28 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 40 sec ago
Joined: 04/09/2013 - 14:19
Posts: 51595
Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

Hi,

 

I will be buying a 5.1 surround system in the next month. 

I am pretty much set on RX6 AV12 in gloss black.

My room is 13x13 feet with wooden floors.
 

Which is the best AVR to partner the RX6 AV12? 

I am looking at latest models so:

Denon AVR-4520

Yamaha RX-A3020

Pioneer SC-LX86

 

I do not like too much bass and I like clarity (speech and small sounds if that makes sense).

Use will be:

HTPC - Blu-ray using TMT5 - 50%

Dreambox 800HD SE (1080i) - 40%

PS3 - 10%

I do not listen to music that much, so blu-ray movies and football matches are the most important to me.

 

Another thing... I won't be able to demo, as where I live we do not have that possibility... so I have to buy according to reviews and what you guys suggest!

Which would be the best to power the speakers?

 

Cheers

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12939
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

abriffa wrote:

Hi,

 

I will be buying a 5.1 surround system in the next month. 

I am pretty much set on RX6 AV12 in gloss black.

My room is 13x13 feet with wooden floors.
 

Which is the best AVR to partner the RX6 AV12? 

I am looking at latest models so:

Denon AVR-4520

Yamaha RX-A3020

Pioneer SC-LX86

 

I do not like too much bass and I like clarity (speech and small sounds if that makes sense).

Use will be:

HTPC - Blu-ray using TMT5 - 50%

Dreambox 800HD SE (1080i) - 40%

PS3 - 10%

I do not listen to music that much, so blu-ray movies and football matches are the most important to me.

 

Another thing... I won't be able to demo, as where I live we do not have that possibility... so I have to buy according to reviews and what you guys suggest!

Which would be the best to power the speakers?

 

Cheers

 

 

I do know the Pioneer gets recommended with that package.  What is HTPC Blu - ray using TMT5 mean?  In full please.   Smile

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

gel wrote:
I do know the Pioneer gets recommended with that package.  What is HTPC Blu - ray using TMT5 mean?  In full please.   Smile

 

It means I don't have a blu-ray player... I stream from NAS to HTPC and I play the blu-rays using Total Media Theater 5... works like a blu-ray player basically without the need for a physical disk

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12939
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

abriffa wrote:

gel wrote:
I do know the Pioneer gets recommended with that package.  What is HTPC Blu - ray using TMT5 mean?  In full please.   Smile

 

It means I don't have a blu-ray player... I stream from NAS to HTPC and I play the blu-rays using Total Media Theater 5... works like a blu-ray player basically without the need for a physical disk

 

Wow!   Dirol

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

gel wrote:

Wow!   Dirol

 

Lol!

 

So you think the Pioneer is a good choice? Cause I was going for it originally, but I read that the Yamaha and Denon are very good as well... and unfortunately since I cannot demo I have to rely on reviews and personal experience from users who have same kind or similar combinations

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12939
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

abriffa wrote:

gel wrote:

Wow!   Dirol

 

Lol!

 

So you think the Pioneer is a good choice? Cause I was going for it originally, but I read that the Yamaha and Denon are very good as well... and unfortunately since I cannot demo I have to rely on reviews and personal experience from users who have same kind or similar combinations

 

Well, it has been paired with the Pioneer in WHF ultimate guides mag and in their system builders feature, but I would probably wait and see what other responses you get too.  If it was me I would go Pioneer.   Smile

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

michael hoy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 min ago
Joined: 06/10/2008 - 18:56
Posts: 1599
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

I have the MA Apex system and a LX85, this combo works well for me.

The RX6 should be a good match, Can you demo the Pioneer and Denon, the 4520 looks to be an excellent amp.

 

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 8 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12905
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

michael hoy wrote:
Can you demo the Pioneer and Denon, 

He's already said twice that he can't get demos...

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

Thanks for the replies.

 

I managed to find Denon 4520 and Pioneer LX86 in my country (Malta)... did not manage to find Yamaha (would have to import it from UK).

 

Pioneer - EUR 2150 (£1728)

Denon - EUR 2599 (£2088)

 

For that price difference I am more inclined towards the Pioneer

 

Any thoughts?

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

 

Hi,

I got a quote for a Yamaha 3020 this morning...

