182 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oldboy's picture
RE: My Yamaha RX-A2020 review

RobinKidderminster wrote:
Plenty of room around the spks. Guess it sounds excellent. Mine are a tad tight really. How wide is the room? Setee against back wall? Just damned nosey really. Pics good to paint .... Cheers

Yep does sound lovely I have to admit and after a little run in it's just getting better. 

I don't mind you being nosey, room is almost square at 4.5 x 4 metres with sofa almost in the middle of the room to give me the best trade off of sound quality vs screen distance, a 55inch TV would hit the sweet spot nicely though as the sofa is a little too far away for the ideal viewing distance.

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

Oldboy's picture

dukeden wrote:

Thats quite interesting that the deli's recommend not toeing in, good that you tried them either way. Have you tried playing music through the 2020?

Yes it is a little strange that Dali say that but they are quite adamant that they should be set out like that, when I spoke to them about it I was told they were designed to have a very wide dispersal of sound making toe in redundant.

I've just tried some stereo music, first through the blu ray deck which sounded quite nice...nowhere near my stereo set up but no disaster. With my Marantz CD6003 hooked up via my Chord Crimson interconnects it's a vast improvement over the blu ray deck and actually very listenable with pure mode selected, I'm impressed! 

Timing is good, stereo imaging wide and open and it's never flustered by complex recordings. It's not as warm as my Marantz pairing though and they still win out over the 2020 but it's far closer than I ever expected for sure. The 2020 is not disgraced in any way but it can't quite invite you in like a dedicated stereo system can but across the frequency range it's articulate, detailed and punchy.

All in all I'm suitably impressed, it's very musical for a receiver. Could I live with it for music??? Tough question but if I didn't have the benefit of comparing the two I think I would happily use it for stereo music but at the end of the day there is something more cohesive and rounded about my stereo set up that's just more musical and enjoyable and I won't be parting with it as it's definitely superior across the board.

I just didn't expect the 2020 to put such a good fight up...it took me by surprise that's for certain.

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

RobinKidderminster's picture

Ideal room layout. U could try bass traps but alllooks great

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

Oldboy's picture

Plenty of room around the spks. Guess it sounds excellent. Mine are a tad tight really. How wide is the room? Setee against back wall? Just damned nosey really. Pics good to paint .... Cheers

Just noticed too that yr Dalis have metal cones as do my MS's. No idea if thats relevant to any useful discussion/consideration but its Sunday and I'm just chillin with a Birthday present WDTVLive. Seems a solid little toy.

I don't know how relevant the metal cones are tbh but I've tried just a little toe in this time and it still sounds better with them facing forward.

I've got a WD TV live and I really like it, I stream everything from my NAS drive with it and it was money well spent...it's a great little device. Good purchase  :clap:

Oldboy's picture

Ideal room layout. U could try bass traps but alllooks great

Bass traps? Now that's something new to me...not sure exactly what these are  :?

When u are bored with yr system in a few years maybe then check my sig for bass traps. Otherwise just enjoy Smile

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

bigboss's picture

When u are bored with yr system in a few years maybe then check my sig for bass traps. Otherwise just enjoy :)

The link in your signature is broken.

Pistol Pete1's picture

Oldboy wrote:

bigboss wrote:

You need a bigger TV oldboy...at least 55 inches!  Wink

I'm of exactly the same opinion bigboss and towards the end of the year I intend to add a nice shiny new 55 inch TV if funds allow  :grin:

Happy to take your old one off you at that stage???!!! £200 ok?  Wink

AV: Panasonic TX-P50X60 : Pioneer SC-2023 : Panasonic DMP-BDT320 : Humax HDR FOX T2 : Marantz PM6004 (front speakers) : X Box kinect : KEF Q100/Q200C/3001SE : AE Radiance sub 

STEREO: Marantz CD63 MK II KI : Marantz PM6004 : KEF Q100

Pistol Pete1's picture

Oldboy wrote:

dukeden wrote:

Thats quite interesting that the deli's recommend not toeing in, good that you tried them either way. Have you tried playing music through the 2020?

Yes it is a little strange that Dali say that but they are quite adamant that they should be set out like that, when I spoke to them about it I was told they were designed to have a very wide dispersal of sound making toe in redundant.

I've just tried some stereo music, first through the blu ray deck which sounded quite nice...nowhere near my stereo set up but no disaster. With my Marantz CD6003 hooked up via my Chord Crimson interconnects it's a vast improvement over the blu ray deck and actually very listenable with pure mode selected, I'm impressed! 

