Have your say & ask the experts!

What Hi-fi Blogs.

34 replies [Last post]
chebby's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15397

What plans are there for the What Hifi Blogs?

They are pretty dire nowadays. 

Are you going to let that section...  'wither on the vine'. or do something about it, or just rename it 'This Week In HD' and be done with it

 

 

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

Joe Cox's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 May 2007
Posts: 819
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.

How do you mean they are pretty dire?

What would you like to see in there, Chebby?

 

At the moment that section is used for hands-on reviews and DVD/BD reviews when we do them, which will ultimately move in to the reviews section, and the occasional opinion post - see Andy's CES trends round-up and my post on curved screens. We'd like to do more but that's the case with a lot of things. The section will ultimately become part of the news channel but would still be interested to know what you'd like to see. Opinion columns?

__________________

Editor, whathifi.com

Twitter TheRealJoeCox

Google+ Joe Cox

hammill's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 2387
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.
chebby's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15397
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.

Joe Cox wrote:

How do you mean they are pretty dire?

The vast majority of them are just 'The Week In HD' which are mostly just a subset of what we can find out from online listings, a Radio Times or our TV's own EPG.

A lot of the other 'blogs' are indistinguishable from 'News' items, or should be in the 'Reviews' section because they are, essentially, reviews.

Here are some examples of the kind of thing I miss...

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/1002160

... pick any three (or a dozen or whatever) and there is more insight, wit, flair and engagement than anything on the blog recently.

Some of those guides on setting up a NAS were genuinely funny and interesting to read even if you had no intention of setting one up yourself! (And evidently very useful to those who did.)

The company visits and company histories ("Industry insider") were excellent. Articles about various milestones in hi-fi and broadcasting and pioneering figures in the industry were covered so well that I have them bookmarked.

I haven't bookmarked anything from the blogs for ages.

Without being specific I just want something to read in the blogs now-and-then  that looks like it was written by someone who gives a t##s!

http://www.whathifi.com/blog/90-years-after-its-first-transmission-bbc-radio-%E2%80%93-from-arthur-burrows-to-danny-baker

 

 

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

Joe Cox's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 May 2007
Posts: 819
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.

Well we all give a toss, but cheers Wink

Andrew obviously had a flair for blogs such as those and I agree with you they were always a good read but there's also the hard truth that hardly anyone read the majority of them, so we have to be realistic with how we use our time. We definitely have it down as something to do more of, more often, so will bear it in mind.

__________________

Editor, whathifi.com

Twitter TheRealJoeCox

Google+ Joe Cox

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Jan 2008
Posts: 22655
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.

They may not have got as many clicks, no, but what was the time on the page? Now that you have a cool MPU that follows you down the page, maybe somebody actually reading something interesting for a while longer would be more attractive for the placer of that MPU? Dunno your numbers any more so can't really comment, but I was always of the view that interesting content would bubble to the top.

I'd rather read an opinion piece (even if it's written by a nob like me) than the news item on the Denon DAC, for example, which was...uninformative. YMMV.

__________________

Cambridge Audio StreamMagic 6  |  751BD  |  651A  |  Diamond 9.1 | Minx Xi | Sonos Play:3

Moderator. mail: john.duncan.whf at the mail of g dot com

spiny norman's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 761
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.

Joe Cox wrote:
Andrew obviously had a flair for blogs such as those and I agree with you they were always a good read but there's also the hard truth that hardly anyone read the majority of them, so we have to be realistic with how we use our time. We definitely have it down as something to do more of, more often, so will bear it in mind.

Hi Joe,

If you put your mind to it, do you think you could be even more patronising? 

As a long-time reader of Mr Everard's excellent blog-pieces and industry analysis, I am sure he'll be very grateful that, after all those years of wasting his and your time with that nonsense that clearly no-one ever read, you found a way to show him the error of his ways. Is that why he left the magazine, since apparently the circumstances seem shrouded in mystery?

Clearly he really should have been writing 'All you need to know' articles littered with errors and incomprehension, reviews whose impenetrability is matched only by their flimsiness, and news stories clearly written by school-leavers. Primary school leavers.

However, good to know that despite the fact the blogs were stopped because they apparently didn't have any readers, you're planning to do more of them as part of your more realistic time-management. Makes perfect sense to me.

Anyway, any chance you could persuade any more of the mysterious WHSV cabal to show their faces on the forum more than once in a blue moon – hi, Ketan. Or is their contempt for the readers even greater than yours?

If that's asking too much, maybe you could simply suggest to them that they might try to show some evidence of giving a d@mn about their subject, if their writing skills extend that far.