 

Pioneer LX86 - EUR 2150 ( £1728 )

Yamaha A3020 - EUR 1899 ( £1522 )

Denon 4520 - EUR 2599 ( £2088 )

 

For the price I can say that the Denon is out I don't think it's worth it since these 3 are similar!

But now I am more confused... which should I get the Yamaha or the Pioneer for my RX6 package?

 

I'm really lost since this is my first sound system and I cannot demo, so any help would be appreciated!

 

Thanks

 

michael hoy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 min ago
Joined: 06/10/2008 - 18:56
Posts: 1599
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

abriffa wrote:

 

Hi,

I got a quote for a Yamaha 3020 this morning...

 

Pioneer LX86 - EUR 2150 ( £1728 )

Yamaha A3020 - EUR 1899 ( £1522 )

Denon 4520 - EUR 2599 ( £2088 )

 

For the price I can say that the Denon is out I don't think it's worth it since these 3 are similar!

But now I am more confused... which should I get the Yamaha or the Pioneer for my RX6 package?

 

I'm really lost since this is my first sound system and I cannot demo, so any help would be appreciated!

 

Thanks

 

In that case the Pioneer IMHO would be the better buy, have you agreed a discount on the Pioneer, the retail in the UK is £2199 and the Denon £2299.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

No, no discount, those are the retail prices here in Malta! Also, they are from 3 different shops which are the agents of the brands!

 

Even the RX6 AV12 I am getting cheaper... £2500 (incl shipping) Black Gloss... in the UK it is £2800 the black gloss finish + I would have to pay for shipping... I was surprised with the prices cause this is about the only thing we have cheaper in Malta... everything else is generally more expensive than UK!

 

Regarding my original query...

Why did you suggest the Pioneer? You think it will sound better than the Yamaha?

 

Thanks

michael hoy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 min ago
Joined: 06/10/2008 - 18:56
Posts: 1599
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

abriffa wrote:

No, no discount, those are the retail prices here in Malta! Also, they are from 3 different shops which are the agents of the brands!

 

Even the RX6 AV12 I am getting cheaper... £2500 (incl shipping) Black Gloss... in the UK it is £2800 the black gloss finish + I would have to pay for shipping... I was surprised with the prices cause this is about the only thing we have cheaper in Malta... everything else is generally more expensive than UK!

 

Regarding my original query...

Why did you suggest the Pioneer? You think it will sound better than the Yamaha?

 

Thanks

Having the MA Apex speakers and what I have read about the RX6, the Pioneer should match very well.

The Yamaha may sound a little warmer (laid back), the Pioneer has a very clear and forward sound. The Pioneer is not bright sounding as some will say, it is just very clear and very good at what it does.

Set the Pioneer up correctly and it will reward you every time you listen to it.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12939
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

abriffa wrote:

No, no discount, those are the retail prices here in Malta! Also, they are from 3 different shops which are the agents of the brands!

 

Even the RX6 AV12 I am getting cheaper... £2500 (incl shipping) Black Gloss... in the UK it is £2800 the black gloss finish + I would have to pay for shipping... I was surprised with the prices cause this is about the only thing we have cheaper in Malta... everything else is generally more expensive than UK!

 

Regarding my original query...

Why did you suggest the Pioneer? You think it will sound better than the Yamaha?

 

Thanks

 

With regard to UK pricing on the Monitor Audio package you can very easily negotiate £500 of the full price at Sevenoaks shops I have found.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Julian_b's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 14/06/2008 - 16:24
Posts: 88
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

Hi Abriffa - looks like you are going to have to make your decision based on the sound character you 'believe' you prefer, given you cannot audition any of your preferred choices. Basically, all of the models you have chosen are great. When theses are battling in the reviews vey little separates them beyond preference around tonal characteristics. So unless you can plan a holiday to somewhere where you can also audition the models - you'll have to take a small gamble. Good luck

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12837
RE: Denon AVR-4520 or Yamaha RX-A3020 or Pioneer SC-LX86

michael hoy wrote:

The Pioneer is not bright sounding as some will say

I haven't heard the receiver, but the reviewers think otherwise (check "Against" in the summary box). In any case, Pioneer is known to match well with OP's speaker package, so this is irrelevant.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments