Have your say & ask the experts!

A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

69 replies [Last post]
bigboss's picture
Online
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11798
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

BenLaw wrote:

Of course, if box count is the priority the best option may be ditching these speakers, replace them with 3 actives and just have the oppo 105 as an integrated blu ray & pre/pro  twisted

(waiting for AVI lovers to start recommending any time now....)

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

GSB
GSB's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Posts: 1353
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

PLEASE,FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE NOOOOO pray

__________________

PanasonicTX-P46GT30B..Yamaha RX-A1010...Music Fidelity M3i...OPPO105EU...KEFR100/R200C/3001SE/HTB2SE...SkyHD2TB...QED Copper Speaker Cable /HDMI/Analogue...PS3...IPAD2

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5904
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

bigboss wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Of course, if box count is the priority the best option may be ditching these speakers, replace them with 3 actives and just have the oppo 105 as an integrated blu ray & pre/pro  twisted

(waiting for AVI lovers to start recommending any time now....)

 

TBF the all in one stereo advantages are rather redundant in a HT setup - you're spending money on their pre amps, remote, DACs and multiple inputs that you wouldn't need. 

 

Cno, in case you couldn't tell I was just having a bit of a joke. I actually think we're in agreement about Alex's current thoughts - it doesn't really work. To get a centre and the required quality of amplification to match current stereo amp and speakers will be very expensive, it would seem prohibitively so. It also cannot be achieved with an integrated solution. Lower grade centre and / or amp will not lead to a satisfying outcome. So Alex has three choices - (i) start from scratch, (ii) have a separate HT system, (iii) forget this idea and enjoy films in stereo. 

__________________

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11418
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

BenLaw wrote:

Cno, in case you couldn't tell I was just having a bit of a joke. 

Who me?.......not a clue.  Wink

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Native_bon's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 831
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

CnoEvil wrote:

Possible Sonus Faber centres: http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?manufacturer=sonus+faber

- Toy

- Venere

- Liuto Smart

- Cremona

Sorry off Topic...

 Hey CnoEvil, woild you happen to know were i could get this sonus faber Venere center to match my speakers.. Or if possible to audtion the center.. am currently using B&W's HTM61.. Would my  Cremona's over power the Venere center..?

Cheers

__________________

No rules. If it sounds good to you it sounds Right!!.Transpor:t . Oppo BDP-105EU Blue ray player. DAC:Musical Fidelity V90. AMP: Arcam AVR450. SPEAKER'S: Boston acoustics M340.

 

bigboss's picture
Online
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11798
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

Native_bon wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

Possible Sonus Faber centres: http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?manufacturer=sonus+faber

- Toy

- Venere

- Liuto Smart

- Cremona

Sorry off Topic...

 Hey CnoEvil, woild you happen to know were i could get this sonus faber Venere center to match my speakers.. Or if possible to audtion the center.. am currently using B&W's HTM61.. Would my  Cremona's over power the Venere center..?

Cheers

http://www.kjwestone.co.uk/collection/01/sonus-faber/venere-center-new/

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11418
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

Native_bon wrote:

Sorry off Topic...

 Hey CnoEvil, woild you happen to know were i could get this sonus faber Venere center to match my speakers.. Or if possible to audtion the center.. am currently using B&W's HTM61.. Would my  Cremona's over power the Venere center..?

Cheers

I can't be much help I'm afraid........maybe give SF a ring and see where your nearest dealer is.

I wouldn't think your Cremonas would over-power the Venere centre....I would worry more about the tonal match (which may be OK).

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5904
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

CnoEvil wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Cno, in case you couldn't tell I was just having a bit of a joke. 

Who me?.......not a clue.  Wink

 

Maybe I misinterpreted your response then. Anyway, do you agree with my assessment?

__________________

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11418
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

BenLaw wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Cno, in case you couldn't tell I was just having a bit of a joke. 

Who me?.......not a clue.  Wink

Maybe I misinterpreted your response then. Anyway, do you agree with my assessment?

Forums can be tricky to fully get one's intention across.......I was being a tad facetious / flippant.

Yes I agree.....and somewhat speaking from experience.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

acalex's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1591
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

OK...you convinced me there is nothing to do so far as I don't have space to put other speakers and my SFs are not going nowhere for the next....ehm...many years Smile

I guess I will just get a good BR player (which I can also use as CDPlayer) and keep enjoying films in stereo. I had this idea of adding a center as I was convinced that it would fix this problem of turning up and down the volume. I watched Batman last night (the last one) and it was pretty impressive also with the stereo setup...not sure what my neighbours thought about my idea though  shame on you

Thanks a lot for all suggestions

bigboss's picture
Online
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11798
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

Adding a centre speaker will certainly help, but you need a separate AV receiver to run it. You can even go for a slimline version like Marantz with pre-outs as suggested by someone in the thread earlier.

What will really make a massive difference to your experience, is a subwoofer, if you don't already have one. It's a sin to watch Batman without one!  Shock

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

acalex's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1591
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

bigboss wrote:

Adding a centre speaker will certainly help, but you need a separate AV receiver to run it. You can even go for a slimline version like Marantz with pre-outs as suggested by someone in the thread earlier.

What will really make a massive difference to your experience, is a subwoofer, if you don't already have one. It's a sin to watch Batman without one!  Shock

So you are suggesting that if I get a separate AV receiver than it will be enough to drive a center and a subwoofer? I like a lot actually the Marantz slimline version and was on my radar for long time. 

The fact of having a decent center but not at the same level of speakers (as I really don't want to invest that much now) would be an horrible syn?

Actually..I thought the same but the room was really shaking when Batman was driving his "car" and I could feel almost the air of explosions even without subwoofer. Was REALLY impressed by the SFs for their size. Don't want to imagine what a subwoofer can do...but unfortunately I would need to change house first as having other people underneath and on top is not ideal for this! 

Thanks

acalex's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1591
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

CnoEvil wrote:

Native_bon wrote:

Sorry off Topic...

 Hey CnoEvil, woild you happen to know were i could get this sonus faber Venere center to match my speakers.. Or if possible to audtion the center.. am currently using B&W's HTM61.. Would my  Cremona's over power the Venere center..?

Cheers

I can't be much help I'm afraid........maybe give SF a ring and see where your nearest dealer is.

I wouldn't think your Cremonas would over-power the Venere centre....I would worry more about the tonal match (which may be OK).

I am really not experienced so pardon me if I am saying silly things...but it is really that important? I mean, the voice when you have a center is supposed to get out of the center only, correct? How a tonal match will influence so much your experience? I mean if you get voice over the center and all the rest from the front. why it's so important having the tone of special effects similar to the voice? How much difference can be?

Again...sorry if I am swearing!  embarassed

bigboss's picture
Online
Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 11798
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

acalex wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Adding a centre speaker will certainly help, but you need a separate AV receiver to run it. You can even go for a slimline version like Marantz with pre-outs as suggested by someone in the thread earlier.

What will really make a massive difference to your experience, is a subwoofer, if you don't already have one. It's a sin to watch Batman without one!  Shock

So you are suggesting that if I get a separate AV receiver than it will be enough to drive a center and a subwoofer? I like a lot actually the Marantz slimline version and was on my radar for long time. 

The fact of having a decent center but not at the same level of speakers (as I really don't want to invest that much now) would be an horrible syn?

Actually..I thought the same but the room was really shaking when Batman was driving his "car" and I could feel almost the air of explosions even without subwoofer. Was REALLY impressed by the SFs for their size. Don't want to imagine what a subwoofer can do...but unfortunately I would need to change house first as having other people underneath and on top is not ideal for this! 

Thanks

Yes, the AV receiver will be able to drive a subwoofer as well. I don't think a subwoofer will make things worse. It'll simply take over the job from your front speakers and do a better job at it.

__________________

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

acalex's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1591
RE: A/V Receiver and blue ray player integrated

bigboss wrote:

acalex wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Adding a centre speaker will certainly help, but you need a separate AV receiver to run it. You can even go for a slimline version like Marantz with pre-outs as suggested by someone in the thread earlier.

What will really make a massive difference to your experience, is a subwoofer, if you don't already have one. It's a sin to watch Batman without one!  Shock

So you are suggesting that if I get a separate AV receiver than it will be enough to drive a center and a subwoofer? I like a lot actually the Marantz slimline version and was on my radar for long time. 

The fact of having a decent center but not at the same level of speakers (as I really don't want to invest that much now) would be an horrible syn?

Actually..I thought the same but the room was really shaking when Batman was driving his "car" and I could feel almost the air of explosions even without subwoofer. Was REALLY impressed by the SFs for their size. Don't want to imagine what a subwoofer can do...but unfortunately I would need to change house first as having other people underneath and on top is not ideal for this! 

Thanks

Yes, the AV receiver will be able to drive a subwoofer as well. I don't think a subwoofer will make things worse. It'll simply take over the job from your front speakers and do a better job at it.

You got me curios now...I think I will borrow one to see how things change, also for music.