Have your say & ask the experts!

Ipad mini

22 replies [Last post]
Daniel 1's picture
Offline
Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 110

Now the ipad mini is out comes the burning question to buy of not to buy? For me personally its to sell to buy.  I much prefer the smaller ipad and I have personally always thought the 10inch ipad to be slightly on the larger side. So I will be selling my ipad and getting the ipad mini. Oh and just to add I get why apple did it to keep people interested in the larger ipad, but apple def could of fit the new chip in the ipad mini next year perhaps. 

gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 11449
RE: Ipad mini

Daniel 1 wrote:

Now the ipad mini is out comes the burning question to buy of not to buy? For me personally its to sell to buy.  I much prefer the smaller ipad and I have personally always thought the 10inch ipad to be slightly on the larger side. So I will be selling my ipad and getting the ipad mini. Oh and just to add I get why apple did it to keep people interested in the larger ipad, but apple def could of fit the new chip in the ipad mini next year perhaps. 

 

I can see the advantages of it but I have just bought an iPad 2 and iPhone 4s, so it is not for me.  Spec would have to get a lot better for me to be interested.

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

Daniel 1's picture
Offline
Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 110
RE: Ipad mini

The specs on the ipad mini are actually better than that on the ipad 2. And whilst we're on that subject, the ipad mini compared to the new ipad 4g other than the A6X chip and the retina display the specs are the same. Some people the new chip and the retina display might win them over but then again some people ain't bothered by it me being one of them.

 

gel
gel's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 11449
RE: Ipad mini

Daniel 1 wrote:

The specs on the ipad mini are actually better than that on the ipad 2. And whilst we're on that subject, the ipad mini compared to the new ipad 4g other than the A6X chip and the retina display the specs are the same. Some people the new chip and the retina display might win them over but then again some people ain't bothered by it me being one of them.

 

 

I think it is going to take something major for me to change.  The retina display does appeal to me but not enough to want me to change.  My iPad speed already seems fast to me too.  I also don't feel a constant need to upgrade to the newest thing either.

__________________

 

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

landzw's picture
Offline
Joined: 9 Jun 2009
Posts: 666
RE: Ipad mini

gel wrote:

Daniel 1 wrote:

The specs on the ipad mini are actually better than that on the ipad 2. And whilst we're on that subject, the ipad mini compared to the new ipad 4g other than the A6X chip and the retina display the specs are the same. Some people the new chip and the retina display might win them over but then again some people ain't bothered by it me being one of them.

 

 

I think it is going to take something major for me to change.  The retina display does appeal to me but not enough to want me to change.  My iPad speed already seems fast to me too.  I also don't feel a constant need to upgrade to the newest thing either.

I'm in the same boat, its only the iwant factor that makes me want a new iPad

__________________

My Cheap Cheerful Setup

LG 50PA650T ,Talk Talk TV , Sony BDP-S4100 ,Now TV & Sound Organisation AV Rack 

Bose Soundlink, Shuffle With Bose SIE2 Sport Headphones

AnotherJoe's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 Jun 2011
Posts: 783
RE: Ipad mini

A mini with an A5X 720p screen and around £250 would have been the logical move in my eyes.

 

 

__________________

Server Synology 12Bay DS2413+, Synology 8Bay DS1812+, Sky+HD 

Lounge Samsung UE55D9000, Denon DBT-3313, Onkyo TX-NR5009, Tannoy Arena Highline 500 LCR, ACRyan playon!HD mini2 

Reception Samsung UE46C8000, Panasonic BDP310, Sony STR-DA5400ES, KEF2005.3, ACRyan playon!HD mini2 

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2010
Posts: 2839
RE: Ipad mini

AnotherJoe wrote:

A mini with an A5X 720p screen and around £250 would have been the logical move in my eyes.

 

 

 

Would have been a ball ache for developers though.  

__________________

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2010
Posts: 2839
RE: Ipad mini

Daniel 1 wrote:

 Oh and just to add I get why apple did it to keep people interested in the larger iPad, but apple def could of fit the new chip in the iPad mini next year perhaps. 

Apple are actually earning a lot less money on the iPad mini compared to the full size iPads, lower margins.  This is due to the cut price android devices being sold at cost.  So they couldn't afford to put the A6 in it, and due to the lack of retina resolution the quad core GPU in the A5X is not needed.

