47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Andy Clough's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 27/04/2004 - 16:13
Posts: 6667
Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

We thought we’d let you in on a little secret: we’ve been busy developing a shopping site for whathifi.com, and we’re now ready to release the beta version for testing.

We’re only releasing this to our Forum users at this stage as part of the development process. We’d like to invite you, our most regular users, to take part, posting any feedback on this Forum thread so we can pass it back to the developers.

Please bear in mind that the site is still in beta: we know, for example, that certain categories such as iPod/Android docks are not yet included – we’re working on adding them as soon as possible. You may detect some other bugs. We’ll be pulling together a list of necessary updates/fixes in due course, but don’t expect them to happen overnight.

Initially we’re only using feeds that are dominated by mainstream online retailers, so don’t be surprised if the range of products on offer seems limited. We’ll be adding more products from more specialist retailers over the coming weeks.

So take a look around, check out the deals on our five-star products, search by brand, price or star rating and let us know if you spot any errors or something that you think could be improved. Please include a URL link if you find anything.

You can view the whathifi.com shop at www.whathifi.com/shop
 

Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 22993
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

Ooo...

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12720
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

Looks very nice!  :clap:

I was looking at Synology DS212, & 

1) Only the price is shown without any mention if it's with hard drive or not (& if it come with 1TB or 2TB storage, if it does come with an HDD). So the comparison is not accurate.

2) The price shown is at least 2 days old, because this is now £224 at Amazon, yet it shows £219.

http://www.whathifi.com/shop/search.aspx?keywords=synology-diskstation-ds212+%24n80721

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16251
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

Looks impressive. I'll take a closer look over the coming days.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

scene's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 25/09/2008 - 12:48
Posts: 2974
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

Just had a quick look (at work - supposed to do some :silenced: ) and looks good - will have a better look later tonight (as Mrs. Scene is out....)

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 2958
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

bigboss wrote:

Looks very nice!  :clap:

I was looking at Synology DS212, & 

1) Only the price is shown without any mention if it's with hard drive or not (& if it come with 1TB or 2TB storage, if it does come with an HDD). So the comparison is not accurate.

2) The price shown is at least 2 days old, because this is now £224 at Amazon, yet it shows £219.

http://www.whathifi.com/shop/search.aspx?keywords=synology-diskstation-ds212+%24n80721

Is the DS212J just the disk free version?  Ebuyer has it at £159, was thinking of getting one

 

http://www.ebuyer.com/288176-synology-ds212j-2-bay-nas-enclosure-ds212j?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CKq1q-qyo7ECFcQNfAodJE2Gfw

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 2958
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

Site looks great btw  Smile

relocated's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 20/01/2012 - 12:40
Posts: 978
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

Looks well.  The front page does not fit fully on my 10" netbook, the far right prices are not fully shown yet there is spare room [blank space] over on the far left.  Follow-on pages are fully shown .

Apple lossless - Netgear Nighthawk - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40.  

AVI ADM 9T used in my wife's system

GSB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 17 hours ago
Joined: 27/03/2011 - 19:54
Posts: 1355
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

Do you do credit? :shifty:

:cheers: great idea guys :clap:

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12720
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

Paul Hobbs wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Looks very nice!  :clap:

I was looking at Synology DS212, & 

1) Only the price is shown without any mention if it's with hard drive or not (& if it come with 1TB or 2TB storage, if it does come with an HDD). So the comparison is not accurate.

2) The price shown is at least 2 days old, because this is now £224 at Amazon, yet it shows £219.

http://www.whathifi.com/shop/search.aspx?keywords=synology-diskstation-ds212+%24n80721

Is the DS212J just the disk free version?  Ebuyer has it at £159, was thinking of getting one

 

http://www.ebuyer.com/288176-synology-ds212j-2-bay-nas-enclosure-ds212j?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CKq1q-qyo7ECFcQNfAodJE2Gfw

No, I'm looking at DS212. DS212J was £157 on Amazon only last week. The prices of NAS drives have gone up ever since WD's NAS specific Red hard drive was released.

woodster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 days ago
Joined: 24/06/2007 - 15:10
Posts: 329
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

Some very odd prices and related products issues on the sonos zp90 product page! Accept this is beta, great idea though. The forum often inspires me into the thought process of "I fancy one of those, I wonder how much that might be?" I assume you may well have links from review pages/ articles etc?

simonlewis's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 15/04/2008 - 10:17
Posts: 3441
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

I don't see the point of this, wouldn't it just be easier to use pricerunner, a bigger selection too !!

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12720
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

simonlewis wrote:

I don't see the point of this, wouldn't it just be easier to use pricerunner, a bigger selection too !!

The point is exactly why pricerunner exists! WHF has a loyal base of forumites who will feel better to stick within trusted areas. Even AV forums has one (with price comparisons of even beauty products like hair straighteners!  :O )

I can only imagine that there will be a classifieds section in the future within this, for us to sell our wares.  :cheers:

Alec's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 08/10/2007 - 21:06
Posts: 6056
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

bigboss wrote:

simonlewis wrote:

I don't see the point of this, wouldn't it just be easier to use pricerunner, a bigger selection too !!

The point is exactly why pricerunner exists! WHF has a loyal base of forumites who will feel better to stick within trusted areas. Even AV forums has one (with price comparisons of even beauty products like hair straighteners!  :O )

I can only imagine that there will be a classifieds section in the future within this, for us to sell our wares.  :cheers:

I'd stop imagining for now if I were you.

GSB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 17 hours ago
Joined: 27/03/2011 - 19:54
Posts: 1355
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

bigboss wrote:

simonlewis wrote:

I don't see the point of this, wouldn't it just be easier to use pricerunner, a bigger selection too !!

The point is exactly why pricerunner exists! WHF has a loyal base of forumites who will feel better to stick within trusted areas. Even AV forums has one (with price comparisons of even beauty products like hair straighteners!  :O )

I can only imagine that there will be a classifieds section in the future within this, for us to sell our wares.  :cheers:

It may even encourage retailers to offer a substantial WHFI discount,when the appropriate code is entered,obtained from WHFI at an anual cost Wink

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12720
RE: Introducing the What Hi-Fi? shopping site (beta)

It'll become easier to read a review, & click a link on the same page for price comparison. WHF isn't earning any revenue by publishing reviews freely online. People read the review to decide on the purchase & then go on to pricerunner for the best deal. Why should WHF miss out on this, especially when it has been the deciding factor for the product?

Pages

Log in or register to post comments