36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Soopafly49's picture
RE: 1996 noise act?

Paul Hobbs wrote:

laserman16 wrote:

Soopafly49 wrote:

i only put the amp up to 0.0. 

Well I think thats pretty loud, I couldn't stop in the same room if mine was at that volume, although I appreciate all amps are not the same.

I live in a flat, and listen at -30 if dude up stairs is in, and -25 to -20 if he is out.  -20 can get a bit painful if the action scene lasts more than a minute or two.  I've only taken it up to 0 for my house warming and I thought the building was going to fall down!

my listening room is quite large though  at least 15 wide 25 ft long and 13 ft high and the people upstairs are retired so are always and they just moved in last month.
Paul.'s picture

If your amp is setup correctly with the microphone that came with it, 0 on the amp will be around 85db at the listening position, so on a big room next to the speaker the noise will be huge.  Unfortunately you may need to just turn it down when the neighbors are in.  

6th.replicant's picture

What type of ceilings/floors in your building - suspended-floor/void/ceiling or concrete?

And what/where the hell was the 1996 Noise Act when I needed it?  |(    

Soopafly49's picture

Paul Hobbs wrote:

If your amp is setup correctly with the microphone that came with it, 0 on the amp will be around 85db at the listening position, so on a big room next to the speaker the noise will be huge.  Unfortunately you may need to just turn it down when the neighbors are in.  

Havent done that yet as the speakers are not staying where there are.( long story due to a too short HDMI) but will do that as soon as.
Soopafly49's picture

6th.replicant wrote:

What type of ceilings/floors in your building - suspended-floor/void/ceiling or concrete?

And what/where the hell was the 1996 Noise Act when I needed it?  |(    

not sure when the guy was instaling the pj he thought that it was concrete but the was a void aswell. I read through the act and its mostly about noise at night anyway.
matthewpiano's picture

Just seen this thread.  I live in a ground floor flat and I listen to lots of music, but I think there has to be compromise on every side.  If you live in a flat you have to accept that you are going to hear some noise some of the time from your neighbours.  However, you also have to accept that your neighbours don't want to hear your music/films all the time and that you have to be more considerate with the volume control than you might be otherwise.  Personally I don't think subs have any place in a flat.

I'm lucky in that I don't like my music too loud anyway, but I think the word here is compromise.

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rotel RCD965BX - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

Paul.'s picture

Its why I switched from Mission M35s to my BR5s, they were just downright unreasonable in a flat and sounded muffled quite.  Couldn't bring myself to go the full hog and get bookshelves tho...

eggontoast's picture

I don't personally think your neighbours should have to compromise.

They obviously don't want to listen to your noise pollution which to them is probably a form of torture and quite rightly so. There are alternative's for listening to music without interfering with other people or you have the option to move where you can be as noisy as you like. I don't understand why people think it is OK to do what they want and other people should have to put up with them be it music, car parking, dogs pooing all over the place :rant: are you listening No. 10 & 12......

matthewpiano's picture

eggontoast, I do largely agree with you.  However, I think everyone has to accept that if they live in a flat, particularly a modern one, you are going to hear noise from people around you.  The important thing is that it is controlled, at sociable times and within reason.  I don't class having a subwoofer in a flat 'within reason', for example but given the way these blocks are built now, nobody can expect to never hear some noise.  That is the element of compromise I'm talking about.

Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Graham Slee Gram Amp 1 - Rotel RCD965BX - Exposure 1010 amp - Dynaudio DM2/6 - Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

Big Chris's picture

I agree it's about compromise. It's a shame the neighbours didn't have a word with you directly.

When Mrs BC and I lived in our old flat, I made a point to get to know my neighbours and part of that was telling them I was a noisy git and there would be no hard feelings if they knocked and told me to turn it down. I even invited neighbours in to watch films and stuff.

Much better solution than all this legal nonsense.

professorhat's picture

Big Chris wrote:
I agree it's about compromise. It's a shame the neighbours didn't have a word with you directly. When Mrs BC and I lived in our old flat, I made a point to get to know my neighbours and part of that was telling them I was a noisy git and there would be no hard feelings if they knocked and told me to turn it down. I even invited neighbours in to watch films and stuff. Much better solution than all this legal nonsense.
Absolutely. If you respect your neighbours and show you're willing to compromise, they're more likely to pay the same respect back.

Big Chris wrote:

I agree it's about compromise. It's a shame the neighbours didn't have a word with you directly.

When Mrs BC and I lived in our old flat, I made a point to get to know my neighbours and part of that was telling them I was a noisy git and there would be no hard feelings if they knocked and told me to turn it down. I even invited neighbours in to watch films and stuff.

Much better solution than all this legal nonsense.

Absolutely. If you respect your neighbours and show you're willing to compromise, they're more likely to pay the same respect back. Of course some don't and would rather no one lived in the flat at all - when this happens, you just need to ensure you abide by the law and by the conditions of your tenancy. My friends had an issue whereby the downstairs neighbours would complain if someone just got up in the middle of the night to use the toilet! After they complained to the council, they monitored the situation and told the neighbours they were being unreasonable and they just had to live with it.

The owls are not what they seem...

chebby's picture

professorhat wrote:
My friends had an issue whereby the downstairs neighbours would complain if someone just got up in the middle of the night to use the toilet! After they complained to the council, they monitored the situation and told the neighbours they were being unreasonable and they just had to live with it.

About 24 years ago I arrived home from a long nightshift to be confronted by neighbours wanting to complain that our 2 year-old had been crying during the night and she (and my wife) had woken them up.

I was told by this (elderly) couple to 'sort out' my wife and our daughter and ensure it never happened again!

I very politely told them that if our daughter was ever crying at night again (it didn't happen very often unless she was poorly) that they had my total blessing to call the Police immediately without having to wait until morning to talk to us first.

Never saw them on our doorstep again. (I really hoped they would call the Police and get done as time wasters.)

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Soopafly49's picture

matthewpiano wrote:

eggontoast, I do largely agree with you.  However, I think everyone has to accept that if they live in a flat, particularly a modern one, you are going to hear noise from people around you.  The important thing is that it is controlled, at sociable times and within reason.  I don't class having a subwoofer in a flat 'within reason', for example but given the way these blocks are built now, nobody can expect to never hear some noise.  That is the element of compromise I'm talking about.

everyone else does accept the noise around them except for these people. i can hear thier everyfootstep upstairs and tv when i havent got mine on and they dont even have it thta lound from what i can gather. so even if i am listening a a low volume they are still going to hear it. either way a sub isnt the only way to make of lot of noise no matter where you live so i dont think its fair to say someone should or shouldnt have a sub.
eggontoast's picture

Soopafly49 wrote:

everyone else does accept the noise around them except for these people.

Just out of interest, how do you know they accept the noise. Just because people don't complain it doesn't mean that it's not making their life miserable.

Soopafly49 wrote:
i can hear thier everyfootstep upstairs and tv when i havent got mine on and they dont even have it thta lound from what i can gather. so even if i am listening a a low volume they are still going to hear it.
So why are you surprised that they have complained about your home theater system ?
hammill's picture

I lived in a flat when I left university that was just a converted house - no concrete floors. My downstairs neighbour invited me to listen to my hifi from his flat and it was hardly any quieter than it was in my room. I only played my hifi via speakers  when he was out in future and bought some headphones - it was the only reasonable thing to do. I moved out to a house share as soon as I could and started saving for a house.

Pages