Timing is good, stereo imaging wide and open and it's never flustered by complex recordings. It's not as warm as my Marantz pairing though and they still win out over the 2020 but it's far closer than I ever expected for sure. The 2020 is not disgraced in any way but it can't quite invite you in like a dedicated stereo system can but across the frequency range it's articulate, detailed and punchy.

All in all I'm suitably impressed, it's very musical for a receiver. Could I live with it for music??? Tough question but if I didn't have the benefit of comparing the two I think I would happily use it for stereo music but at the end of the day there is something more cohesive and rounded about my stereo set up that's just more musical and enjoyable and I won't be parting with it as it's definitely superior across the board.

I just didn't expect the 2020 to put such a good fight up...it took me by surprise that's for certain.

Seems like I would have to spend a lot of money on an av receiver to equal my Marantz PM6004 for 2 channel stereo then?

AV: Panasonic TX-P50X60 : Pioneer SC-2023 : Panasonic DMP-BDT320 : Humax HDR FOX T2 : Marantz PM6004 (front speakers) : X Box kinect : KEF Q100/Q200C/3001SE : AE Radiance sub 

STEREO: Marantz CD63 MK II KI : Marantz PM6004 : KEF Q100

bigboss wrote:

When u are bored with yr system in a few years maybe then check my sig for bass traps. Otherwise just enjoy :)

The link in your signature is broken.

Woops :oops:

BenLaw's picture

Oldboy wrote:

So here we have my first pic Ben, more to follow if this one uploads ok.

Fantastic pics and system, nice one and congrats Oldboy  Smile The yamaha looks great head on, it's only from the side you realise what a beast it is! Like the others have said (and same with my system) a bigger tv wouldn't hurt - and a universal remote!  Wink 

matthewpiano's picture

Looks great! I bet watching a film is a real experience with that system.

Metal cones?  Not on the Zensors.  Soft dome tweeter and Dali's usual wood fibre bass/mid drive units, although the one on the sub does look like it might be metal like on Mordaunt-Shorts.

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rega Apollo R - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

Oldboy's picture

BenLaw wrote:

Oldboy wrote:

So here we have my first pic Ben, more to follow if this one uploads ok.

Fantastic pics and system, nice one and congrats Oldboy  Smile The yamaha looks great head on, it's only from the side you realise what a beast it is! Like the others have said (and same with my system) a bigger tv wouldn't hurt - and a universal remote!  Wink 

Very many thanks for your kind words Ben.

The Yamaha is a beast alright but it was most certainly the last peice of the puzzle for my system and has made a huge difference to the quality of sound I'm now enjoying, I knew my old Onkyo was the weak link but I didn't realise by just how far.

I've got my eyes on a Samsung 55F8000 for later in the year at the moment but I'm sure something else will grab my attention as the 2013 tvs continue to be released but it definately be a 55 inch if I replace my beloved Sony 46HX853. And yes a universal remote is something I'm looking at and I think a Logitech Harmony Touch universal remote will be my next purchase.

Oldboy's picture

Pistol Pete1 wrote:

Oldboy wrote:

bigboss wrote:

You need a bigger TV oldboy...at least 55 inches!  Wink

I'm of exactly the same opinion bigboss and towards the end of the year I intend to add a nice shiny new 55 inch TV if funds allow  :grin:

Happy to take your old one off you at that stage???!!! £200 ok?  Wink

Dream on Pete lol...it's already sold if I decide to sell it as a good friend of mine has been eyeing it up since I bought it and I will be wanting far more than £200 for it, it cost me £1200 so I will be wanting to recover at least half of that to put towards a new 55 inch tv Wink

And yes I think you would have to spend at least £3000 on a receiver to get a similar level of stereo performance to that of your Marantz seperates and maybe more than that, when you think about all the features included in an av receiver and how much of the retail price has gone into the stereo performance then even at my amps level of £1500 I would say perhaps £50 max of that price has been taken up by stereo performance.

It's just a secondary concern from the business end of av receivers so you can't expect much thought or budget to go into stereo performance until you start to get to the top end of product ranges or more focused products. I love my Marantz seperates anyway so I'm actually really pleased that the Yamaha doesn't trump them as I get to enjoy them for years to come now (unless I upgrade at some point).

GSB's picture

So what's your fav dsp mode for hd viewing the Oldboy? Smile

Pages