting, it really makes a difference to the sound with this on.Iv'e experimented and find the sci-fi to be the best(if you look up whfi review of my avr,there's abit of info)Love the music video setting,great for the likes of Jools Holland,the voice etc.Then there's the music dsp...'.the bottom line' is cool.

I presume the straight setting is essentially the amp just pumping out the DTS HD Master Audio track untouched with no processing? It's not as straight forward as my old Onkyo as the Yamaha doesn't even show if a Master Audio track is being received on the front display, it wasn't until I pressed the diplay button on the remote that I even knew it was being received as it's then shown on screen :oops:Yes,the straight setting is used for an DTS Master Audio/Dolby True HD sountrack,it basicaly switches the dsp off.Mine shows on the front screen what imput is selected,ie;sky,then underneath if it's Dolby Digital or HD Master etc,so don't understand why yours doesnt :?

I'm still unsure of what everything does so I'm still a bit confused when it comes to DSPs etc but I will get used to it soon enough and have a better understanding of what I like and don't like, until then it's a learning curve but that's part of the fun.Something that is of great use is the scene buttons... you just need a little timeto get your head 'round it as you say :grin:

Oldboy's picture

Thanks GSB I will look up the 1010 review after I've written this for some more info.

When I use the straight setting all I get on the display of the 2020 is AV1 and under that Straight, having just looked at the manual (I hate that it comes on a disc with no paper copy!) more closely you just press the info button to change what is being displayed on the front panel and hey presto the Yamaha now shows the sound mode.

Currently got Snow White and the Huntsman on as I write this and it displays DTS HD Master under the input now, one problem solved :grin:

Oldboy's picture

Dont know yr 2020 but I would be amazwd if the DTS Master wasnt shown on the front panel. Check yr manual/settings. The difference between DD and HD audio should be massive. Good luck. Great fun these new amps eh?!

Just a button press on the remote needed to change what the display shows, all sorted now. The amp was always pumping out the HD track as opposed to basic DD it was just that the only way to know this was to press the display button on the remote so you could see on screen what the amp was recieving and outputing.

Being at home with a new toy to play with is always great fun...and confusing but i'm sure I will get there eventually Smile

GSB's picture

I agree about the cd-rom.....when i got my 1010 home i realised that i then had to go out and buy a new bloody lap-top just to read the pig'n instructions :wall:

Oldboy's picture

GSB wrote:

I agree about the cd-rom.....when i got my 1010 home i realised that i then had to go out and buy a new bloody lap-top just to read the pig'n instructions :wall:

What a pain in the rear...bet that was nice having to spend another good few hundred quid just to read the instructions, nice!

It's a real pain with them being on disc as I have to have the laptop on just to go through the instructions so it's not as easy to have a good read through, being a typical man alot of my reading is done in the loo lol. I'm tempted to print the entire manual off but with printer ink being more expensive than gold these days that won't be cheap so may leave it on the laptop.

GSB's picture

To be fair their are only a few pages you may want to refere back too...imputs that sort of thing...alot of my settings were achieved by just playing with the avr,for instance naming imputs.

If you havn't figured out the scene buttons yet try this:For instance when you are watching tv press and hold scene button2(on remote)...scene set will then appear on your tv.Then turn the avr off,now just press button 2 to turn your avr on,and the tv imput is selected automaticaly...same goes for any other imput...i have blu-ray/sky tv/105 analogue cd/ps3 Smile

bigboss's picture

expat_mike wrote:

Oldboy,

Logitech have said that it's business as usual until a buyer is found. At no stage will they stop production otherwise.

bigboss's picture

Oldboy wrote:

I've tried to buy a Harmony One a few times now Robin but they are hard to find and expensive when you do find them, I'm reticent to buy one from flea bay as I would much rather have a new one than one that has been used as you never know how many times it's been dropped or had drinks spilled on it etc.

If I could find a Harmony One for the same sort of money as the touch then I would get one, the touch is available for about £120 at the moment  so I will keep looking.

Keep an eye here as well. Sometimes you do get some brilliant deals.

Pages