34 posts / 0 new
Last post
anis93's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 09/07/2013 - 11:50
Posts: 40
SANSUI LOVERS ... !
English

 

Hi there s any sansui lovers who did upgrade for better and modern amplifiers ?

can you tell me what is your experience ? Which kind off improvement did you get?

thank you , i will appreciat for your information, and your recommendation as i m looking to get a better amplifier. 

anis93's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 09/07/2013 - 11:50
Posts: 40
Seriously sansui owners are

Seriously sansui owners are dead?

BigH's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 14 min ago
Joined: 29/12/2012 - 12:31
Posts: 3817
RE: SANSUI LOVERS ... !

What budget and speakers do you have?

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: SANSUI LOVERS ... !

Sansui?  Leema and Arcam probably.  I used to have an AU-217 and a 717.  Leema's Pulse II was pretty close.  

sthomas048's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 day ago
Joined: 23/05/2009 - 14:29
Posts: 323
RE: SANSUI LOVERS ... !

Well I once had an AU-999 then foolishly sold it. I doubt anything modern could better it thh.

anis93's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 09/07/2013 - 11:50
Posts: 40
RE: SANSUI LOVERS ... !

Hi big h,

thank for your reply, i ve got thousand pounds for the amps and i owne some loudspeakers triangle antal 202 :120 watts -91db.

50hz -20hz . They sound bright . That why i need a amp warm and and tube sound like .

anis93's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 09/07/2013 - 11:50
Posts: 40
RE: SANSUI LOVERS ... !

Hi the record spot, when you say lema pulse what pretty close , you mean your sansui still sound better ?

anis93's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 09/07/2013 - 11:50
Posts: 40
RE: SANSUI LOVERS ... !

Hi thank sthomas048,

for what i hear the AU999 was a pretty good amp, after time you didn t fine anytime you can matchpr outperfome your sansui?

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16850
RE: SANSUI LOVERS ... !

anis93 wrote:

Hi the record spot, when you say lema pulse what pretty close , you mean your sansui still sound better ?

Can't comment on Sansui stuff - not heard any of their amps for donkeys. Obviously The Record Spot has a healthy bias towards Sansui. What I can tell you about the Leema is very few amps, modern or old, comapares in terms of tight, fast bass. A lot of people refer to Naim as having PRaT, but IMHO Leema is amonst some of the very best those terms. If you're, however, looking for a warm cuddly sound, Leema isn't for you.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

matthewpiano's picture
Online
Last seen: 49 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8379
RE: SANSUI LOVERS ... !

I have always liked older Sansui gear and I still have an AU-4400 as well as the smaller AU2900 and AU2200.  Not that long ago I even had a brief flirt with having the 4400 in my main system.  Some things are really good.  These amps tend to have a feel good factor and a warmth that is very pleasing.  However, it didn't take long after putting the Denon back on to realise that really is substantially better.  More detail, more control, better dynamics, better balance across the frequency range - just better all round.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16850
RE: SANSUI LOVERS ... !

matthewpiano wrote:

I have always liked older Sansui gear and I still have an AU-4400 as well as the smaller AU2900 and AU2200.  Not that long ago I even had a brief flirt with having the 4400 in my main system.  Some things are really good.  These amps tend to have a feel good factor and a warmth that is very pleasing.  However, it didn't take long after putting the Denon back on to realise that really is substantially better.  More detail, more control, better dynamics, better balance across the frequency range - just better all round.

More detail, better control and better dynamics with the Sansui or Denon, Matt?

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

matthewpiano's picture
Online
Last seen: 49 min 20 sec ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8379
RE: SANSUI LOVERS ... !

Sorry PP, I wasn't very clear!  The Denon is superior.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16850
RE: SANSUI LOVERS ... !

matthewpiano wrote:

Sorry PP, I wasn't very clear!  The Denon is superior.

Thanks Matthew.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: SANSUI LOVERS ... !

anis93 wrote:

Hi the record spot, when you say lema pulse what pretty close , you mean your sansui still sound better ?

 

If I was buying now, I'd go with the Leema.  If you're looking at vintage gear and the Sansui "17" series is definately that, then you've got additional servicing costs.  In my case, I spent £200 buying the amp and then a further £150 having it checked out.  £350.  £699 would've bought me a Leema Pulse II at the time and the audible difference was small.  I liked the Sansui as it had a very distinctive appearance, but great sound.  You can get that sound still today and my current amp probably walks all over the pair of them.

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: SANSUI LOVERS ... !

plastic penguin wrote:

anis93 wrote:

Hi the record spot, when you say lema pulse what pretty close , you mean your sansui still sound better ?

Can't comment on Sansui stuff - not heard any of their amps for donkeys. Obviously The Record Spot has a healthy bias towards Sansui. What I can tell you about the Leema is very few amps, modern or old, comapares in terms of tight, fast bass. A lot of people refer to Naim as having PRaT, but IMHO Leema is amonst some of the very best those terms. If you're, however, looking for a warm cuddly sound, Leema isn't for you.

 

PP - the AU717 has a very contemporary sound, and didn't do warm and cuddly.  Neither does the 217 come to think of it.  And yes, it was comfortably in the same league as the Leema.  I just couldn't be bothered taking it back to the repair guy every six months or so.  

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16850
RE: SANSUI LOVERS ... !

the record spot wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

anis93 wrote:

Hi the record spot, when you say lema pulse what pretty close , you mean your sansui still sound better ?

Can't comment on Sansui stuff - not heard any of their amps for donkeys. Obviously The Record Spot has a healthy bias towards Sansui. What I can tell you about the Leema is very few amps, modern or old, comapares in terms of tight, fast bass. A lot of people refer to Naim as having PRaT, but IMHO Leema is amonst some of the very best those terms. If you're, however, looking for a warm cuddly sound, Leema isn't for you.

 

PP - the AU717 has a very contemporary sound, and didn't do warm and cuddly. 

The warm and cuddly wasn't a direct reference to Sanui, it was a general subtext statement. Apologies for not making it clear.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Pages

Log in or register to post comments