36 posts / 0 new
Last post
professorhat's picture
RE: 1996 noise act?

eggontoast, whilst I sympathise with your viewpoint, there are extremes and this is not a black and white issue. To simply state the that someone's neighbours shouldn't have to compromise in any situation is just plain silly.

Last time I looked, when I was paying to live somewhere in the UK, this meant I had certain freedoms, one of which was I was allowed to enjoy certain normal activities where I lived. If listening to music / watching a film at non excessive volume levels is one of those normal activities, then there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to do these things at a reasonable hour of the day or evening. If my neighbour has a specific activity at a certain time of day where he'd prefer I didn't make too much noise and asked me to refrain, I would no doubt compromise to meet this (since I'm a reasonable person). In return, I would also expect them to be reasonable and compromise to the fact that, at other times, I may well take part in said activity, as it is my absolute right to do.

If you've got the money to live in a detached house, then fantastic, you can do what you like. Most of us can't afford that luxury at this point in our lives at the current ridiculous prices these properties have now reached. For these people who live in flats / maisonettes etc, compromise is king to ensure everyone gets on peacefully. As I've said though, some people are just not willing to and will complain no matter what you do. If that's the case, as long as you abide by the law and your tenancy agreement then they'll just have to go fish. And I have no issue in telling them so.

The owls are not what they seem...

eggontoast's picture

Professorhat, I concur with you and matthewpiano that there has to be a little compromise to a point.

However, we don't know enough info to base an opinion on the OP's situation 1) we don't know how often he listens to music and movies 2) at what time of the day he does this, all we do know is he has his volume control at 0.0. Now I would imagine that in a flat at this level his neighbours probably think they are storming the beaches of Normandy and searching for Private Ryan.

professorhat's picture

True, enough - I missed the part about volume being set to 0.0 - as others have said, on my system that would indeed shake the very foundations of the building (even if the room took up the entire floor). Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, I'm going to assume that something must be different and this is just "normal" listening volumes at a reasonable hour of the day / evening.

If it really is being listened to that loud though, then I now completely see and agree where you're coming from about that not being a fair compromise! I did get a bang on my ceiling from the upstairs neighbours once when watching The Dark Knight at about -12. I immediately turned the volume down to -20 (still quite loud) and then realised just how loud it had been previously (I had got a bit carried away with the film!).

The owls are not what they seem...

Soopafly49's picture

eggontoast wrote:

Soopafly49 wrote:

everyone else does accept the noise around them except for these people.

Just out of interest, how do you know they accept the noise. Just because people don't complain it doesn't mean that it's not making their life miserable.

Soopafly49 wrote:
i can hear thier everyfootstep upstairs and tv when i havent got mine on and they dont even have it thta lound from what i can gather. so even if i am listening a a low volume they are still going to hear it.
So why are you surprised that they have complained about your home theater system ?

Because I have spoken to my neibourgh and even been down stairs to check how loud it was. He didnt seem to mind and said if it was toom much then he would have come and said.
Soopafly49's picture

eggontoast wrote:

Professorhat, I concur with you and matthewpiano that there has to be a little compromise to a point.

However, we don't know enough info to base an opinion on the OP's situation 1) we don't know how often he listens to music and movies 2) at what time of the day he does this, all we do know is he has his volume control at 0.0. Now I would imagine that in a flat at this level his neighbours probably think they are storming the beaches of Normandy and searching for Private Ryan.

Movies were at 0.0 and are watched mostly in the evening but have been turn down a lot till i can get these subdudes. Music on the other hand is generelly lower at about -30 or -20 depending on the music  which is mostly in the middle of the day when i have days of and sometimes in the evening when i get home from work.

Pages