__________________

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

relocated's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Jan 2012
Posts: 963
RE: Ipad mini

My wife was ready and waiting for the pre-order store to open and secured me a black one.  Delivery should be on Friday but that will depend on whether they use a decent courier.  Some, particularly Yodel, are edited useless round here.

For an Apple product I think the price is reasonable and it warms my heart that more of my money goes on product rather than profit for Apple.  The biggest draw for me is the 100% control of my iTunes ripped music that Android workarounds have never got completly right.

cheer

__________________

Apple Lossless - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40  also ATV3 into AVI ADM 9T [my wife's system]

and Grado SR80i

grdunn123's picture
Offline
Joined: 24 Sep 2007
Posts: 1448
RE: Ipad mini

relocated wrote:

My wife was ready and waiting for the pre-order store to open and secured me a black one.  Delivery should be on Friday but that will depend on whether they use a decent courier.  Some, particularly Yodel, are edited useless round here.

For an Apple product I think the price is reasonable and it warms my heart that more of my money goes on product rather than profit for Apple.  The biggest draw for me is the 100% control of my iTunes ripped music that Android workarounds have never got completly right.

cheer

Kinda says it all..'For an Apple product I think the price is reasonable'.

__________________

Samsung UE55F6510 LED TV, Pioneer SC-LX82, Panasonic DMP-BDT310, Monitor Audio Radius 270 fronts, GSLCR centre. RXFX rears, Dali E12F Sub, Sky HD 1TB, Van Damme and QED cabling throughout,Xbox 360,Apple Ipad 3, LG G2 Smartphone

Daniel 1's picture
Offline
Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 110
RE: Ipad mini

Whats the bet poeple with both the ipad (the larger one) and ipad mini find theres selves using there ipad mini the majority of the time. Time will tell. 

sound10's picture
Offline
Joined: 29 Jun 2010
Posts: 94
RE: Ipad mini

Hi everyone. Just a quick question and that is, does the new iPad mini use the same DAC as the new ipod touch and will they sound exactly the same through headphones. I'm in such a dilemma about which device to get, however sound quality is the most important factor. My impressions are from reading on the web that for music, the new ipod touch is the best option.

Thanks :) 

Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 10858
RE: Ipad mini

After being used to the retina display of the iPad and 4S, I don't think I could use an iPad Mini. I know that probably sounds a bit snobby, but the other half has a 3S and when I look at it now its like looking at a CRT TV from the 70's.

It is actually bigger than I expected - I thought it'd be half the size of the iPad, but looks more like 2/3rd's, which seems a nice size. I think I'll be sticking to what I have for the next year or so and seeing what happens, as increased competition is likely to push Apple into improving specs like increasing memory etc, and reducing pricing.

__________________

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2010
Posts: 2839
RE: Ipad mini

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

After being used to the retina display of the iPad and 4S, I don't think I could use an iPad Mini. I know that probably sounds a bit snobby, but the other half has a 3S and when I look at it now its like looking at a CRT TV from the 70's.

It is actually bigger than I expected - I thought it'd be half the size of the iPad, but looks more like 2/3rd's, which seems a nice size. I think I'll be sticking to what I have for the next year or so and seeing what happens, as increased competition is likely to push Apple into improving specs like increasing memory etc, and reducing pricing.

 

Yep, its because of the 4:3 aspect, makes it huge compared to a 16:9 7".  I agree about the resolution, I think I would by an iPad 4 rather than a mini.  Its not as bad as the iPhone 3GS as you hold it further away from your face, but don't quite think its high enough. I do think it was a smarter move than creating a third iPad resolution, as the App support is the iPads number 1 selling point.

__________________

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

daveh75's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 8214
RE: Ipad mini
__________________

 

 

landzw's picture
Offline
Joined: 9 Jun 2009
Posts: 666
RE: Ipad mini

I just had a read of that before coming onto this topic, it shows some pro's and cons with the iPad mini.

It makes you wonder if the iPad mini was a rush job in terms of the screen, just to get it out there in the market knowing that if Apple didn't they would lose alot of revenue to the 7inch tablet market.

If it sells which i believe it will, i can see a retina version next year 

__________________

My Cheap Cheerful Setup

LG 50PA650T ,Talk Talk TV , Sony BDP-S4100 ,Now TV & Sound Organisation AV Rack 

Bose Soundlink, Shuffle With Bose SIE2 Sport Headphones