36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Soopafly49's picture
1996 noise act?
English

Just recieved an email from the agency i rent from that that there have been complaints of loud and explosions and music come from my flat and that i am  in breach of contract. Had my system intalled since about christmas and have not had the sysstem up full volume. I assume it is the people who just moved downstairs. how do i reduce amount of base going through the floor.

Andrew Everard's picture
RE: 1996 noise act?

One of these

under the sub will cost you about £40-£50 and will isolate the bass from the floor to a great extent, but won't stop all the transmission – a lot of sound will go through the walls, down (and indeed up) to neighbours. The only solution is to keep the volume/bass down...

eggontoast's picture
Soopafly49's picture

[quote=Andrew Everard]

One of these

under the sub will cost you about £40-£50 and will isolate the bass from the floor to a great extent, but won't stop all the transmission – a lot of sound will go through the walls, down (and indeed up) to neighbours. The only solution is to keep the volume/bass down...

[/quot ]

. Checked with both neibourghs beneath me is not that bad and neighbour is not botherd. It is upstairs they claim the whole floor vibrates. Have just been up there to see and she told me it gets here down. Will marble chopping boards do the same job for underneath the floor standers

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Soopafly49]</p> <p>[quote=Andrew Everard wrote:

One of these

[/quot ]

. Checked with both neibourghs beneath me is not that bad and neighbour is not botherd. It is upstairs they claim the whole floor vibrates. Have just been up there to see and she told me it gets here down. Will marble chopping boards do the same job for underneath the floor standers

Put them on the ceiling :grin:

Andrew Everard's picture

Marble will help a little, but the Auralex will stop a lot more of the mechanical vibration going into the structure and thus up through the walls to the flat above. However, if it's airborne vibration, only turning down will help, short of soundproofing the room and floating it independent of the main structure of the building, which may be a tad radical.

Soopafly49's picture

Andrew Everard wrote:

Marble will help a little, but the Auralex will stop a lot more of the mechanical vibration going into the structure and thus up through the walls to the flat above. However, if it's airborne vibration, only turning down will help, short of soundproofing the room and floating it independent of the main structure of the building, which may be a tad radical.

How do i know if it is airborne or going up through the walls. and the auralex will be a bit big for the sub and speakers
Andrew Everard's picture

Soopafly49 wrote:
How do i know if it is airborne or going up through the walls. and the auralex will be a bit big for the sub and speakers

It's likely to be a combination of both, with most going through the structure and relative little being airborne (assuming you're really not playing it loud and you haven't got paperthin ceilings).

If the Gramma is too big, the smaller SubDude under the subwoofer will probably help a lot.

Soopafly49's picture

Right thanks. well i can hear them walking around upstairs so think they are paper thin. i only put the amp up to 0.0. will check out the subdude might try and find out if they will customise the gramma to a specific size aswell.

Xanderzdad's picture

Why not try it without the sub running initially and see if your neighbour is happy.  Then push the volume gently until your neighbour feels it is too much.  Back the volume down a tad and see if you are happy.  That way you are both happy at no cost.

This is cheaper than buying anything.  Some people are very sensitive to vibration / low frequency noise.  Others just complain at everything.  You need to find your neighbours limits and/or triggers before spending any money.

Soopafly49's picture

Xanderzdad wrote:

Why not try it without the sub running initially and see if your neighbour is happy.  Then push the volume gently until your neighbour feels it is too much.  Back the volume down a tad and see if you are happy.  That way you are both happy at no cost.

This is cheaper than buying anything.  Some people are very sensitive to vibration / low frequency noise.  Others just complain at everything.  You need to find your neighbours limits and/or triggers before spending any money.

The thing is she said it was when i listen to music aswell which is lower than when i have movies on and i only listen in 2 channel mode. For the time being would i benefit from using pennies under spikes or even the using the ball feet that came with the speaks. i currently have atacama spike shoes for rear speakers which are on super dreadnaughts.
laserman16's picture

Soopafly49 wrote:

i only put the amp up to 0.0. 

Well I think thats pretty loud, I couldn't stop in the same room if mine was at that volume, although I appreciate all amps are not the same.

Soopafly49's picture

Andrew Everard wrote:

One of these

Do you know of any auralex dealers in the uk?
CnoEvil's picture

These are good products, and are on sale here:
http://explore.dolphinmusic.co.uk/search?p=Q&w=gramma

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Paul.'s picture

laserman16 wrote:

Soopafly49 wrote:

i only put the amp up to 0.0. 

Well I think thats pretty loud, I couldn't stop in the same room if mine was at that volume, although I appreciate all amps are not the same.

I live in a flat, and listen at -30 if dude up stairs is in, and -25 to -20 if he is out.  -20 can get a bit painful if the action scene lasts more than a minute or two.  I've only taken it up to 0 for my house warming and I thought the building was going to fall down!

chebby's picture

Agree on a mutually acceptable volume level and a time of evening beyond which you agree not to play anything loud.

Use headphones.

Move.

Carry on regardless and risk getting done by agency again.

Spend fortune on damping/isolating products that may not solve problem.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Pages