Have your say & ask the experts!

Which is the best HDMI Cable for around £50? (04/09/11)

13 replies [Last post]
clarkeyzere's picture

Hey people I'm new to these forums and to hdmi. I have recently bought a Sony Bravia TV. (http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tv-80-32-lcd/kdl-32ex723#pageType=ProductBenefits) Mine is the 37 inch version. I have it connected to my ps3 using a cheap hdmi cable and I'm looking to upgrade to better one. I am willing to spend around £50 on the cable, I know its not alot compared to some of the high end cables. So I would appreciate it if you could give me any advice on which to choose.

Thanks in advance to those that reply 

bearwolfblade's picture
RE: Which is the best HDMI Cable for around £50? (04/09/11)

Chord Company Supershield for a 3D tv for £50

ONKYO C-S5VL / ONKYO TX-8050 / MONITOR AUDIO RX2

bigboss's picture

Your TV is only 37 inches, & you don't have a dedicated home cinema system. You won't notice any difference between a cheap & expensive HDMI cable (in any case, I don't believe expensive HDMI cables make any difference based on my experience).

If you still want to check it yourself, buy it from someone who is willing to accept returns so that you can return it if you find no difference.

My Home Cinema  Pioneer KRP 500A, Yamaha RX-V1900, MA Radius R225HD LCR, R90HD rears, AW12 sub, Panasonic BD60, PS3, Boxee Box, Sky HD, Boxee Box, Logitech Harmony One, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Sonos ZP90

Bedroom Samsung UE32C6510, PS3 slim white, Apple TV, Sonos S5, Sonos ZP90, Audioengine 2, Oppo OPDV971H

Miscellaneous: Synology DS212J + 2 X WD Red 2TB drives, WD 1TB NAS, Sonos ZoneBridge, BT HH3 as modem & AirPort Extreme router

nick8858's picture

Totally agree with bigboss. I have a 37 inch telly (Sony) and tried 2 different cables, one cheap and cheerful, one expensive. Didn't see an ounce of difference. Consider the journey the TV signal takes. It gets intercepted by a piece of aluminium junk strapped to your chimney (aerial), travels 30 feet down the cheapest coax cable the aerial engineer could lay his hands on, gets terminated in a cheapo aluminium socket, then exits the socket and travels to your freeview box/TV, again terminated in a 50p aluminium plug. What then can the last 3 feet of cable (the HDMI) do to improve things one would ask?

Purely Digital Gear - Sonos, Buffalo NAS drive, Peachtree Decco2, Acoustic Energy AE1 Classic, Wharfedale SW150 sub, Jays V Jays phones.

hammill's picture

nick8858 wrote:

Totally agree with bigboss. I have a 37 inch telly (Sony) and tried 2 different cables, one cheap and cheerful, one expensive. Didn't see an ounce of difference. Consider the journey the TV signal takes. It gets intercepted by a piece of aluminium junk strapped to your chimney (aerial), travels 30 feet down the cheapest coax cable the aerial engineer could lay his hands on, gets terminated in a cheapo aluminium socket, then exits the socket and travels to your freeview box/TV, again terminated in a 50p aluminium plug. What then can the last 3 feet of cable (the HDMI) do to improve things one would ask?

I have a 50 inch Kuro and I tried 3 different cables, one 5* What Hifi and two free. Nobody in the house could tell the difference.

patrickvanham's picture

As with most others here, the cheap cable you already have is perfectly fine

| Panasonic TX-P50VT20 | Pioneer SC-LX83 | MA RX8+RXFX+RXC | NAD T535 | PS3 | XBOX360 Elite |

Trousertrumpet's picture

+1 for cheap cable. If it works then it works as well as any. It's a physical impossibility for one HDMI cable to have "deeper blacks" or "richer colour" than another. Errors show as banding, and it means you need a new cable, not one costing £50. There are some great, well made and insulated cables on ebay for under a tenner.

All that glitters is not gold.

bearwolfblade's picture

audioquest pearl hdmi £25

kilohawk's picture

as long as the HDMi cable you have now works, and is a tight enough fit so that i doesnt fall out, keep it. there is no difference in cables which transfare a digital signal from component to component. if the signal gets there with your cheap one, itl get there just the same as it would through a cable which costs £300, albeit just not a stylishly   Cool

ARCAM A65+ ARCAM CD72/MacBook Pro KEF iQ30 MISSION Stands and atlas 1,1-2 cables

iPhone, DENON AH-C 751/DENON AH-D1100

bearwolfblade's picture

nick8858 wrote:

and the flat-earthers strike again

bearwolfblade's picture

kilohawk wrote:

as long as the HDMi cable you have now works, and is a tight enough fit so that i doesnt fall out, keep it. there is no difference in cables which transfare a digital signal from component to component. if the signal gets there with your cheap one, itl get there just the same as it would through a cable which costs £300, albeit just not a stylishly   Cool

strange i thought you needed a 1.4 compatible hdmi for 3D to work which is different to the standard 1.3 hdmi. so not all cables are the same then

kilohawk's picture

....but the quality will stay the same  banging head against wall

ARCAM A65+ ARCAM CD72/MacBook Pro KEF iQ30 MISSION Stands and atlas 1,1-2 cables

bearwolfblade's picture

kilohawk wrote:

....but the quality will stay the same  banging head against wall

no 3D wont work with 1.3 hdmi. the original post said he had bought a new 3D tv and needed to upgrade it. something everyone else missed in their replys

kilohawk's picture

ah i see, i never looked at the link he posted  embarassed    doh!

in that case then, buy the cheapest v1.4 cable you can find with the fastest delivery  Tongue

EDITED BY MODS - please don't link to sites containing profanity