35 posts / 0 new
Last post
plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16683
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

Thanks Andrew and Andy.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Ravey Gravey Davy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 16:47
Posts: 2680
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

As usual, when a top accountant in a large company sees a way to maximise profitability(ie reduce overheads),the net result doesn't filter through till several months later-at which point it is argued quite easily the two events are not related.

Andrew Everard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 weeks ago
Joined: 30/05/2007 - 12:34
Posts: 28836
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

Ravey Gravey Davy wrote:
As usual, when a top accountant in a large company sees a way to maximise profitability(ie reduce overheads),the net result doesn't filter through till several months later-at which point it is argued quite easily the two events are not related.

Not terribly sure what bearing that observation has on the matter at hand, given that the site seems to have found its own ways to make life difficult for us all with no intervention from management, bean-counters or Satan's little helpers...

Ravey Gravey Davy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 16:47
Posts: 2680
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

Andrew Everard wrote:

Ravey Gravey Davy wrote:
As usual, when a top accountant in a large company sees a way to maximise profitability(ie reduce overheads),the net result doesn't filter through till several months later-at which point it is argued quite easily the two events are not related.

Not terribly sure what bearing that observation has on the matter at hand, given that the site seems to have found its own ways to make life difficult for us all with no intervention from management, bean-counters or Satan's little helpers...

Interesting alteration to your original post,which says to me it's better to hide behind the canvas rather than face the bigger picture, but hey, that happens everywhere.

bob.g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 30/10/2009 - 11:19
Posts: 417
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

I'm not sure what my anti-virus software (Norton) is doing but I've never had issues with any adverts or rollovers on this site. In fact I'd rate it as one of the best I visit wrt pop ups and rollovers etc. I do occasionally have issues with not recognised as 'logged in' but that's common and I can cope with that.

psurquhart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 15/11/2010 - 13:49
Posts: 598
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

kevinJ wrote:

I know the feeling. That's why I hardly reply anymore.

Most of the time, after I typed a reply and hit the "save" button, I first need to fill out some hardly readable characters and need to "save" again. And then the whole reply is gone.

I don't even think about giving it another try.

 

The big pop up adds are VERY ANNOYING. But we don't pay for it, the adders do, so I doubt they're going to take them away. 

Bugging a few subscribers that buy the magazine isn't such a big issue as losing a big sponsor.

 

I wonder how many times I'll have to post this message.

 

Agreed.

 

So flippin annoying - please please please sort this out What Hi Fi.

Disable rich-text.

 

Enable rich-text.

 

Allow html.

 

I might be a bit simpleton typing / pc wise but all this means nothing to me (and no I do not care to want to know either thanks).

 

I just want to be able to post something on the 1st attempt.

 

I too am fed up with over complications.

 

What Hi Fi - please take note.

 

Doubt this will work but ......:wall:    

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23071
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

Ooo will you look at that...

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23071
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

kevinJ wrote:

I first need to fill out some hardly readable characters

Not any more.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

Andrew Everard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 weeks ago
Joined: 30/05/2007 - 12:34
Posts: 28836
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

Ravey Gravey Davy wrote:
Interesting alteration to your original post,which says to me it's better to hide behind the canvas rather than face the bigger picture, but hey, that happens everywhere.

Expansion, not alteration, in an attempt to clariify my explanation.. Which says to me it's better to try to consider the size of the catflap needing to be constructed, rather than being blinded by speculation about the myhtical origins of the oncoming cat. Or something.

But please rest assured no-one is hiding behind, or in denial about, anything. Rather, as Andy C has said, we share your frustration, and are stepping up the pressure to get things put right.

And once again, apologies to those users experiencing problems.

toyota man's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 22/04/2009 - 22:55
Posts: 1631
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

CnoEvil wrote:

I often find myself "logged out" after pressing "save".

+1

Musical Fidelity M6500i Musical FidelityM6 CDP ATC SCM 40s Cord Chameleon plus XLRs Tellurium Q Black speaker cables

Ravey Gravey Davy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 16:47
Posts: 2680
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

Andrew Everard wrote:

Ravey Gravey Davy wrote:
Interesting alteration to your original post,which says to me it's better to hide behind the canvas rather than face the bigger picture, but hey, that happens everywhere.

