15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Perth.hifi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 06/07/2013 - 13:56
Posts: 7
qed xtube 400..or qed revelation..or chord odyssey..or atlas hyperr 2.0

Hi everyone. ... I'm new to this forum and hoping I can get your gI'mreat opinions and help in regards to my theatre setup where I'm going too install speaker cable which may not be changed in the future as it will be within the ceiling and walls. ... I'm needing to run approx 15-16m (50-55ft) runs to all three front speakers from rack to speakers.  I 'm keeping the lengths the same as in told that's the best setup. Would you all agree?  Due to the length in needing I've decided I'm best to spend some dollars on quality cables with banana terminals. Does anyone have any of the four cables I'm looking at?  Qed xtube 400 which is 4mm2 wire.  Qed Revelation which is 2mm2 wire.  Atlas Hyper 2.0 which is 2mm2 wire and finally Chord Odssey which is 3.00m2. All of these cables are not cheap.  To get 50m which plugs is going to cost about $1180 to $1750 delivered to perth from the UK. As I'm unable to trial any of the cables ive only been able to go off online reviews and what hifi reviews.  Please help.  My speakers are Focal Chorus 826v towers and matching Centre speaker.  I will have twin sub woofers for bass.  Was using only monster xp cable and the sound wasn't great and was fairly harsh but got used to it.  Since I've got long runs of cable I want to get it right and since I may not be able to access the cables again.  Needs to be right even more so.  There are other cables such as the Atlas equator 2.0 or qed silver anniversary xt which are a third of the price but unsure due to the length of cables I need to run.  These speakers are not bi wireable so only need the single run for now.  But may run s Second pair for future speaker upgrades but of something less pricey. .. please help. ..... Cheers.  Smile

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12101
RE: Which cable for AV set-up?

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Of the cables you've listed, my preference would be for Atlas; but:

- Much as I think cables make a difference, I think it's much more important for 2 channel. With AV, if the distances are great, you can end up spending so much, that you'd be better off spending it elsewhere.

- IMO. The rear speakers don't warrant expensive cable.

- I like Linn K20 (from ebay) as a good vfm cable.

- If you want to stick with Atlas, Element for the Rears and Equator for the Fronts would be fine (imo).

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Perth.hifi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 06/07/2013 - 13:56
Posts: 7
RE: qed xtube 400.or revelation.choryd odyssey..atlas hyper 2.0

Hi Cno Evil

Cheers for your reply. These cables are only for the front three speakers. My concern is the distance runs. Reason for selecting the qed xtube 400 is that the wire is 4mm2 thick.  Does that help with the long distance?  The Atlas cable you divested is a much lower level cable.  Why have you suggested this type?  Isn't the Atlas hyper 2 a better choice?   I'm  struggling to justify the costs.  Is it Pointless using such high end cables because of the distance in running these cables over 16m long? 

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12101
RE: qed xtube 400.or revelation.choryd odyssey..atlas hyper 2.0

Perth.hifi wrote:

Hi Cno Evil

Cheers for your reply. These cables are only for the front three speakers. My concern is the distance runs. Reason for selecting the qed xtube 400 is that the wire is 4mm2 thick.  Does that help with the long distance?  The Atlas cable you divested is a much lower level cable.  Why have you suggested this type?  Isn't the Atlas hyper 2 a better choice?   I'm  struggling to justify the costs.  Is it Pointless using such high end cables because of the distance in running these cables over 16m long? 

You are asking very subjective questions, to which I'm reticent to give a definitive answer.

Why not give John Carrick of Atlas cables a ring and see what he says, especially regarding cable thickness and distance (thicker can be better over longer distance). 

IMO. Better cables give an improvement, but only you can decide if it's worth the outlay. I'm fussier over 2 channel, which is why I personally would spend more on cables for it......but my cables are 1.5m for the Front and 1m for the Centre.

 

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Perth.hifi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 06/07/2013 - 13:56
Posts: 7
RE: qed xtube 400..revelation..or chord odyssey..atlas hyper 2.0

Fair enough.  I'm in Perth. It's frustrating as I can find anyone with these cables.  I'm relying on reviews.  I know that's bad but what choice do I have. How many Meyers or feet are your cable runs? 

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12101
RE: qed xtube 400..revelation..or chord odyssey..atlas hyper 2.0

Perth.hifi wrote:

Fair enough.  I'm in Perth. It's frustrating as I can find anyone with these cables.  I'm relying on reviews.  I know that's bad but what choice do I have. How many Meyers or feet are your cable runs? 

 

My cable runs:

Front  1.5m

Centre 1m

Rear   10m (approx)

With Focal speakers, I would avoid Silver Coated cable, which imo can add brightness.

As I say, why not ring John Carrick and see if he can help you out with a trial.....he's very helpful......and they do have a distributor in Australia.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

p_m_brown's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/02/2013 - 13:55
Posts: 301
RE: What cable...?

Hi there,

I used to use QED Silver Anniversary and liked it a lot. So much so that I kept hold of it for about 10 years!

My current cable is Chord Rumour and sounds similar to Odessey which I find a little too warm for my system. I am pretty sure that both come in an 'install' version which is identical albeit minus the outer jacket, specifically for hidden installations.

Perth.hifi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 06/07/2013 - 13:56
Posts: 7
RE: qed xtube 400.qed revelation.chord odyssey. atlas hyperr 2.0

IWhat is the worst that can happen running long speaker cables.  Eg is it worth spend up to $2000 for the front three speaker cables.  Eg.  The Qed xtube 400. Or am I bear spending less on the speaker cables and just keep it thicker cable. Eg 10awg. Also due to the distance am I better off running two pairs of cables for future bi wiring when I get new speakers.  The foals I have are not  biwire types. I've also been told rather than have long speaker cables in better off to havING short speakers cables but long interconnects.  Eg xlr or rca. Can I also ask is there a big dfference with xlr and rca.

I believe I'm stuck with the real placement.  I could have the amp near the speakers resulting in short speaker cables.  But works still need the rack elsewhere as I don't have enough space at the front for all the equipment. ..

Getting back to the speaker cables I've listed.  Any thoughts on the xtube400? I'm also considering Atlas equator 2.0 which is much nicer priced.  Is it possible to run two sets of speaker cables from amp to speaker without biwire posts?  

michael hoy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 06/10/2008 - 18:56
Posts: 1590
RE: qed xtube 400.qed revelation.chord odyssey. atlas hyperr 2.0

Look at this cable and save some money, excellent cable and does not cost the earth.

Perth.hifi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 06/07/2013 - 13:56
Posts: 7
RE: qed xtube 400..qed revelation.hord odyssey.tlas hyperr 2.0

I've been told on some forums to forget all the cables I've listed in this original post to use Belden 5T000 20awg cable instead which is like seven times cheaper than the xtube.  Also I have focal 826v speakers and don't want harsh sound.  I want prefect sound that is warm but extremely detailed. Am I wasting my money on these exotic cables?  I'm also told that silver coated cables will be too harsh on focal speakers. 

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12101
RE: qed xtube 400..qed revelation.hord odyssey.tlas hyperr 2.0

Perth.hifi wrote:

I've been told on some forums to forget all the cables I've listed in this original post to use Belden 5T000 20awg cable instead which is like seven times cheaper than the xtube.  Also I have focal 826v speakers and don't want harsh sound.  I want prefect sound that is warm but extremely detailed. Am I wasting my money on these exotic cables?  I'm also told that silver coated cables will be too harsh on focal speakers. 

This is more or less the same advice that you've got on here; (and why I prefer the Atlas / Linn over the others you've listed  ie. no silver coating).

If you are determind to spend a bit more on cable, it doesn't mean you have to go for the most expensive ones you've listed.....go for (at least) one standard down.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Perth.hifi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 06/07/2013 - 13:56
Posts: 7
RE: qed xtube 400..qed revelation.hord odyssey.tlas hyperr 2.0

CnoEvil wrote:

Perth.hifi wrote:

I've been told on some forums to forget all the cables I've listed in this original post to use Belden 5T000 20awg cable instead which is like seven times cheaper than the xtube.  Also I have focal 826v speakers and don't want harsh sound.  I want prefect sound that is warm but extremely detailed. Am I wasting my money on these exotic cables?  I'm also told that silver coated cables will be too harsh on focal speakers. 

This is more or less the same advice that you've got on here; (and why I prefer the Atlas / Linn over the others you've listed  ie. no silver coating).

If you are determind to spend a bit more on cable, it doesn't mean you have to go for the most expensive ones you've listed.....go for (at least) one standard down.

 

Thanks cnoevil.

I meant the ten white Belden cables which are 10awg. Nice and large.  Well glad everyone is seems to think the Belden cables are great.  No one has told me yet how they sound thou. Eg. Warm. Harsh. Balanced neutral.  Etc..With my focal speakers. 

Which Atlas cable do you recommend or other similar  priced. Keeping in mind the LONG DISTANCE OF 15-17M I need.  I've close to just ordering the Belden now bit want a second run of cables. I think as focals are not biwire able I might use the  for now but also pre wire with another run of cables. Maybe the Atlas equators 2.0. If so on such a distance will this size cable 2mm2 be sufficient for Treble?  If I'm running twin sub woofers is the cable to the bass terminals all that important? ??

So all the crap written about the exotic cables. Is it really all crap. It sure does make it difficult to pick. 

Ok so you recommend the Atlas. Was that the equator?  At least that is reasonably priced.  

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12101
RE: qed xtube 400..qed revelation.hord odyssey.tlas hyperr 2.0

I thought I'd made clear what I think and recommend. Try re-reading my above posts.

I have never heard Beldon cables, so I don't know what they sound like.

At no point have I said that exotic cables are a waste of time, only that it makes little financial sense in the context of your system imo.

The cable to the sub just needs to be well made.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

dsuciato's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 12/02/2013 - 12:41
Posts: 43
RE: atlas hyperr 2.0

Might be cheaper especially for delivery from Jakarta, Indonesia for Atlas. 

Perth.hifi's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: 06/07/2013 - 13:56
Posts: 7
RE: atlas hyperr 2.0

dsuciato wrote:

Might be cheaper especially for delivery from Jakarta, Indonesia for Atlas. 

 

Hi, cheers, from Jakarta, which site is this, i cant find any...Is it safe to purchase from Indonesia?

Log in or register to post comments