30 posts / 0 new
Last post
MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3423
Apple iPhones: losing direction?

With the latest batch of offerings from such as Sony, Samsung, HTC et al, Apple must have noticed that they have been somewhat overtaken.

Larger crisper screens, faster processors, innovative features, and of course an ability to take memory-upgrades via cheap micro SD cards, which bizarrely Apple has never seen as an important consideration.

Watching a video of Sir Johnny Ives telling us how brilliantly crafted they are is no longer cutting it.

If they don't realise all this, then it's surely corporate suicide. iPhones, ipads and ipods are the mainstay of their business, because their computers have always been (and are likely to remain) minority-interest products, so with the former they need to stay ahead to survive.

What's their next move?

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12867
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

MajorFubar wrote:
an ability to take memory-upgrades via cheap micro SD cards, which bizarrely Apple has never seen as an important consideration.

HTC have dropped this now as well, irritatingly, especially as they don't offer the 64GB One in the UK, I'm already full on my current 32GB SD card, so I don't see how I can go for the One, even though it's the One (muwahaha!) I really want.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

Apple charge £100 per 16GB of additional memory so won't be providing a micro SD card slot anytime soon.

I agree though, while many iPhone users are probably more than happy with their phones, many others are bored of the OS and want a bigger screen. 

I think Apple's marketing has been unbelievably good in the past and many people will blindly want one, plus they do make beautiful, desirable products, but the competition offer more for less IMO. 

Apple need new ideas!

 

Juzzie Wuzzie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 18/09/2007 - 16:18
Posts: 613
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

For what it is worth, I'd prefer a simple iPhone - smaller, longer battery life, that does the basics well.  I like a smart phone, but don't need everything on it.  I may even return to a £15 Nokia and carry an GSM iPad mini with me. 

But I see your point - if you are going to lead a class (i.e. fully functioned smart phones) iPhones could be seen to be lagging.

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 15871
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

AirPlay - iPhone - iTunes - iPlayer...

It all just fits together nicely for me and works how i'm used to.

I'm no 'blind' Apple devotee though.

If they had left the new iMacs with a built-in optical drive, then i'd have bought a new one by now. They didn't, so I will keep the old iMac (Snow Leopard) until it becomes untenable/not supported/dead etc. then replace it with a good laptop.

 

 

 

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3423
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

Juzzie Wuzzie wrote:
But I see your point - if you are going to lead a class (i.e. fully functioned smart phones) iPhones could be seen to be lagging.

Yes exactly. When I bought my iPhone, it could be argued I paid a premium for it being a boutique designer product, but in terms of the actual phone itself, compared to the competition I felt it was pretty-much up there with the best. Can't say I feel the same about the iPhone 5. And I'm not alone. Looking around my office two years ago, iPhones were the dominant product on people's desks. Not so now.

To get back on top, iPhone 6 needs to be something which will make the S4, One and Sony look like toys. Not enough people will be swayed anymore by the promise of it being a beautifully-made but under-spec'd jewel.

landzw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 09/06/2009 - 15:36
Posts: 638
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

Juzzie Wuzzie wrote:

For what it is worth, I'd prefer a simple iPhone - smaller, longer battery life, that does the basics well.  I like a smart phone, but don't need everything on it.  I may even return to a £15 Nokia and carry an GSM iPad mini with me. 

But I see your point - if you are going to lead a class (i.e. fully functioned smart phones) iPhones could be seen to be lagging.

This is something i have been thinking about to, a cheap pay as you go phone with an GSM iPad 

 

landzw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 09/06/2009 - 15:36
Posts: 638
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

MajorFubar wrote:
Juzzie Wuzzie wrote:
But I see your point - if you are going to lead a class (i.e. fully functioned smart phones) iPhones could be seen to be lagging.

 

Yes exactly. When I bought my iPhone, it could be argued I paid a premium for it being a boutique designer product, but in terms of the actual phone itself, compared to the competition I felt it was pretty-much up there with the best. Can't say I feel the same about the iPhone 5. And I'm not alone. Looking around my office two years ago, iPhones were the dominant product on people's desks. Not so now. To get back on top, iPhone 6 needs to be something which will make the S4, One and Sony look like toys. Not enough people will be swayed anymore by the promise of it being a beautifully-made but under-spec'd jewel.

I do not think Apple are to play that game who has the biggest cpu, screen, memory 

Yes they may bring out a larger sreen phone or a so called cheaper replacement for the iPhone which will bring it upto date with the lightning connector but still have the 3.5inch screen 

I think you going to find slimmer/lighter phones with a better build quality and things like in the future full room wireless charging and even things like finger recognition on its start button (for example) A good quality camera witha good battery life. 

As for memory it will be a thing of the past with Apple because if you didn't notice in WWDC 2013 you should have access to all of your iTunes TV and Films with iOS7 so the future looks like streaming to me

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 22993
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

MajorFubar wrote:
Apple iPhones: losing direction?

I understand that Maps will be much better in iOS7.

RodhasGibson's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 10/10/2008 - 18:32
Posts: 979
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

John Duncan wrote:

MajorFubar wrote:
Apple iPhones: losing direction?

I understand that Maps will be much better in iOS7.

My your'e on form today JD, btw have you finalised the eurostar website now? looked very tidy last time I looked  Wink
chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 15871
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

RodhasGibson wrote:

John Duncan wrote:

MajorFubar wrote:
Apple iPhones: losing direction?

I understand that Maps will be much better in iOS7.

My your'e on form today JD, btw have you finalised the eurostar website now? looked very tidy last time I looked  Wink

Oh good grief! Was thinking of travelling on that later in the year.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 22993
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

chebby wrote:

RodhasGibson wrote:

John Duncan wrote:

MajorFubar wrote:
Apple iPhones: losing direction?

I understand that Maps will be much better in iOS7.

My your'e on form today JD, btw have you finalised the eurostar website now? looked very tidy last time I looked  Wink

Oh good grief! Was thinking of travelling on that later in the year.

And I think you'll find it works rather well.

EDIT - this is the desktop version only, we haven't rebuilt mobile.

Pete68's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 weeks ago
Joined: 15/11/2012 - 10:29
Posts: 226
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

What is often overlooked with an Apple iPhone is that is will last for years and years much like their computers. The service providers offering constant upgrades means that people don't get to experience this longevity which is a part of the quality of any Apple device. I’m still on the 3Gs...

I prefer a smaller phone. A friend pulled his phone out in the pub the other night and I thought he looked a bit of a nob as the phone was so big.

The iphone does all that most people want it to and having read (since I got the model I have) that working conditions in the iPhone factory is very poor due to the high demand for new phones, I thought I would just keep mine and make do.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12842
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

I like my 4s, I think the 5 is too big!  I would like a better camera and brighter screen in the future, which brings me on to my next point.  In the future iPhones will get slimmer - much slimmer!

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 4 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

landzw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 09/06/2009 - 15:36
Posts: 638
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

If you look at Apple's new Macbook air then things normally filter down the line so things like faster flash and wireless 802.11ac will become standard on all Apple products, and looking at the improvement in battery life and keeping the same weight as the old 2012 model Apple obviously have made improvements to battery life.

If it is the case just the improvements to battery life will be a big step over its competitors

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 2954
RE: Apple iPhones: losing direction?

Pete68 wrote:

What is often overlooked with an Apple iPhone is that is will last for years and years much like their computers. The service providers offering constant upgrades means that people don't get to experience this longevity which is a part of the quality of any Apple device*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

* except for the home buttons

 

fixed it for you Smile

Pages

Log in or register to post comments