Expansion, not alteration, in an attempt to clariify my explanation.. Which says to me it's better to try to consider the size of the catflap needing to be constructed, rather than being blinded by speculation about the myhtical origins of the oncoming cat. Or something.

But please rest assured no-one is hiding behind, or in denial about, anything. Rather, as Andy C has said, we share your frustration, and are stepping up the pressure to get things put right.

And once again, apologies to those users experiencing problems.

I appreciate that my approach isn't particularly a forum discussion rather than a chat over a beer  so I'll leave it there but I would also appreciate that moderator expansions are added to posts rather than altered from the original.(obviously forumites don't have that privilege)

Ironically as I tried to quote your post,I was logged out,so revenons aux moutons.

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23071
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

MajorFubar wrote:

kevinJ wrote:

The big pop up adds are VERY ANNOYING. But we don't pay for it, the adders do, so I doubt they're going to take them away. 

But...like I said in the other recent thread about ads, it doesn't have to be that way. There's a million and one amateur forums out there run on PhP or vBulletin, they don't seem to need half as many pop-up ads as this to stay afloat, and they don't have the same technical issues.  Someone presumably at Haymarket has consciously decided that the forum should runs the way it does, including deciding on the number and type of adverts needed to keep the thing financially afloat. Obviously they've not consciously decided to invent the technical issues! But what I'm saying is, it's not like there isn't a solution to either of the site's two main problems (the technical issues and too many ads), it's just, I suspect, there's far too much red tape in the way of adopting one.

I forgot about this, sorry.

We thought long and hard about the software to use for forums when we rebuilt the site a couple of years ago.  As those who have paid any attention to my posts since, you may know that the site is build on Drupal (v6 currently, FWIW), an open-source content management system (CMS) that has plug-in, community-provided modules to provide extra functionality, such as this forum. 

There were times (usually at 4am when I was migrating half a million pieces of user generated content and a hundred thousand users) when I wish we had used an off-the-shelf product (which as you point out are available for a couple of hundred bucks, so cost wasn't the issue), but the advantages offered by the fact that this forum is actually part of the website - as opposed to a completely different one with a subdomain tacked on it to make it look as if it's the same as would have been the case if we chose a different product - are manifold;

- you get rid of the need for a subdomain, as was the case before (community.whathifi.com), which offers you some SEO juice (though not a huge amount tbh, and you could probably get round it);

- all the content is in one website (for example reviews, forum posts, blog posts, reviews comments and forum comments are all the same thing technically), so you can maintain one search index;

- content can be linked more easily (we could attach product tags to forum posts, for example, which if we so wished could give us some nice contextual advertising hints, though you'll notice we don't);

- user management is unified across the entire site

- theming of the site is global - if it wasn't, they'd have had to do the redesign work twice: once for the forum and once for the rest of the site

- it offers a single administration point for editors/admins

- there are no hoops to jump through to get the forum to 'integrate' with the rest of the site in terms of URLs, links, blah - it 'just works' (technical issues notwithstanding)

Is that clearer?

Any 'technical issues' the site might have are to me just defects that need to go on the list, because to my mind there isn't a while lot needs fixing - sporadic logging out appears to be some sort of cookie expiration problem, double posting I don't know, blank posting I don't know, the sh-tty 64 character thing would take about ten minutes to fix the javascript that auto-populates the title field of replies (or the title could be removed altogether, I'm not sure it serves much purpose), etc.  Any more you can think of?

Note that the tech team aren't exactly huge, and they run about fifteen other websites as well, so it's usually a case of joining the queue...

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3556
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

Really useful post that John, thanks for taking the time and effort to post it.

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23071
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

You're welcome. It's also worth pointing out that the forum is not the most-frequented part of the website (surprising as that may seem to those of us who frequent it), and therefore is not necessarily the area that would get first attention when things are wrong with it.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com
Kit in state of flux

AlmaataKZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 07/01/2009 - 11:48
Posts: 2156
RE: Posting is becoming very frustrating.

I just made a post... What a frustrating experience that was!

i had to spend about 25 min (excluding typing the post) getting it right' trying both from ipad and win pc -  and it is still all over the place.

if I knew it would take that long I would not have bothered at all.

please sort it out.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments