Have your say & ask the experts!

my new rack....in progress

13 replies [Last post]
ianov's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Oct 2012
Posts: 23

Dusted off my old system and put it back together temporarily...

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0529.jpg

so got the materials in for my new rack in work 2" solid ali for the legs and 30mm solid oak shelves http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0522.jpg legs made with top cap screwed on... http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0537.jpg pic of sample of shelf.. finished shelves will have matching rads in corners http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0538.jpg

assembly of base pieces and one shelf support and top cap http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0549.jpg base piece and top cap ready for polishing http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0550.jpg just have to polish all the metal now and then lacquer it then wait for shelves to arrive Smile

woollyjoe's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 395
RE: my new rack....in progress

Not sure why there are no responses to this yet.... It looks like your pretty handy with all this heavy metal, no pun intended. How does the cost work out?

toyota man's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Apr 2009
Posts: 1461
RE: my new rack....in progress

Very classy you must be very proud are you an engineer by any chance my Dad used to be a toolmaker He used to build live steam engines when he was younger in fact he could make anything he still has a couple of lathes and a milling machine although due to ill health he no longer uses them . nice job well done you could make your self a bespoke buisness I am sure you would do very well Smile smiling Smile

__________________

Musical fidelity M6i Roksan caspian M2 cdp Atc scm 40s Tellurium Q black speaker cable  chord  chamelian xlr graham slee novo sennheiser hd598

ianov's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Oct 2012
Posts: 23
RE: my new rack....in progress

Thanks guys Yes im a toolmaker by trade Smile well finally finished it and im delited with it tbh me and my wife could barely lift it and that was without any equipment lol here is the finished product excellent! timber getting oiled http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0577.jpg done by my wife excellent! finally assembled http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0580.jpg equipment installed http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0583.jpg http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0585.jpg i still have another shelf and bilets for more equipment if i splash out on a dab radio at some stage thanks for the compliments guys Smile oh the wood cost me about 200 euros from a family member and i got the aluminium free of charge through my work so incl timber the rack cost me a total of 200 all in not incl my labour of course and no i wudnt make another one lol

TheCaptain's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 Dec 2012
Posts: 53
RE: my new rack....in progress

That looks as good as a lot of the stands you can buy commercially,   Well done.

My only observation - you need to tidy the cables at the rear.

Building some of those to order could be quite a profitable sideline for you

__________________

toyota man's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Apr 2009
Posts: 1461
RE: my new rack....in progress

ianov wrote:

Thanks guys Yes im a toolmaker by trade Smile well finally finished it and im delited with it tbh me and my wife could barely lift it and that was without any equipment lol here is the finished product excellent! timber getting oiled http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0577.jpg done by my wife excellent! finally assembled http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0580.jpg equipment installed http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0583.jpg http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0585.jpg i still have another shelf and bilets for more equipment if i splash out on a dab radio at some stage thanks for the compliments guys Smile oh the wood cost me about 200 euros from a family member and i got the aluminium free of charge through my work so incl timber the rack cost me a total of 200 all in not incl my labour of course and no i wudnt make another one lol

well that is so really classy and would have cost a small fortune if some one had hand built it foryou nice one:clap: good job

__________________

Musical fidelity M6i Roksan caspian M2 cdp Atc scm 40s Tellurium Q black speaker cable  chord  chamelian xlr graham slee novo sennheiser hd598

ianov's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Oct 2012
Posts: 23
RE: my new rack....in progress

looking at cable tidys for it at the minute but not sure which one to go for... i bored holes in certain shelves for the wires as you can see here.... http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0582.jpg i suppose you could make a profit in makin them as a sideline but its not worth the hassle from my boss or my wife tbh....excellent!

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5951
RE: my new rack....in progress

Very nice indeed, third photo really shows it off well  Smile

__________________

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11426
RE: my new rack....in progress

ianov wrote:

looking at cable tidys for it at the minute but not sure which one to go for... i bored holes in certain shelves for the wires as you can see here.... http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0582.jpg i suppose you could make a profit in makin them as a sideline but its not worth the hassle from my boss or my wife tbh....excellent!

Wow!  Congratulations.  good job

Please describe any perceived sonic advantages (if there are any), over what you had before.

Cno

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

ianov's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Oct 2012
Posts: 23
RE: my new rack....in progress

I think the sound is a lot richer and warmer.. the solidity of the unit has to help imo... my next project is a couple of speaker stands for the front two speakers... gonna use the same timber as the hifi rack but build the centre pieces out of .5inch plate aluminium and mitre it to create a box...

then cnc out a design in the plates to make the design stand out...

i mite even install l.e.ds inside the box and insert some polycarbonate behind the cutouts...

i dunno wot to do lol

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11426
RE: my new rack....in progress

Will your speakers be on a suspended wooden floor or not?

Getting the Stands to suit the speakers is a bit of a dark art......some speakers like light wooden stands, others like heavy (often mass loaded) metal stands.

It is often worth researching what people have found works with your particular speakers.

- If your floor is made of concrete, it can often be better to couple your speakers to it, so as to sink the unwanted vibrations / resonance into it.

- If the floor is a suspended wooden one, you need to isolate the speakers from it..ie. dump the unwanted vibrations into the stand itself, and isolate the stand from the floor.

What I am trying to say is, do a little bit of research before putting a lot of time and expense into making compromised speaker stands.

Here is a thread that might help: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/low-mass-vs-high-mass-speaker-stands 

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Joined: 27 May 2009
Posts: 2366
RE: my new rack....in progress

An excellent job. Congratulations.

__________________

Mordaunt Short Mezzo System C - 8,5,1,9.Yamaha V2065. SonyS570. Panasonic TX-P42G20B., Sky HD 1TB. Garrard 86SB. PF30. Wii. WDTV Live. Harmony One. STAX300. QED cabling. Galaxy Tab 10.1

System Photos - http://s1051.photobucket.com/user/robinkidderminster/library/?sort=3&page=1

 Base trap Project -  http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/corner-base-trap-completed-project?page=1

ianov's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Oct 2012
Posts: 23
RE: my new rack....in progress RE: my new rack....in progress

Took your advise(finally) and got a cable tidy for it.. Didnt think it would do much for it but it really neated it up!! Good old tesco again Tongue http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0667.jpg http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0666.jpg

toyota man's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Apr 2009
Posts: 1461
RE: my new rack....in progress RE: my new rack....in progress

ianov wrote:

Took your advise(finally) and got a cable tidy for it.. Didnt think it would do much for it but it really neated it up!! Good old tesco again Tongue http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0667.jpg http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/iano_photo/IMAG0666.jpg

That looks so good  Smile Smile

__________________

Musical fidelity M6i Roksan caspian M2 cdp Atc scm 40s Tellurium Q black speaker cable  chord  chamelian xlr graham slee novo sennheiser hd598