12 posts / 0 new
Last post
AnotherJoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/06/2011 - 13:50
Posts: 785
Android 4.0 Announced

(Lifted from a well known gadget website from last nights Google/Samsung event)

CONTENT REMOVED BY MODS for copyright reasons

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 3250
RE: Android 4.0 Announced

There is some nice looking features in Ice Cream Sandwich, but I think in the real world face recognition to unlock will be too slow.  My cameras will all face detect from photos, so I suspect (but obviously dont know for a fact) anyone could get in to your phone with a photograph.  Not that I think theifs would have pictures of me, I'm more concerned about 'friends' unlocking my phone with a facebook pic on their phone, then posting incrimonating statuses or setting alarms at 4 in the morning.

 

I like the translating voicemails to text, thats  a really useful feature.

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 17189
RE: Android 4.0 Announced

Paul Hobbs wrote:
I'm more concerned about 'friends' unlocking my phone with a facebook pic on their phone, then posting incrimonating statuses...

I never realised you were 13.

iPad Mini 3 (128GB) • Bowers & Wilkins P3 • Mac Mini • AirPort Extreme 802.11n • AirPlay • iTunes • Marantz M-CR603  • Rega R3

The_Lhc's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 13758
RE: Android 4.0 Announced

Paul Hobbs wrote:
(but obviously dont know for a fact)

Don't let that stop you though!

Main feature to catch my eye was the panoramic picture mode, that was the best thing about my old Nokia Nseries phones, used to enjoy taking pictures like that, taken Google long enough to bring that in.

AnotherJoe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 10/06/2011 - 13:50
Posts: 785
RE: Android 4.0 Announced

It was actually quite funny - during the demo - the unlock feature didnt work. It failed to recognise his photo as the lighting wasnt very good.

I liked the old method you used to see on some laptops where it used your fingerprint to unlock.

 

 

Ravey Gravey Davy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 16:47
Posts: 2694
RE: Android 4.0 Announced

The_Lhc wrote:

Paul Hobbs wrote:
(but obviously dont know for a fact)

Don't let that stop you though!

Main feature to catch my eye was the panoramic picture mode, that was the best thing about my old Nokia Nseries phones, used to enjoy taking pictures like that, taken Google long enough to bring that in.

I have a panoramic picture mode already in my Galaxy S  v2.3.3- is there something new in this?or am I missing something (probably yes)
The_Lhc's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 13758
RE: Android 4.0 Announced

Ravey Gravey Davy wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

Paul Hobbs wrote:
(but obviously dont know for a fact)

Don't let that stop you though!

Main feature to catch my eye was the panoramic picture mode, that was the best thing about my old Nokia Nseries phones, used to enjoy taking pictures like that, taken Google long enough to bring that in.

I have a panoramic picture mode already in my Galaxy S  v2.3.3- is there something new in this?or am I missing something (probably yes)

Dunno but my HTC doesn't have the option running on 2.3.3, so I guess Samsung added the feature themselves. This, I presume, is built into the OS by Google in 4.0.

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 3250
RE: Android 4.0 Announced

chebby wrote:

Paul Hobbs wrote:
I'm more concerned about 'friends' unlocking my phone with a facebook pic on their phone, then posting incrimonating statuses...

I never realised you were 13.

 

I wish!  a 16 year refund would be pretty awesome.  

ukdavej's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/10/2009 - 12:51
Posts: 540
RE: Android 4.0 Announced

Ice cream sandwich??? - is it just me or is that a really stupid name for a software version?

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 15000
RE: Android 4.0 Announced

Android versions have all been named after sweets; gingerbread, honeycomb, froyo (frozen yogurt). The latest version is called ice cream sandwich, also because it has brought both the tablet & the mobile platforms together, as in a sandwich.

The_Lhc's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 13758
RE: Android 4.0 Announced

bigboss wrote:
froyo (frozen yogurt)

Oh, THAT'S what that means? I thought someone had mis-heard a hobbit...

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 15000
RE: Android 4.0 Announced

The_Lhc wrote:

bigboss wrote:
froyo (frozen yogurt)

Oh, THAT'S what that means? I thought someone had mis-heard a hobbit...

:grin:

Log in or register to post comments