2551 posts / 0 new
Last post
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5779
The WHF Film Club
English

Thinking about starting a film club for those members who are interested in the less mainstream side of cinema, specifically, arthouse and world cinema.

I think we will have to limit the club to a maximum of 6 members, with one member per month recommending a film for all members to view during that month, either by renting or buying the film.

Basically, it's like a book club, but with films.

Who'd like to join?

 

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5779
Film Club

Forgot to say.

Membership is very restricted in numbers, so if you would like to join, you must list 3 films that you would recommend if you were to become a member.

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6429
RE: Film Club

As per other thread, I'm in. 

 

Watched Leon Morin, Pretre last week, fantastic. Have been brushing up on a bit of French cinema so would also recommend The 400 Blows and Pickpocket. These are probably fairly mainstream for world cinema but I've never watched many French films. 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5779
RE: Film Club

BenLaw wrote:

As per other thread, I'm in. 

 

Watched Leon Morin, Pretre last week, fantastic. Have been brushing up on a bit of French cinema so would also recommend The 400 Blows and Pickpocket. These are probably fairly mainstream for world cinema but I've never watched many French films. 

Dear Sir,

I am pleased to inform you that your application for membership of the WHF Film Club has been successful.  :grin:

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6429
RE: Film Club

Ta boss. Now how much are the subs?

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

I think this four movies are not so mainstream:

- Night Train to Lisbon

- The Intouchable

- Monsieur Lazhar

- A Late Quartet

 

:cheers:

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5779
RE: Film Club

BenLaw wrote:

Ta boss. Now how much are the subs?

Just the cost of renting/buying the movie of the month.

Of course, I could fast track you to the top of the pile for choosing the first film of the month, but I'm not cheap.  :grin:

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5779
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

I think this four movies are not so mainstream:

- Night Train to Lisbon

- The Intouchable

- Monsieur Lazhar

- A Late Quartet

 

:cheers:

Well done sir, your membership has also been accepted, please await further instructions.  :)

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

I think this four movies are not so mainstream:

- Night Train to Lisbon

- The Intouchable

- Monsieur Lazhar

- A Late Quartet

 

:cheers:

Well done sir, your membership has also been accepted, please await further instructions.  :)

Wink Dirol Dance 4

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6429
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

Btw can we have a rule that the film must be available on lovefilm? I'm doing my best to avoid buying any new films unless I've watched them and class them as good enough for multiple viewing. Personal circumstances also mean my cinema trips are extremely limited. 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5779
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

We have 3 members, only 3 places left.

Strapped!!!!!!??????

OK. 2 places left, I'm pretty sure Strapped is up for it, so I'll reserve a place at the table until he either confirms, or says otherwise.

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5779
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

BenLaw wrote:

Btw can we have a rule that the film must be available on lovefilm? I'm doing my best to avoid buying any new films unless I've watched them and class them as good enough for multiple viewing. Personal circumstances also mean my cinema trips are extremely limited. 

Once we have all 6 members, we'll all have a chance to create the rules, then go from there.

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

I don't have Lovefilm, I think there is no need to limitate to one service provider :hand: , i don't go to video clubs or to the cinema for that matter, i watch all my movies from the on line video club of my cable service. :?

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 19:33
Posts: 5779
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

I don't have Lovefilm, I think there is no need to limitate to one service provider :hand: , i don't go to video clubs or to the cinema for that matter, i watch all my movies from the on line video club of my cable service. :?

Ben just means that any film that we recommend must be on Lovefilm, or it would be better for him if it was, you don't need to be a member of Love film, I'm not. 

Lounge: Panasonic TX-P50GT50 / Yamaha RX-A2020 / Panasonic DMP-BDT110 / Dali Zensor 3 / Dali Zensor Vokal / Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl Edition / Roksan Radius 5.2 / WDTV My Book Live / Seagate Expansion / Sky HD Box 

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6429
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

Pretty much every contemporary film which is out for rental will be available on lovefilm. What made it occur to me was Night Train to Lisbon, which looks like it may not have a rental release yet. I wouldn't be able to watch that (yet). Also, some more obscure older films are not on lovefilm. 

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2405
RE: The all new WHF Film Club needs members

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

I don't have Lovefilm, I think there is no need to limitate to one service provider :hand: , i don't go to video clubs or to the cinema for that matter, i watch all my movies from the on line video club of my cable service. :?

Ben just means that any film that we recommend must be on Lovefilm, or it would be better for him if it was, you don't need to be a member of Love film, I'm not. 

I understood what Ben suggested, I think we shouldn't limit the suggestions to one video operator, some films can stay out in that case... Just saying... :roll:

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

Pages

Log in or register to post comments