Thanks, and bye

__________________

'And so on February 22nd 1966, at Luton airport...'

Joe Cox's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 May 2007
Posts: 819
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.

It wasn't mean to be remotely patronising, just an honest answer. The blogs haven't been 'stopped'. I'll pass on all your feedback.

Spiny Norman - so you're slagging off everything we do and all our writers... and then asking if they'll come on the forums more? rolling on the floor laughing

__________________

Editor, whathifi.com

Twitter TheRealJoeCox

Google+ Joe Cox

spiny norman's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 761
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.

Joe Cox wrote:
Spiny Norman - so you're slagging off everything we do and all our writers... and then asking if they'll come on the forums more? rolling on the floor laughing

No, of course, it was a hilarious idea, hence your 'rofl'. And attacking your readers when they complain is a much better use of your precious resources, isn't it?

Just thought it might give them a way of showing they know what they're talking about and are engaged with their readers, but probably hardly anyone would read that. Stick to the fourth-hand new stories taken from tweets by unknown sources; much safer plan of action.

Afetr all, you clearly know best, as your responses on this thread make abundantly clear.

__________________

'And so on February 22nd 1966, at Luton airport...'

professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11012
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.

spiny norman wrote:

Joe Cox wrote:
Spiny Norman - so you're slagging off everything we do and all our writers... and then asking if they'll come on the forums more? rolling on the floor laughing

No, of course, it was a hilarious idea, hence your 'rofl'. And attacking your readers when they complain is a much better use of your precious resources, isn't it?

Do you read the magazine spiny?

 

spiny norman's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 761
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.

professorhat wrote:
Do you read the magazine spiny?

Yes: it has wordies on it telling you which monthy it is and what's in the magaziny. Have you gone all Russell Brand, prof?

Seriously, though, yes: have been a reader of the magazine for several decades, and old enough to remember when Haymarket sustained three hi-fi magazines pitched at various levels, and had real enthusiasts onboard like Kettle, Hughes, Steward, Howard, Gold and even that chap who became the DG of the BBC for about 10min.

OK, so some of them embraced some of the more loony audio dogma of the time, but at least they always wrote engaging, entertaining stuff, even if the brief-lived experiment in filling the magazines with motoring writers blathering on about the expensive systems they'd bought because they were so well paid did put the teeth on edge a bit.

However, I read the 'last man standing' less frequently than once I did, because a) it only takes about 15min cover to cover, b) most of it is on the website for free, and c) every time I do read it I do so with a heavier heart at the level of howlers, poor writing and grammar, and sheer incompetence on display. Somewhere in there is a really good magazine fighting to get out, or maybe it's too late now.

That's what makes me sad. And just a bit angry. 

__________________

'And so on February 22nd 1966, at Luton airport...'

professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11012
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.

spiny norman wrote:

professorhat wrote:
Do you read the magazine spiny?

Yes: it has wordies on it telling you which monthy it is and what's in the magaziny. Have you gone all Russell Brand, prof?

[Whoosh] ... not a clue what you're on about...

spiny norman wrote:

Seriously, though, yes: have been a reader of the magazine for several decades, and old enough to remember when Haymarket sustained three hi-fi magazines pitched at various levels, and had real enthusiasts onboard like Kettle, Hughes, Steward, Howard, Gold and even that chap who became the DG of the BBC for about 10min.

OK, so some of them embraced some of the more loony audio dogma of the time, but at least they always wrote engaging, entertaining stuff, even if the brief-lived experiment in filling the magazines with motoring writers blathering on about the expensive systems they'd bought because they were so well paid did put the teeth on edge a bit.

However, I read the 'last man standing' less frequently than once I did, because a) it only takes about 15min cover to cover, b) most of it is on the website for free, and c) every time I do read it I do so with a heavier heart at the level of howlers, poor writing and grammar, and sheer incompetence on display. Somewhere in there is a really good magazine fighting to get out, or maybe it's too late now.

That's what makes me sad. And just a bit angry. 

Okay, it just seemed weird to me that you might actually read the magazine, given the vitriol I've seen you spew at WHF and its staff on the forum over time. I see now that perhaps it's meant to "shock" them into making a magazine more to your tastes? Good luck with that.

 

spiny norman's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 761
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.

professorhat wrote:
[Whoosh] ... not a clue what you're on about...

You know, the spiny of the magaziny: the bit that holds all the pagies together. You asked whether I read it.

professorhat wrote:
Okay, it just seemed weird to me that you might actually read the magazine, given the vitriol I've seen you spew at WHF and its staff on the forum over time. I see now that perhaps it's meant to "shock" them into making a magazine more to your tastes? Good luck with that

I started out in hi-fi reading the magazine, probably before most of the current bunch producing it was even born. It guided me to buy my first system, enthused me to improve it with tips and hints, got me to the point where I wanted to read more and explore other magazines (at one point I was buying half a dozen or so a month, and couldn't wait for lunch-breaks, etc to read every page of them), and helped me develop a life-long enthusiasm.

You put your hand on your heart (or on your hat) and tell me you think the current woeful publication could do any of that. 0r even tries to. There's a lot of talk about how the hi-fi industry is in decline, and young people grow up thinking an iPod and a tinny £100 Bluetooth speaker is all they need for great sound: I think WHSV's role in the creation of that situation, and the devaluation of the term 'hi-fi' to mean almost anything that lights up and makes a noise, is hugely underestimated.

__________________

'And so on February 22nd 1966, at Luton airport...'

chebby's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15397
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.

Joe Cox wrote:

... I agree with you they were always a good read but there's also the hard truth that hardly anyone read the majority of them...

That's disappointing to know.

Do you think that's because the 'Industry Insider' articles were not given enough prominence?

For instance,  once they had 'rolled off' the first couple of pages, older blogs were almost impossible to find, using the problematic site search tool, and only easier to find on Google if you knew (or remembered) relevant subject keywords / author etc.

Do you think it might be because the readership / demographic are less willing to read a lengthy article nowadays (no matter how interesting it is) because it won't all fit on one tablet screen and can't be 'consumed' in less than a minute?

If the latter, is it always right to pander to the taste for bitesize 'blogettes' for those who can't get their heads around anything much longer than a few tweets and a picture?

To be fair, I suppose that's not your job. The 'lowest common denominator' approach must kick in with a vengeance when trying to sell advertising space next to content that requires a tad more concentration than the attention span of a Mayfly with ADHD Smile

Maybe I just have to be grateful that AE wrote such a great body of work over the last  six years or so and 'cherry pick'  the best ones to move onto a memory stick for future (private) enjoyment and reference.

 

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

professorhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 11012
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.

spiny norman wrote:

professorhat wrote:
[Whoosh] ... not a clue what you're on about...

You know, the spiny of the magaziny: the bit that holds all the pagies together. You asked whether I read it.

Ah! Because I missed a comma - most amusing!

spiny norman wrote:

professorhat wrote:
Okay, it just seemed weird to me that you might actually read the magazine, given the vitriol I've seen you spew at WHF and its staff on the forum over time. I see now that perhaps it's meant to "shock" them into making a magazine more to your tastes? Good luck with that

I started out in hi-fi reading the magazine, probably before most of the current bunch producing it was even born. It guided me to buy my first system, enthused me to improve it with tips and hints, got me to the point where I wanted to read more and explore other magazines (at one point I was buying half a dozen or so a month, and couldn't wait for lunch-breaks, etc to read every page of them), and helped me develop a life-long enthusiasm.

You put your hand on your heart (or on your hat) and tell me you think the current woeful publication could do any of that. 0r even tries to. There's a lot of talk about how the hi-fi industry is in decline, and young people grow up thinking an iPod and a tinny £100 Bluetooth speaker is all they need for great sound: I think WHSV's role in the creation of that situation, and the devaluation of the term 'hi-fi' to mean almost anything that lights up and makes a noise, is hugely underestimated.

Wow, I'm sure they'd be flattered by your estimation of their influence over the "yoof today". I'm also equally sure you're wrong, but there you go.

My point really was if you are trying to provide helpful, constructive criticism to the WHF staff in order to help the poor uneducated souls (who apparently haven't even managed to struggle their way through secondary school) create a better magazine / website, I don't think you've quite got the tone of your posts right.

If on the other hand, you want to appear as an abusive t**t, then carry on as you are. 

 

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11427
RE: What Hi-fi Blogs.

spiny norman wrote:

You put your hand on your heart (or on your hat) and tell me you think the current woeful publication could do any of that. 0r even tries to. There's a lot of talk about how the hi-fi industry is in decline, and young people grow up thinking an iPod and a tinny £100 Bluetooth speaker is all they need for great sound: I think WHSV's role in the creation of that situation, and the devaluation of the term 'hi-fi' to mean almost anything that lights up and makes a noise, is hugely underestimated.

I suspect it has been "watered down"  with horizons that have been expanded, to appeal to a wider audience, and as such has lost it's mojo for the older enthusiast, who is looking for a much deeper insight and more eclectic range of  2 channel products. It's a hard balance to get right and greatly depends on what audience is being targeted.

Like you, I find little appeal in the current format.....but there are other more specialist publications which cover that.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide