Have your say & ask the experts!

Nexus 4 in Stock Today For £280!

75 replies [Last post]
bigboss's picture
RE: Nexus 4 in Stock Today For £280!

Don't try that! My brother-in-law has a shattered Nexus 4 after it fell from his jacket pocket.

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

bigboss's picture

daveh75 wrote:

Now and 'Gesture Typing' were the first things to be disabled on mine...

Why?  puzzled

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

scene's picture

bigboss wrote:

Don't try that! My brother-in-law has a shattered Nexus 4 after it fell from his jacket pocket.

I didn't really mean to try it with the iPad... I was relieved and surprised that it survived.

Hi Fi: Arcam A85, DV88 (CD only), Project Debut II, Sonos ZP90, AE Compact-1.  AV: Arcam AVR250, DV79, Sony BDP-S760, Monitor Audio Silver 8i, RS-LCR, RXFX, Sonos ZP90, Pioneer KRP500A.  2nd AV: Pioneer SX-SWR2, Dell Zino HD, KEF KHT2005.2 eggs, Sonos ZP90.  Cables: That Cable HDMI, Chord Crimsons, CAT6 backbone  Sonos S5s in the bedrooms

bigboss's picture

scene wrote:

bigboss wrote:

I didn't really mean to try it with the iPad... I was relieved and surprised that it survived.

I know. Nobody would throw their expensive devices down the stairs just to check their durability.  Smile

Did you get the bumper as well? If not, what have you got?

daveh75's picture

bigboss wrote:

daveh75 wrote:

Now and 'Gesture Typing' were the first things to be disabled on mine...

Why?  puzzled

Hated swype with a passion, and find Google's implementation equally unintuitive.

As for Now, i found it pointless, and a battery and data hog.

bigboss's picture

Actually, Google Now is proving very useful to my Mrs. Her commute to work can take anywhere between 38 mins & 1 hr 35 mins, depending on traffic. She simply swipes up the phone which tells her how long the commute would take. It's been accurate so far, although the real test will be when schools reopen.

I've just typed this whole passage with gesture typing & there hasn't been a mistake so far on my Nexus 7.

Shanka's picture

Hi,

Just seen a report saying they will be available mid February, in reality that means March or later will just have to wait and see, by that time who knows what else may be available.

Personally instead of changing my phone a Nexus 7 and keeping my htc may be a cheaper and better option. I didn't realise how 'cheap' the 7 was until T mobile called yesterday offering me a'fantastic' deal and then saw they are less than a nexus 4 and I would expect them to work better and with a larger screen.

Roksan Caspian M2 cd/amp ; Proac Studio 140 Mk 2

Ariston RD11s SME 111 AT95e Rega Fono MiniA2D Exposure XXV B&W CDM1NT

Sizzers's picture

The Nexus 4 is just a con to my eyes.

Are LG that incompetent that they could not match demand? Or did Google restrict it to create it....

A painter's got a canvas. The writer's got reams of empty paper. A musician has silence. - Keith Richards

---------------------

Putting out fire with gasoline

bigboss's picture

Sizzers wrote:

The Nexus 4 is just a con to my eyes.

Are LG that incompetent that they could not match demand? Or did Google restrict it to create it....

Google underestimated the demand:

http://www.businessinsider.com/demand-for-googles-nexus-4-phone-is-10x-w...

daveh75's picture

According to various articles, Google totally under estimated the demand.

http://www.businessinsider.com/demand-for-googles-nexus-4-phone-is-10x-w...

Sizzers's picture

Well I’m not being “Mr Cynical” but it does raise my eyebrows a bit.

Reports – rumours? - elsewhere suggest that LG gave up on the 4 a while ago ahead of new models to be announced at MWC. Anyway, after much research and agonising I’ve finally decided to order the Motorola Razr i tomorrow.

This will be my first venture into Android after many years with Nokia/Symbian and I’m really looking forward to the experience.

A painter's got a canvas. The writer's got reams of empty paper. A musician has silence. - Keith Richards

---------------------

Putting out fire with gasoline

scene's picture

Sorry bb, missed your post.... I got a wave hydro gel cover (in black) from amazon. Cost £2.99! Bargain. 

Hi Fi: Arcam A85, DV88 (CD only), Project Debut II, Sonos ZP90, AE Compact-1.  AV: Arcam AVR250, DV79, Sony BDP-S760, Monitor Audio Silver 8i, RS-LCR, RXFX, Sonos ZP90, Pioneer KRP500A.  2nd AV: Pioneer SX-SWR2, Dell Zino HD, KEF KHT2005.2 eggs, Sonos ZP90.  Cables: That Cable HDMI, Chord Crimsons, CAT6 backbone  Sonos S5s in the bedrooms

Scissor_digits's picture

Ordered my Nexus 4 mid-December at which point I was given a 7 week estimate for delivery. A couple of days ago my Google Play account was updated with an estimated delivery date of 30th Jan then yesterday afternoon I was email telling me it had been shipped.

Just checked my TNT tracking number and it's out for delivery but of course I'm in work so will either have to go to depot to collect or rearrange delivery Crying  

Naim Unitiqute 2 > Kef LS50

Synology DS214play NAS

gowiththeflow's picture

These reports refer to an interview with a French LG spokesperson.

In the actual interview, she said that Google had underestimated the demand in France, compared to Germany and the UK.

The complaint being that France got a smaller allocation than those other markets.

There is no shortage of supply of Nexus 4's. There are plenty available either from the networks, or from phone shops.

You can pick one up yourself today, or get them delivered next day.

It's only on Google Play where they've restricted supplies at the "low price".

Having access to a corporate discount, I could get  a 16gb Nexus 4 on a contract for £26pm, free phone and £90 up-front cashback.

Next day delivery.

Scissor_digits's picture

Is that £26 per month for a 2 year contract?

Personally the Nexus 4 appeals to me as the up front cost when buying direct from Google makes it a bargain when on PAYG. If I was offered a Nexus 4 on £26pm contract I'd probably pay a little more to get a Samsung Galaxy S3

Naim Unitiqute 2 > Kef LS50

Synology DS214play NAS