10 posts / 0 new
Last post
theflyingwasp's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 26/02/2013 - 21:33
Posts: 639
Best scenes to demo picture quality

Just wondering what scenes other people use to demo their system.

rocketrazor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 12/12/2009 - 17:29
Posts: 795
RE: Best scenes to demo picture quality

I like a few films and a few sscenes

first has to be the dark knight, there's a few IMAX shots which can look superb, the opening scene is awesome

second is the lorry seen under Gotham city

third transformers, the first one the attack on the air field at the beginning of the film

fourth the desert battle where he try's to phone the pentagon 

fifth is the 2nd transformers, the fight seen in IMAX where Optimus prime gets defeated

Sixth the desert battle before Optimus prime is revived

seventh is total recall with the roof top chase

I  hear tron is rather good but I haven't seen it

will be interesting to see what others like to try on though

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12939
RE: Best scenes to demo picture quality

theflyingwasp wrote:

Just wondering what scenes other people use to demo their system.

 

Narnia when they are at the beach is a good one.  Tinkerbell The Lost Treasure is reference quality too.  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12939
RE: Best scenes to demo picture quality

Band of Brothers, Toy Story 3, Slash Made in Stoke, Keane live at the O2, Iron Maiden Flight 666, Avatar and Black Hawk Down.  Django Unchained is good too.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12939
RE: Best scenes to demo picture quality

The Batmans, Inception, Drive, Pearl Harbor, National Treasures, Transformers and Star Wars.

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Son_of_SJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 6 days ago
Joined: 10/09/2009 - 16:24
Posts: 1117
RE: Best scenes to demo picture quality

gel wrote:

Band of Brothers, Toy Story 3, Slash Made in Stoke, Keane live at the O2, Iron Maiden Flight 666, Avatar and Black Hawk Down.  Django Unchained is good too.

gel wrote:

The Batmans, Inception, Drive, Pearl Harbor, National Treasures, Transformers and Star Wars.

Gel, the title of this thread is best SCENES to demo picture quality. Surely you have to quote specific scenes within films, rather than whole films, no? My current favourite is from about 40 minutes and 50 seconds of Skyfall, with 33 seconds left of Chapter 10, leading into the night lights of Shanghai at Chapter 11 starting from 41 minutes and 24 seconds. I think it's important to show a bit of the normally lit Chapter 10 before showing Chapter 11, to provide the contrast.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12939
RE: Best scenes to demo picture quality

Son_of_SJ wrote:

gel wrote:

Band of Brothers, Toy Story 3, Slash Made in Stoke, Keane live at the O2, Iron Maiden Flight 666, Avatar and Black Hawk Down.  Django Unchained is good too.

gel wrote:

The Batmans, Inception, Drive, Pearl Harbor, National Treasures, Transformers and Star Wars.

Gel, the title of this thread is best SCENES to demo picture quality. Surely you have to quote specific scenes within films, rather than whole films, no? My current favourite is from about 40 minutes and 50 seconds of Skyfall, with 33 seconds left of Chapter 10, leading into the night lights of Shanghai at Chapter 11 starting from 41 minutes and 24 seconds. I think it's important to show a bit of the normally lit Chapter 10 before showing Chapter 11, to provide the contrast.

 

All of them are pretty good all the way through.   Smile  Specific scenes Return of the Jedi ending scene.  Narnia Prince Caspian at the beach.  Toy Story 3 - opening scene.  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 12939
RE: Best scenes to demo picture quality

Black Hawk Down when it gets dark.  Drive opening scene.  Kick-Ass ending scene.  

Home cinema system: Panasonic 50VT65 (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.  Headphones: B&O H6.  Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Son_of_SJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 6 days ago
Joined: 10/09/2009 - 16:24
Posts: 1117
RE: Best scenes to demo picture quality

The first approximately 3 minutes of Blade Runner. The actors' names appearing and then fading out in white against a black background really shows the differences between my four televisions (I can send the same signal to all four at once) with the Pioneer PDP LX5090 of course being the best.

mr malarky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 04/04/2009 - 13:14
Posts: 908
RE: Best scenes to demo picture quality

Pretty much any scene from kill bill 1 or 2.  Smile

Log in or register to post comments