21 posts / 0 new
Last post
plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16517
Good Morning Judge.

Played an awful lot of 10cc's albums recently 'Deceptive Bends' and 'Bloody Tourists'. The former (IMHO) is one of the best albums of the 70s. Just dug out the latter this morning (both on vinyl), can't believe they haven't been mentioned more on this forum.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Ravey Gravey Davy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 16:47
Posts: 2679
RE: Good Morning Judge.

Only a couple of days ago actually

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16517
RE: Good Morning Judge.

That was about preferred decades. I'm talking about individual albums as in these or Talking Heads or a raft of others over the years.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3556
RE: Good Morning Judge.

I like 10cc. In fact 'Changing Faces' by 10cc and G&C was the first CD I ever bought in 1987. 'Wall Street Shuffle' from that very same CD remains one of my test tracks when I change something in my HiFi. Shame that 'Changing Faces' contains the shorter mix of Rubber Bullets: I suspect it was done because the predominant vinyl version was already crammed with nearly an hour of music. It also misses what I think are a few essential tracks like 'Neanderthal Man' and 'The Dean And I'.

There's been at least five compilation albums I can think of (and probably some I can't) from 1975 to 2006. I find you've got to be careful because the SQ can change a lot from album to album, with different masters (or different generations of the same master), and sometimes different mixes. Spotify can be useful here.

chrisr1718's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 18/09/2009 - 08:49
Posts: 120
RE: Good Morning Judge. RE: Good Morning Judge.

MajorFubar wrote:

It also misses what I think are a few essential tracks like 'Neanderthal Man' ...

Neanderthal Man was by Hotlegs, yes I know it was essentially the same members, minus Graham Gouldman. It was them messing around in the studio they'd just set up. The name, Hotlegs, refers to a girl at the studio who always wore hotpants (remember them?). I always like the B side as well, You Didn't Like It Because You Didn't Think Of It.

My favourite 10cc albums are the earlier ones, Sheet Music & Original Soundtrack.

Must get them back on the turntable! Smile

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16517
RE: Good Morning Judge. RE: Good Morning Judge.

chrisr1718 wrote:

MajorFubar wrote:

It also misses what I think are a few essential tracks like 'Neanderthal Man' ...

Neanderthal Man was by Hotlegs, yes I know it was essentially the same members, minus Graham Gouldman. It was them messing around in the studio they'd just set up. The name, Hotlegs, refers to a girl at the studio who always wore hotpants (remember them?). I always like the B side as well, You Didn't Like It Because You Didn't Think Of It.

My favourite 10cc albums are the earlier ones, Sheet Music & Original Soundtrack.

Must get them back on the turntable! Smile

Seem to remember a friend having the single of Neanderthal Man. Didn't it have a "Give Peace A Chance" beat to it?

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

chrisr1718's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 18/09/2009 - 08:49
Posts: 120
RE: Good Morning Judge. RE: Good Morning Judge.

plastic penguin wrote:

chrisr1718 wrote:

MajorFubar wrote:

It also misses what I think are a few essential tracks like 'Neanderthal Man' ...

Neanderthal Man was by Hotlegs, yes I know it was essentially the same members, minus Graham Gouldman. It was them messing around in the studio they'd just set up. The name, Hotlegs, refers to a girl at the studio who always wore hotpants (remember them?). I always like the B side as well, You Didn't Like It Because You Didn't Think Of It.

My favourite 10cc albums are the earlier ones, Sheet Music & Original Soundtrack.

Must get them back on the turntable! Smile

Seem to remember a friend having the single of Neanderthal Man. Didn't it have a "Give Peace A Chance" beat to it?

Sort of, yes. I'm sure it's on Youtube somewhere.

 

John Duncan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23058
RE: Good Morning Judge. RE: Good Morning Judge.

I saw some incarnation of 10cc at Hampton open air pool a couple of years ago.  It wasn't very good.

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3556
RE: Good Morning Judge.

Yep, Neanderthal Man was by Hotlegs. So maybe including it as 10cc would be a bit dubious. Mind you, one of the more recent compilation albums (might have been the 2006 one) had 'Bridge To Your Heart' on it...

Ravey Gravey Davy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 16:47
Posts: 2679
RE: Good Morning Judge.

plastic penguin wrote:

That was about preferred decades.

Quite right.Silly me. Cno listing that album as one his favourites doesn't count as a mention.

I must pay less attention.

ifor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 03/12/2002 - 11:54
Posts: 977
RE: Good Morning Judge.

Only last week I listed Sheet Music, Original Soundtrack, How Dare You and Deceptive Bends in the What Vinyl Are You Listening To thread.  Deceptive bends does have some good tracks on it, but Mingus Godley & Creme it's pretty poor compared to the previous three albums, IMO.

hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2460
RE: Good Morning Judge.

ifor wrote:

Only last week I listed Sheet Music, Original Soundtrack, How Dare You and Deceptive Bends in the What Vinyl Are You Listening To thread.  Deceptive bends does have some good tracks on it, but Mingus Godley & Creme it's pretty poor compared to the previous three albums, IMO.

 They would have been an interesting band with Mingus Smile .But seriously, I agree completely. 10cc were my favourite band when I was a lad and I remember the disappointment the first time I heard Deceptive Bends. I stll regularly listen to How Dare You and The Original Soundtrack, as well as L and Freeze Frame.

ifor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 03/12/2002 - 11:54
Posts: 977
RE: Good Morning Judge.

hammill wrote:

They would have been an interesting band with Mingus Smile .

I really should check before I post!

I saw them at the Colston Hall in Bristol on the How Dare You tour.  It was superb.  I saw three "perfect" performances there and this was one of them; the other two were Supertramp and Jethro Tull.

RobinKidderminster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 27/05/2009 - 14:24
Posts: 2521
RE: Good Morning Judge. RE: Good Morning Judge.

John Duncan wrote:

I saw some incarnation of 10cc at Hampton open air pool a couple of years ago.  It wasn't very good.

Saw them twice recently. A superb evening. Different lineup ofcourse from original but an ezcellent band still. How Dare You and DB on vinyl. Brilliant

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

 

hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2460
RE: Good Morning Judge.

ifor wrote:

hammill wrote:

They would have been an interesting band with Mingus Smile .

I really should check before I post!

I saw them at the Colston Hall in Bristol on the How Dare You tour.  It was superb.  I saw three "perfect" performances there and this was one of them; the other two were Supertramp and Jethro Tull.

 

I have never seen Supertramp (Crime of the Century is a fine album) but I have seen Tull a few times and they were excellent (especially the first time in the late seventies when Anderson's voice was still strong).

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3568
RE: Good Morning Judge.

hammill wrote:

ifor wrote:

hammill wrote:

They would have been an interesting band with Mingus Smile .

I really should check before I post!

I saw them at the Colston Hall in Bristol on the How Dare You tour.  It was superb.  I saw three "perfect" performances there and this was one of them; the other two were Supertramp and Jethro Tull.

 

I have never seen Supertramp (Crime of the Century is a fine album) but I have seen Tull a few times and they were excellent (especially the first time in the late seventies when Anderson's voice was still strong).

 

Saw Tull 2x in late 70s they were great live, Hammersmith Odean Feb 1977, almost as good as Graham Parker.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments