17 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 04/09/2013 - 14:19
Posts: 51601
iPhone 5 music quality is worse
English

Having had all previous iphones and ipods, the current iPhone 5 is distinctly lacking in volume and bass compared to iPhone 4s and the ipod is significantly better in music quality terms.

 

I think the sound overall on the iPhone 5 is very average and I am using Seinnhieser IE8 earphones, so these are not the issue.

 

I guess the components are being selected for size and power consumption rather than quality.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13213
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

I'm glad I have an iPhone 4s then.   :cheer:

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

RodhasGibson's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/10/2008 - 18:32
Posts: 987
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

Sorry Joe,don't agree with you on this.I too have had iphone 4 onwards  now 5 and ipad 2 onwards now 4th Gen.I use Sennheiser OMX-980's 16ohm in ear and Audio Technica ATH-ES55 34ohm Over Ears and am getting as good or even Better Results.I find it almost unbearable to have the volume up more than 70%.Way to loud for me i'm afraid.I have normal hearing btw.  Smile

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13213
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

Is it just me or does the new iPhone 5 look a bit long and plastically?   Smile

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

RodhasGibson's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/10/2008 - 18:32
Posts: 987
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

Gel,it's not plasticky at all,I can assure you.Made of aluminium and glass.Thats the Galaxy S3 you're thinking of  :grin:

philipjohnwright's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 26/06/2009 - 21:32
Posts: 242
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13213
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

RodhasGibson wrote:

Gel,it's not plasticky at all,I can assure you.Made of aluminium and glass.Thats the Galaxy S3 you're thinking of  :grin:

 

Must just be me, I have only seen it once but when I first held the 4s it felt like I was holding something really special and had a real quality feel to it.  The five I didn't feel that.  I will have to have another look and feel.   Smile

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

RodhasGibson's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 10/10/2008 - 18:32
Posts: 987
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

Careful,it'll make you go blind Gel  Wink

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6394
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

RodhasGibson wrote:

Sorry Joe,don't agree with you on this.I too have had iphone 4 onwards  now 5 and ipad 2 onwards now 4th Gen.I use Sennheiser OMX-980's 16ohm in ear and Audio Technica ATH-ES55 34ohm Over Ears and am getting as good or even Better Results.I find it almost unbearable to have the volume up more than 70%.Way to loud for me i'm afraid.I have normal hearing btw.  Smile

 

In general, I agree. I can't tell the difference in SQ between the 5 and the 4, it's certainly no worse. The volume IS limited and has a lower max. With ordinary phones (ultimate ears 600vi in my case) I listen below 50% volume, usually well below. The only time I have an issue with it is when playing a podcast through the aux input of my pure one mini radio. The iPhone 4 had no such problem so this is slightly annoying. 

 

Gel, I was worried from photos that the 5 looked too long and might be overly light. Its dimensions look great in reality and whilst it is remarkably light its build quality and materials are first class. Still better than the competition that I've seen. 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

I can't say I've noticed any difference between the 4S and the 5 in terms of audio quality. And I agree about the build quality, it's a beautifully made phone, it's like a work of art  Smile

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 38 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 16299
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

I'll probably never know. I only use AirPlay (and, occasionally, a Bluetooth speaker) so I don't think the signal finds a DAC until it gets to my Marantz M-CR603 (or my Bluetooth speaker).

Anyway, I'll find out on the 14th November.

 

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

v1c's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 08/02/2009 - 18:10
Posts: 695
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

gel wrote:

Must just be me, I have only seen it once but when I first held the 4s it felt like I was holding something really special and had a real quality feel to it.  The five I didn't feel that.  I will have to have another look and feel.   Smile

Not just you Gel.... my daughter got hers and i had a look of course. I thought i was holding a kids toy and i would break it. It's not a phone 4 me Smile

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13213
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

v1c wrote:

gel wrote:

Must just be me, I have only seen it once but when I first held the 4s it felt like I was holding something really special and had a real quality feel to it.  The five I didn't feel that.  I will have to have another look and feel.   Smile

Not just you Gel.... my daughter got hers and i had a look of course. I thought i was holding a kids toy and i would break it. It's not a phone 4 me Smile

 

Yeah that is how I felt, when I got the 4s out of the box it was like wow, I did not realise how well made and good it looked.  Held the 5 it felt a bit cheap and tacky.   Smile

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

landzw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 day ago
Joined: 09/06/2009 - 15:36
Posts: 641
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

gel wrote:

v1c wrote:

gel wrote:

Must just be me, I have only seen it once but when I first held the 4s it felt like I was holding something really special and had a real quality feel to it.  The five I didn't feel that.  I will have to have another look and feel.   Smile

Not just you Gel.... my daughter got hers and i had a look of course. I thought i was holding a kids toy and i would break it. It's not a phone 4 me Smile

 

Yeah that is how I felt, when I got the 4s out of the box it was like wow, I did not realise how well made and good it looked.  Held the 5 it felt a bit cheap and tacky.   Smile

I dont think its poorly built, i think its the lightness of the phone that kind off throws you off if it had some weight to it you would proberbly feel different.

But i know what you mean with the iPhone 4, its just a shame you have to have cases / covers to protect your phone as its still a nice phone to look at and well built

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

You don't appreciate how robust the 4 and 4s phone is until you compare to the 5. The 5 is easy to mark up whereas he 4 series wears its scratches better and the stainless steel band is ultra tough. The back cover of the 4 can also be replaced at apple for £25. 

I've done it side by side and the volume is definitely lower. Some may prefer the sound of the five, but it is different and there is either more higher end frequency or less lower end. Not my preference, but I would say do a demo. 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13213
RE: iPhone 5 music quality is worse

woollyjoe wrote:

You don't appreciate how robust the 4 and 4s phone is until you compare to the 5. The 5 is easy to mark up whereas he 4 series wears its scratches better and the stainless steel band is ultra tough. The back cover of the 4 can also be replaced at apple for £25. 

I've done it side by side and the volume is definitely lower. Some may prefer the sound of the five, but it is different and there is either more higher end frequency or less lower end. Not my preference, but I would say do a demo. 

 

I love the back of the 4s, didn't like the back of the 5!

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments