19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Teo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2013 - 18:46
Posts: 106
Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?
English

Found a couple of positive reviews but it seems that there are not very well known by most ...Did anybody heard one of them ?

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 3200
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

Yes I have heard it and it is a cracking little device. Not much to look at, granted, but it's thesound that it produces that matters.

A good buy if you can find one. Are you in the UK?

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen speakers.

DIB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 21/05/2009 - 21:07
Posts: 2353
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

I recently had a Rothwell Rialto on a weeks home demo, along with a Graham Slee Reflex M phono amp.

Both extremely good amps, but the Graham Slee with upgraded PSU came in at over £300 more than the Rialto, and to my ears was no better.

Rothwell Audio do a cheaper model, the Simplex. This is MM only, and I checked with Rothwell and they confirmed that it is identical to the Rialto minus the MC stage.

As good as both the Rothwell and Graham Slee amps were, I thought that my internal Creek phonoboard held its own, and so I would also suggest that you consider the Creek OBH-15 Mk2 as an alternative option. Retails for approx the same price as the Rothwell Simplex.

 

Around this price range it is highly competitive, and I think there is tremendous choice of phono amps.

 

.

Creek/ProJect/SBT/Epos

Teo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2013 - 18:46
Posts: 106
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

Thank you for your answer ,Al ears , I live in Romania .

I want to upgrade my 640P wich is doing a good job , after all ,for the money I paid for , but I'd like a jump in sound quality for not too much money. I need LOMC for my Benz ,but I'd like to have MM capability too . Other contender would be the iFi IPhono (better price , flexibility of settings ). The Graham Slee Era V is MM only ,  and the Heed Quasar MM (even better priced ) supose both a good SUT to use my Benz and I don't afford one. Sadly , I can't listen none of these :wall:

DIB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 21/05/2009 - 21:07
Posts: 2353
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

Teo wrote:

Thank you for your answer ,Al ears , I live in Romania .

I want to upgrade my 640P wich is doing a good job , after all ,for the money I paid for , but I'd like a jump in sound quality for not too much money. I need LOMC for my Benz ,but I'd like to have MM capability too . Other contender would be the iFi IPhono (better price , flexibility of settings ). The Graham Slee Era V is MM only ,  and the Heed Quasar MM (even better priced ) supose both a good SUT to use my Benz and I don't afford one. Sadly , I can't listen none of these :wall:

 

Graham Slee do a home loan scheme, that's what I did, and all it cost me was the P & P both ways.

 

I realise you are in Romania, but go on the Graham Slee website and check out if you could organise something similar for your country.

 

.

Creek/ProJect/SBT/Epos

Teo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2013 - 18:46
Posts: 106
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

DIB wrote:

I recently had a Rothwell Rialto on a weeks home demo, along with a Graham Slee Reflex M phono amp.

Both extremely good amps, but the Graham Slee with upgraded PSU came in at over £300 more than the Rialto, and to my ears was no better.

Rothwell Audio do a cheaper model, the Simplex. This is MM only, and I checked with Rothwell and they confirmed that it is identical to the Rialto minus the MC stage.

As good as both the Rothwell and Graham Slee amps were, I thought that my internal Creek phonoboard held its own, and so I would also suggest that you consider the Creek OBH-15 Mk2 as an alternative option. Retails for approx the same price as the Rothwell Simplex.

 

Around this price range it is highly competitive, and I think there is tremendous choice of phono amps.

 

.

 

Thank you, DIB !

Just now I saw your answer , very useful ! So the Creek OBH 15 is as good as the Rothwell ? But does it do MC  ?

ifor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 03/12/2002 - 11:54
Posts: 995
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

You can listen to any of the Slee phono stages if you join the Slee owners club forum, as DIB did.  Have a look and if you join just hunt out the link for the European Loaner Scheme.

"Inspired" Manticore Mantra TT, Technics SL-7 TT, Graham Slee Reflex M phono preamp.  Cyrus CD8SE.  iMac, Raspberry Pi c/w HiFiBerry Digi c/w Volumio or Rune Audio, Arcam rDAC.  Roksan Kandy LIII amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

DIB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 21/05/2009 - 21:07
Posts: 2353
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

Teo wrote:

Thank you, DIB !

Just now I saw your answer , very useful ! So the Creek OBH 15 is as good as the Rothwell ? But does it do MC  ?

 

Yes it does both MM & MC.

 

http://www.creekaudio.com/phono-pre-amplifiers/obh-15mk2/

 

I suggested the Creek OBH-15 Mk2 as I felt that my Creek Sequel 40 MM phonoboard was comparable to both the Rothwell & Graham Slee to MY ears, and that model will in all likelihood exhibit similar traits, and is at a similar budget level.

 

.

Creek/ProJect/SBT/Epos

Teo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2013 - 18:46
Posts: 106
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

OBH 15 added on the list  Smile , and also found a Lehmann Audio Black Cube on ebay new (, not the statement ,not the SE) in the same price as the Rothwell Simplex and OBH 15 

 

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 3200
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

Good. Have fun. Out of that lot I'd still recommend the Rialto with your Benz. Smile

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen speakers.

Teo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2013 - 18:46
Posts: 106
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

Smile Mmmm' I'll let you know .... Smile

DIB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 21/05/2009 - 21:07
Posts: 2353
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

Al ears wrote:

Good. Have fun. Out of that lot I'd still recommend the Rialto with your Benz. Smile

 

Certainly if I did not already have the Creek phonoboard, the Rothwell Rialto or Simplex would be right at the top of my list.

 

.

Creek/ProJect/SBT/Epos

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 3200
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

Forget the Rialto and anything else.

There is a Tom Evans Microgroove Plus going on eBay for £369 buy-it-now.

Get this Teo as it will decimate the others for sound quality. Wink

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen speakers.

Teo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2013 - 18:46
Posts: 106
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

Al ears wrote:

Forget the Rialto and anything else.

There is a Tom Evans Microgroove Plus going on eBay for £369 buy-it-now.

Get this Teo as it will decimate the others for sound quality. Wink

Thank you for the tip !

The seller states it is set at 0.2mV input and can take  0.15-0.4 mV input and my Benz gives 0.5 mV ,so 2.5 x over the nominal input . I'm wondering if this couldn't give some clipping distorsions ?  :?

Teo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 13/11/2013 - 18:46
Posts: 106
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

Curious about how much my amp/speakers would show an obvious  difference  against the 640P and would become a limiting factor ? Probably nobody could say until I'll listen  >)

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 3200
RE: Rothwell Rialto phono stage ?

Teo wrote:

Al ears wrote:

Forget the Rialto and anything else.

There is a Tom Evans Microgroove Plus going on eBay for £369 buy-it-now.

Get this Teo as it will decimate the others for sound quality. Wink

Thank you for the tip !

The seller states it is set at 0.2mV input and can take  0.15-0.4 mV input and my Benz gives 0.5 mV ,so 2.5 x over the nominal input . I'm wondering if this couldn't give some clipping distorsions ?  :?

You could always email Tom Evans to find out .

Here:- http://www.audiodesign.co.uk/

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen speakers.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments